Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16915 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 am

Ah I'm totally not interested in COB after HCDR album (so, 2003!). :) It all went to shit thereafter.

Bouroki
KVRist
202 posts since 16 Jun, 2013 from Morocco

Re: Thermionik : is there a general timeframe for an update?

Post Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 am

EvilDragon wrote:I somehow found most Recabinet IRs quite muffled or hollow sounding. Not sure why. EQ doesn't help them. Much prefer the 3sigma ones (sorry Shane!). Guess one of these days I should give 'em another spin...
Well that's exactly how I would describe Redwirez. Recab eats it for lunch.

I directly auditioned the different IRs as I played through them... and with Recab it's an instant OH YES! gut reaction, and that's very important for inspiration. In my experience the results can wildly differ between playing through an IR versus comparing on an already recorded DI because the IR chosen for tracking will definitely influence how you play and hence the DI signal.

Kazrog
KVRian
787 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Post Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm

IRs will sound completely different to you depending on what tuning you're using and what key you're in. YMMV.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Thu May 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Well a variety of tunings here (E standard, Eb standard, D standard, C standard with low G on my 7-string), using the same patch across all my guitars, the resulting guitar tone still has a very specific signature of the IRs being used, at least that's how I seem to percieve it. Of course there are slight differences in response due to different pickups, but a large part of IR's signature is still very much present. Hmm, maybe I should record the same riff (adjusted for tuning differences, so same pitches playing) on each of my 4 electrics and compare. Interesting proposition.

Oh yeah. I never liked Redwirez either. Way too complicated/granular to find anything useful in a reasonable timeframe.

Kazrog
KVRian
787 posts since 24 Oct, 2009

Post Thu May 10, 2018 12:21 pm

In making the Recabinet library, my goal was to accurately capture the cabinets and mics in an isolated environment. It's not skewed towards any aesthetic in any conscious way - I was really just going for an accurate representation of the gear we had in the studio.

IRs are kind of like drum samples in that you can tire of certain ones and crave variation. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all if someone doesn't like or use my IRs. I did the best I could, but it was years ago and I might do things differently if I did it again.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog LLC

frthib
KVRist
109 posts since 29 Nov, 2017 from Québec, Québec, Canada

Post Fri May 11, 2018 10:22 am

Kazrog wrote:IRs are kind of like drum samples in that you can tire of certain ones and crave variation.
Yes, the IR selection can make or break an ampsim.. The more I think of it, the more a "default" IR associated to thermionik ampsim would be a good idea to at least "present" your vision when the user is making is first impressions...

I'm "re"discovering thermionik more and more as the time goes by, I always used ... non-compatible IR.. They sound good in certain situation, soso in other ones and the first reflex is to look at the ampsim instead of the IR.. I'm sure a DI'ed boss ds-1 through the right impulse could sound great :D :D*

* : disclaimer; i'm not comparing thermionik to a ds-1. :dog: :party:

frthib
KVRist

Post Fri May 11, 2018 10:38 am

EvilDragon wrote: IRs quite muffled or hollow sounding
Is those IR more of your liking? The sound is in the sm57 family with a duality and a psychoC

https://soundcloud.com/user-670493513/custom-irs

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 am

That's a pretty neat tone - crunchy as fk, but yeah a li'l bit on a muffled side of things - what's the amp settings?

frthib
KVRist

Post Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am

on both amps,

boosted with TSC, both the duality and the psychoC have gain at half(ish), bass 2-3, mids 6, highs 6. presence 6 .. saturation 6-7.. I tried to be inspired by Alexi on those

the trick is in the IR's.... sm57 fredman technique near cap edge 1" from the grill.. a classic. It's the mics I had.. (I made IR's of my cab) .. behringer xm8500 :lol:

post eq, I lowered the highs a little (from 3-4khz, a gentle slope) and added lows at 100hz to add body, scooped the crap at 300hz
originally the recording would have pleased you more i think, it was brighter.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 am

I always max out the Saturation because it just adds more... everything to the sound. Guess I'm a sucker for poweramp distortion :D

(Scooping the crap around 300-450 Hz is usually a good idea, this is where boxiness is often found.)

koitsu
KVRist
41 posts since 19 Jan, 2015

Post Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Feature request:

Skinnable UI

This was mentioned back before Thermionik's release but I guess never panned out.
Users of products like this like to tweak their sounds. Please let them tweak their looks too.
Hey, it works great for Cockos. And it would be unique among guitar sims AFAIK. :wink:

Return to “Kazrog”