LinnStrument Switches or Footswitches --> Ableton Live MIDI Mapping

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Gang--
I'm trying to use a momentary sustain footswitch to turn on and off a MIDI effect in Ableton Live (Fixed Velocity). I've tried using a simple floor sustain footswitch and also assigning one of the Switch buttons to do the same thing and I'm getting nowhere.

What I'm specifically trying to do is momentarily turn on/off a Fixed Velocity MIDI tool to force a value of 116. What I'm playing from the LinnStrument is an Omnisphere patch that sounds like a distorted guitar. If you hit a note with exactly a velocity value of 116, you get a harmonic; but only at 116. The patch in Omnisphere is a factory patch "PRS Lead Guitar b". I've tweaked it a little for my tastes, but that velocity of 116 still applies no matter how you tweak the patch, it's set that way in the sample table permanently. See image: I want to turn this on and off momentarily as I play.
Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 12.53.10 AM.jpg
There are times that I *want* that harmonic on queue and on demand, and the Fixed Velocity tool in Live is way to do it. There's just no way to hit a velocity of 116 by hand consistently. I don't see why the footswitch and switches are not doing the trick (or why Live is not acknowledging them as valid). I've tried changing the CC assignment to other open CC numbers: 65, 90, 87.

Live sees the CC command in general, by way of the indicator light in the top righthand corner of Live. But when I try to MIDI Map this CC to what I'm trying to do, there is no recorded MIDI mapping (Live will not register it at all).

Can anyone verify that Live sees the switch or footswitch sending CC (anything) data, but you cannot MIDI map it to anything successfully, as it's happening for me? FWIW I can get my primary keyboard controller's sustain pedal to map just fine, so this is bewildering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If you have a way to make this work from either Switch 1, Switch 2, or the Footswitches, please let me know what you did to make it work.

Forgot to mention: Ableton Live Suite, v10.0.6

In Live->Preferences->Midi make sure "Remote" is on.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

One option would be to hold Global Settings > Velocity Sens column > Fixed in order to set the Fixed Velocity level to 116, then turn on Fixed Velocity when you want that sound.

Another option would be to hold Global Settings > Velocity Sens column > High, Medium or Low in order to set the High Velocity Limit to 116. Then every hard hit would produce a velocity of 116, and you could select High, Medium or Low Velocity Sensitivity in order to make it easier or harder to hit the pad in order to send the maximum 116 velocity.

Hi Roger!
BodDog hit it right on the head here:
BobDog wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:03 am In Live->Preferences->Midi make sure "Remote" is on.
I've never had to turn on the MIDI Remote setting in Live for the LinnStrument... until now.
Sort of a "duh" solution. But I will try your suggestion after I get past this show.
For right now, I have both a momentary floor footswitch (responds as "Foot R" due to the mono tip), and the "Switch 2" both set to CC87. In Live, that turns the "Fixed Velocity" tool in Live powered on and off, just what I need. Now I need to get better foot/hand timing down to get kind of an Eddie Van Halen thing going.

An outcome of this style/idea of playing has resulted in my making a new feature request:
Could we have a setting to make Switch 1 & 2 be "always momentary AND instant"?
Therefore one can play notes quickly with the right hand while doing extremely momentary (gated) on/off CC triggers with the left. Otherwise right now, the Switch 1 & 2 act as: Latch if you press briefly, momentary if you hold... and the hold-for-momentary is too long for what I'm trying to do.

...unless of course this feature is already implemented. It may be. I'm several revs behind in firmware.

~r

Oh! and if anyone is keeping score and trying this at home using Live?

Change that setting in the Fixed Velocity tool's Operation setting from "Both" to "Velocity" (in other words, paying no attention to Release Velocity), otherwise you run the risk of ever-sustaining notes. Which I just found out the hard way.

Lionscub— that’s the first request I’ve had for such a detailed change, so it’s difficult to see the merit in adding a setting for toggle/momentary delay.

If you assign both a foot switch and panel switch your intended CC, the foot switch will be momentary and the panel switch will toggle on short presses, which will give you the feature you request. Other than that, you could reduce the hold delay in the firmware, or someone might be willing to do the source code change for you.

ooooh making my own custom code from the firmware... that's an idea. :)

Truth be told I'm exposing my weakness here.
I have poor timing with a foot pedal; great timing between my two hands, though.
I think I might be better off just soldering a easier-to-press momentary switch for the tabletop and plug it in the foot pedal jack, then I'll get those rapid-fire on/offs I'm looking for; rather than using this stiff, spring-loaded foot pedal with lots of travel that makes me feel clumsy. I'll post a video when this comes to fruition.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”