Customized firmware available (for experimenters)

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just downloaded the most recent installer (same link you provided), and it is identical to the one that I've been using. For the record, I'm running on Windows 10 and have not tried updating the Linnstrument using a Mac. Make sure that you remove any other *.bin files from the directory. You should only have the "exe" and the custom "bin". Otherwise, it might pick up the original "bin" file instead of the new one.

Hi Nathan - I already made sure that no other .bin files were in the folder before installing so maybe there is a difference in the behaviour of the Windows and Mac installers - but I can easily workaround this by installing from my Windows laptop.

Unfortunately my iConnectAudio4+ audio/midi interface has started to behave erratically when transferring Midi so I'm going to have to resolve that first and then I can return to your custom firmware.

Thanks again - and I appreciate the software development !

Antony.

No worries. I actually am still experiencing some missed/lagged notes when using my alternative velocity calculation. So, I'm going to be uploading a new version (K08) which adds a global option (using the unused pad below "TAP TEMPO") to toggle between the original velocity calculation and my new experimental one.

My experimental one is SUPPOSED to improve the consistency of detected velocity of new notes, as well as improving timing when playing chords. However, I don't fully understand what's going in in the syste, and so sometimes my code results in delays for detecting the start of new notes, and sometimes it seems to completely miss some notes. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, because it works most of the time but has odd behavior some of the time.

Also, I haven't tuned the response curve for my code, so it sometimes feels "mushy" instead of "snappy" like the finely-tuned standard algorithm.

As such, Geert's algorithm in the standard firmware is definitely superior to my experimental new algorithm. The new option in K08 means that by normal the Linnstrument will use the normal code for velocity calculation, but my new code can still be temporarily enabled for testing. I may end up having to abandon this new velocity calculation completely (it is an experiment, after all), but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”