Beware, iLok/PACE installation (BSOD) problems (Structure/Strike)!

Official support for: www.airmusictech.com
starflakeprj
KVRAF
1539 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 am

I just want to give a heads-up regarding some iLok/PACE problems I encountered last night.

I have built a new computer, which I have spent days now installing from scratch. Latest PAC License Support (5.2.1.3096) was already installed when I started to install my AIR plugins.

Usually when you already have PACE installed, the plugin installer skips this step. But since AIR installers are centuries old, two of them (Structure/Strike) forces an installation of an older version (2.4.6). It doesn't remove the newer version either, just installs 2.4.6. At this moment, I didn't know this, so much later, when I rebooted my computer, it blue screened on me, not giving me a clue why.

I spend hours troubleshooting in total, and the only thing I could do was to revert back to the most recent restore point (1+ day).

I started to install the softwares again, but this time I started with the ones I last installed, the AIR plugins. After a restart my computer blue screened again, and now I wasn't only suspicious it could be the AIR installers, I was almost sure. Once again I reverted back to the latest restore point, and after installing Structure and Strike I noticed there were two versions of PACE installed, and this caused the BSOD on boot. To be sure I uninstalled both version and re-installed the latest again, and now it's working fine.

But a question to the AIR people (and all other developers who might read this), WHY are you including the PACE drivers in you installation files? They are quickly getting old, and in this case they are legacy, because you haven't managed to update your software for more than 5 years in most cases.
Intel Core i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 5 | Reason 11.3 | Bitwig Studio 3.2 | Reaper 6.1 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.7 | ~900 VSTs | ~300+ REs

sbangs_air
KVRian
619 posts since 9 Jun, 2014 from UK

Post Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 am

Apologies for the inconvenience we are aware of an issue with the latest Windows 10 update causing conflicts with the bundled pace drivers.

Our latest updates no longer include Pace inside the main installer and update to the latest version. We are in the process of updating all instruments and the first Hybrid 3, Mini Grand and Velvet are now available.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX
Email. sbangs@inmusicbrands.com

quietzone
KVRist
404 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Post Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:27 pm

sbangs_air wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 am
Apologies for the inconvenience we are aware of an issue with the latest Windows 10 update causing conflicts with the bundled pace drivers.

Our latest updates no longer include Pace inside the main installer and update to the latest version. We are in the process of updating all instruments and the first Hybrid 3, Mini Grand and Velvet are now available.
Currently setting up a brand new studio PC. Is it safe to install the old bundled PACE drivers and then upgrade them to the latest version immediately after? Or will they mess up the PC?

After reading this my thought is to install Structure and Strike as the first VSTs on the new system, as a way to work around the bundled drivers issue. But if it can potentially wreck the new PC, I would wait for the updated versions of the plugins and install only Hybrid 3, Mini Grand and Velvet until the others get updated.

Rivanni
KVRist
407 posts since 4 Feb, 2017

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:16 am

quietzone wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:27 pm
sbangs_air wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 am

Currently setting up a brand new studio PC. Is it safe to install the old bundled PACE drivers and then upgrade them to the latest version immediately after? Or will they mess up the PC?
Never install bundled software. No matter what software it is. Always download the most recent version from the website.

sbangs_air
KVRian
619 posts since 9 Jun, 2014 from UK

Post Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:17 am

Please choose "Customise" during installation and choose to Skip the iLok install. Then install separately from their website.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX
Email. sbangs@inmusicbrands.com

quietzone
KVRist
404 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Thanks guys, was more in relation to:
starflakeprj wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 am

Usually when you already have PACE installed, the plugin installer skips this step. But since AIR installers are centuries old, two of them (Structure/Strike) forces an installation of an older version (2.4.6). It doesn't remove the newer version either, just installs 2.4.6. At this moment, I didn't know this, so much later, when I rebooted my computer, it blue screened on me, not giving me a clue why
As Rivanni suggested, I went for the latest iLok version directly from iLok, and I will wait for the updated installers to install Structure and Strike.

Return to “AIR Music Technology”