Hydrasynth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any easy way to get the Hydrasynth to respect the pitch bend range of both the X axis AND the low row pitch bend at the same time?

It's been a long time coming but hopefully next week my hydrasynth will arrive...

Woo, I bet you will like it.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:42 pm Woo, I bet you will like it.
First impressions are pretty good - it's very clean sounding but I get the impression that you can take it wherever you want with programming. I could nit-pick but yes, I think we will get on...

I just finished a sound set for Hydra.
( play with the Linnstrument and Hydra desktop)
Colours Pads for ASM Hydrasynth is Out!
64 presets for ASM Hydrasynth*.
Colours Pads is a collection of 64 atmospheric, aery or grainy texture sounds.
54 Pads & Ambiances, 10 Keys & Lead.
AT, MW, Vel, 8 Hydra macro's ready to use.
*ASM Hydrasynth is required.
https://youtu.be/Wt-u-KmwpiU

https://youtu.be/rtu_WPd2XPw

Best wishes
YY
Best
YY

I'm somewhat on the fence with the hydrasynth - it's incredibly capable and somewhat reminiscent of the xpander in terms of programming options, but I find myself gravitating to the modor due to its character and the hydrasynths lack of it.

There's less options (and modulation) on the modor, but it seems to lean towards what I want/do more easily. Perhaps it's a time thing; it's taken me a few years now to love the modor, so I'll spend more time with the HS and see where I get to...

Can I ask someone with Hydrasynth and Linnstrument to check how does their combo behave with MPE-Yabs?
I have fw 1.5.4. on HSDesktop, MPE mode is ON. Linnstrument transmits on multiple channels (no difference if MPE mode is on on LS or not), Y axis is set to CC74, pressure to channel pressure. If on HSD I set the MPE-Yabs as source and map it to any parameter, it behaves irrationally (different parameters react in different ranges, sometimes too narrow range, quite often inverted in negative values, some parameters react to Y axis from half of the physical range). If I use CC074 as mod source instead, it behaves as expected, ranges are mapped properly but CC074 doesn’t work multi-dimensionally and pressing two LS pads at the same time results in two CC074 sources beating each other and controlling the target erratically. In practice it renders the MPE Y axis mapping useless due to absolutely unpredictable behavior. Pressure and X axis are working as expected.
I haven’t tried to do a factory reset yet. I’d be glad if someone can share what is their experience with mapping Y axis in Hydrasynth’s mod matrix. Thanks in advance.

New versions out: the 6-octave 16-voice bitimbral Hydrasynth Deluxe and the 3-octave mini-key Hydrasynth Explorer. The former is shutting up all the people who complained that the original's keyboard was too short, and the latter is astounding folks because it has the full Hydra engine (including MPE, I would presume) with nothing removed in the internals, and will sell for $599.
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

48cube wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:37 pm Can I ask someone with Hydrasynth and Linnstrument to check how does their combo behave with MPE-Yabs?
I have fw 1.5.4. on HSDesktop, MPE mode is ON. Linnstrument transmits on multiple channels (no difference if MPE mode is on on LS or not), Y axis is set to CC74, pressure to channel pressure. If on HSD I set the MPE-Yabs as source and map it to any parameter, it behaves irrationally (different parameters react in different ranges, sometimes too narrow range, quite often inverted in negative values, some parameters react to Y axis from half of the physical range). If I use CC074 as mod source instead, it behaves as expected, ranges are mapped properly but CC074 doesn’t work multi-dimensionally and pressing two LS pads at the same time results in two CC074 sources beating each other and controlling the target erratically. In practice it renders the MPE Y axis mapping useless due to absolutely unpredictable behavior. Pressure and X axis are working as expected.
I haven’t tried to do a factory reset yet. I’d be glad if someone can share what is their experience with mapping Y axis in Hydrasynth’s mod matrix. Thanks in advance.
Curious if you worked this out or got support from ASM.

jsterne wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:53 pm
48cube wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:37 pm Can I ask someone with Hydrasynth and Linnstrument to check how does their combo behave with MPE-Yabs?
Curious if you worked this out or got support from ASM.
In the end I figured it out. MPE-Yabs source is behaving kinda weird. Like if it expects bipolar values of -64 to 64 instead of 0 to 127. So i.e. to cover the whole range of filter cutoff (or any parameter) you need to set the filter value to 64 and set the mod matrix mapping of MPE-Yabs to depth of 64. It will then cover the range of the filter from ‘center’ value of 64 to depth of + and - 64. It makes sense in the end but can be little mind bending if you have clear idea what you want to control with MPE-Yabs.
Still, my unit doesn’t respond to mod wheel MIDI messages at all :? Not really needed wit MPE-Yabs solved but feels like a bug.

Did you ever send a message to ASM about this? My sense is that they are pretty responsive to adding bug fixes in their firmware upgrades, at least they were initially after HS came out.

michaeljk1963 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:20 pm Did you ever send a message to ASM about this? My sense is that they are pretty responsive to adding bug fixes in their firmware upgrades, at least they were initially after HS came out.
They still are. Recent upgrades have slowed down a bit. It's almost like, I dunno, they were releasing two brand-new products or something. :)
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

Hi Folks,
i hope you can help me judging if i have an issue with my LS or HS or if i just setup something wrong.
When playing the HS using my LS connected directly via 5-pin DIN (MPE enabled on HS, ChPerNote on LS), i noticed that every 8th (on some patches every 16th) note i play on the LS seems not to be recognized by the HS. It jsut remains silent. The 9th (17th) note is again played.
Thats weird. Given the limited polyphony of the HS i guessed it may have something to do with polyphony. But its still weird, because it does not happen when using the pads on the HS (using Desktop HS here). And i am talking about single notes. It does also happen when using the easiest possible patch (init patch, without any release dialed into the envelope).

Any thoughts on that are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like you have a midi channel selected on the linn side that isn't recognised/needed by the hydra - probably easiest to post exactly how your midi is set up linn side. What's your midi main channel and which do you have sending Ch per note?

Thanks t-IB. I think i have it sorted out. I used Ch 1 for main and channel 1-8 for ChPerNote.
Now i changed main to 16 and the issue is gone.
I was under the impression, that the different settings for Main, ChPerNote and ChPerRow are not interfering with one another because these are settings for different modes, and as long as the particular mode is not active the settings for this mode do not matter.
Obviously i was wrong. However, i do not understand why i need to select a main channel different from what is used for ChPerNote.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”