Cuckoo with continuum next to linnStrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure if you saw this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ92w-XECyc

a few notes:

- The guy playing LinnStrument is NOT prepared.
- Cuckoo shows a chilling response on the Continuum
- I believe that the Linnstrument is CAPABLE doing what continuum is doing.
I’ve tried a few patches on a NON MPE synth SKULPT.. (That is one I have handy)
I can get pretty close using after touch as volume control and velocity->negative attack/ Velo->Filter ADSR ... etc (4-5 mods)

One question:

Does it make sense to “sense/read" which finger pushed a pad on linnstrumment ? This way the Linnstrument could do some tweaking based on strength of fingers and / or tweak for nail hitting the pad. Pinky is NOT as strong as other fingers ... here is another video from cuckoo where he describes this on Arturia keystep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtqfsn0wpSo

Thanks Funktree

funktree wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:34 pm - The guy playing LinnStrument is NOT prepared.
Could you elaborate on this? I’m “the guy” and I see you’ve posted this comment on YouTube as well without any further explanation :wink:

Ha, I wouldn't worry about funktree's unfounded opinions, NightMachines. Seriously, looking at his other posts here... Pff. Just keep on doing what you're doing, man. You can't please all the people all the time (wink).

Cheers!

Thanks, John! I’m used to trolling on YouTube and that not much of a discussion can be had over there sometimes. But when I read the thread here, I thought I’d ask for a little more elaboration, just in case funktree wasn’t actually trolling ... I mean this is a discussion forum after all, so I hope he chimes in.

On a different topic, it was really cool for me to get a proper introduction to both the Fingerboard and the Seaboard at the event and I got the feeling that all three controllers are so unique, that one’s behavior or even one’s music might turn out completely different with each device. Having the Eaganmatrix synth engine married so closely with the Fingerboard allows for some really cool patches and Roli’s Equator synth is also very suited to the Seaboard. Like I said in the video, I had the experience that finding sound sources for MPE controllers can be a bit of a challenge, especially when you’re not working with a computer DAW. But even though the Linnstrument doesn’t have its own synth, I’m still very happy with my purchase and wouldn’t trade it for any one of the others. The isomorphic layout, the surface, the on-device setup controls and the portability make this the best controller for me. If I had the money I would get a Fingerboard in addition to the Linnstrument though ;)

Thanks, NightMachines, for making these two videos. I liked how each person had a unique perspective and a feeling of connection to the instrument he played. No video can cover everything, which is OK. More importantly, it gives viewers a unique insight into some points they made not have previously considered, including the relative advantages of the three unique note arrangements, which I think is something people are curious about, given that all three instruments sense the same 5 types of touch and send the same MIDI messages.

I stumbled upon this earlier today, came here to share it and found a topic already going, you guys are really on the ball, heh.

I've been putting more time into playing my linnstrument lately, not quite on the level seen in this video though, but enjoying the journey. I find the finger finesse challenging, and getting two hands to cooperate.

Its motivating to see people performing that are more practiced at it.

funktree wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:34 pm One question:

Does it make sense to “sense/read" which finger pushed a pad on linnstrumment ? This way the Linnstrument could do some tweaking based on strength of fingers and / or tweak for nail hitting the pad. Pinky is NOT as strong as other fingers ... here is another video from cuckoo where he describes this on Arturia keystep
The not so strong pinky is a problem any pianist has to deal with, and they have done it since centuries succesful with training...
On top, the LinnStrument is much more sensitive than a weighted hammer action keyboard. Pianists have to work much harder on their pinky as we have to do...; - )

The only proper response to this video is: get all three! = )

It really isn't any different, for example, than having multiple guitars: different pickup configuration, different woods, different feel.

I've got 2 out of the 3 and I like them both, for very different reasons. So far, the LinnStrument and the Seaboard have really complimented one another and I'm all for pushing MPE forward as much as possible.
Duality without regard to physicality

I've got 2 out of 3 as well... the Haken and Linnstrument. I want to purchase the Rise 49 as well. They are all so different.

I'm really interested in the hakken... Be great if they would put out a standalone version of the eaganmatrix now there are multiple options for controlling it. I suspect the continumini might end up as that for many...

Thats how mine is being used.

I have had it apart and the main board is fully contained in the area to the left of the playing surface, a standalone sound engine module would be pretty small.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Yup- imagine they could put something together pretty inexpensive without any of the playing surface. The desire would need to be there of course - not sure if there's appetite or if they would see it as removing a key selling point?

Hows the combo of linn and mini working out?

The combo is fantastic, I am gradually getting my head around eigenmatrix, there is a lot going on there!

It really shows off how good the linnstrument is.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

NightMachines wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 pm
funktree wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:34 pm - The guy playing LinnStrument is NOT prepared.
Could you elaborate on this? I’m “the guy” and I see you’ve posted this comment on YouTube as well without any further explanation :wink:
Not sure what to respond with... The LS is much more capable instrument. A bit practice before recording would help. I know you guys were busy with other stuff @reactor, I would be too...

funktree wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:15 pm
NightMachines wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 pm
Not sure what to respond with...
Well, let's see, off the top of my head, you could start with better tact. After that, I don't know, maybe just stick with posting videos of your own, so we can pontificate about your efforts. That seems fair to me.

Cheers!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”