Linnstrument Helper: Open Source Mac App to Help Learn the Linnstrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've owned a Linnstrument 128 for the past few years and have become fairly proficient at playing it. Recently, I've been learning to program using Apple's Swift and for the past month have been working on an open source app called Linnstrument Helper to help people visually understand the Linnstrument when they're just starting out (fourths tuning).

Linnstrument Helper currently has the following features:
  • Polyphonic sound engine
  • Displays note velocities, names, and locations on the Linnstrument (up to four notes max currently).
  • Resizable grid elements.
  • Compatible with both the full-size Linnstrument and Linnstrument 128.
Screenshot

System Requirements
  • Mac OS Catalina (10.15)
Binaries Installation Instructions
  • Download Linnstrument Helper 1.1 and unzip.
  • Connect your Linnstrument to your computer and power it on
  • Set the octave to be in the middle
  • Run Linnstrument Helper and have fun!
Depending on time constraints, I'd like to add additional features including the following:
  • Speed optimization
  • UI Improvements
  • Chord detection
  • Scale layouts (chosen in settings)
  • Adjustable synth parameters
If anyone codes in Swift and would like to help out, that would be great! You can check out the issues page on Github for a list of things which need work. :)
Last edited by markjames on Thu May 07, 2020 4:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

I have a LS 200 and a Mac Mini. I'll send you a PM.

Rickus wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:47 pm I have a LS 200 and a Mac Mini. I'll send you a PM.
Great, thanks! :)

Very nice, markjames. Thank you for this contribution to those learning the Fourths String Layout.

Roger_Linn wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 am Very nice, markjames. Thank you for this contribution to those learning the Fourths String Layout.
Thanks for the kind feedback Roger! And thanks again for creating such a wonderful instrument!

Thanks for sharing this and welcome. I‘ll have a look at it later and see how I can adapt it to my 200 in 6th tuning...

Many thanks to forums user Rickus for sending me the MIDI note range data I needed from the full size Linnstrument! I've spent the morning working on implementing the note detection and have now released a binary here on Github!

Things are working, but I suspect I may need to work on a few speed optimizations as well as other tweaks. Feedback welcome! :)
Last edited by markjames on Thu May 07, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for building the new version, Mark-James. I just PMed you your first bug report :)

Cheers,
Rick.

Rickus wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:46 pm Thanks for building the new version, Mark-James. I just PMed you your first bug report :)

Cheers,
Rick.
Many thanks Rick! It appears that the bug was due to a few typos in my Linnsturment 200 note mapping function. I've updated the binary to version 1.1 and the proper notes should highlight now. :D

Looks good now, thanks Mark-James.

Rickus wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 am Looks good now, thanks Mark-James.
Glad to hear! And thanks again for all your help! :)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”