A Slippery Subject

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all. The finish on my 128's touch surface has pretty much worn off, and it's difficult to slide notes now. It even winds up moving the whole sheet around. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to add some lube to it that won't harm the plastic?

Sorry about that. The first L128 touch surfaces had a silicone-based non-stick coating that would eventually wear off under pitch slides. The current surfaces use a polyurethane non-stick coating that never wears off. You can order one of the new ones on my online for for $45 + shipping:

https://www.rogerlinndesignstore.com/LS ... urface.htm

You can install it yourself in about 20 minutes by following a video.

Hi Roger, thanks. Ordering now... looking forward to slip sliding away!

Hi Roger. Is there an approximate date or serial number when the new surface was put into use? I’m having some friction issues with mine but not so sure if it’s just bad technique or rough surface.
Dave

Sorry, I should have noted the first serial numbers with the polyurethane non-stick coating, but I didn't. But if you write me at the normal support email address, I might be able to tell you from you serial number. Another way to know is if you have the large LinnStrument model and your touch surface doesn't have the tactile bumps on the "C" note pads, because all of those older surfaces had the older coating.

It's a pretty clear difference. A worn older surface will offer a fairly high resistance to finger slides, especially under higher finger pressure. The new surface glides very easily, even under high finger pressure.

Ah ok. No bumps on mine. I’ll contact you through the support portal and provide the particulars.
Dave

Then you definitely have the earlier surface. You can order a new one on my online store for $60 plus shipping, and you can install it yourself In about 20 minutes by following a video.

[presses pad on sample player, plays back often-used soundbite]
And this kind of response and support (and user repairability!) is why I adore the LinnStrument above and beyond every other MPE controller out there.
[releases pad, goes back to lurking]
Mike Metlay, PhD (nuclear physics -- no, seriously!) :D
listen to me: Mr. Spiral | join the fam: RadioSpiral | my gig: Atomic Words LLC (coming soon)

I checked into my records and here are the approximate serial numbers that first included the current polyurethane non-stick surface that never wears off:

LinnStrument: LNL01171
LinnStrument 128: LNM00466

Got the new surface today - will be installing it tomorrow. Thank you Roger for fantastic service & support!
Dave

Got mine today and installed it no problem. Thanks for the quick shipping, Roger.

I must say it has a marked improvement in terms of reducing friction for slides. Very excited to put it through its paces.

Very glad I saw this thread as I had just assumed my old surface was functioning normally. And to be clear, I was very happy with the performance even with the increased friction, but this really takes performance up a notch. I'd say if you're playing mainly static notes and not doing a lot of pitch slides then it would be less of an improvement.

I think these newer slippery surfaces do not wear like the others did, I have had one of the new ones for quite a while now and it is still like new.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

When I replaced mine, Roger assured me that "You can rub this thing through the next ice age and it will never wear off". :wink:

Cheers!

Perhaps a slight exaggeration but polyurethane is a miracle coating and I'm confident that it will either never wear off or no one will ever live to see it wear off.

That's okay, the last ice age was a downturn for the music industry anyway... :wink:

Return to “Roger Linn Design”