Open Sound Control (OSC) is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

u-u-u wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm Just read this news yesterday. New TouchOSC version is out with a lot of interesting features:
https://cdm.link/2021/06/touchosc-next- ... verything/
I just tried it out for good bit yesterday.. the new built-in editor is pretty nifty.. I haven't thoroughly checked it out but the rest of the features but.. it seems like USB still ain't an option for android...

Has anyone used the Open Stage Control server together with a suitable web page that would provide an easy to use 4 x 4 drum pad to directly control Bitwig's Drum Machine device? Kind of an NI Maschine "on the cheap" kinda thing?
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

carlca wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:20 pm Has anyone used the Open Stage Control server together with a suitable web page that would provide an easy to use 4 x 4 drum pad to directly control Bitwig's Drum Machine device? Kind of an NI Maschine "on the cheap" kinda thing?
I've been checking out Moss's page at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvEMlo72ynQ

and it doesn't look as if would be too difficult to knock something up myself. Could be "famous last words", of course 😉

After yesterday's frenzied activity, I'm hoping to use the time more calmly to make some progress with OSC. I'm starting with a barebones template intended to establish communication to and from Bitwig. It is attached to this message.

DrumPads.json.zip

The button has been changed to Push Mode, and has, as its OSC address, `/vkb_midi/1/127`. This doesn't appear to do anything, but whether this because the syntax is wrong or if it is because I haven't set up the MIDI correctly, I am not sure. The video talked about a virtual MIDI device from `nerds.de` but as I am on a Mac, I couldn't use it.

The text label is a bit more interesting. Its OSC address is: `/device/layer/1/name`. In the Bitwig project, I have a Drum Machine device with an `E-Kick` in the first slot. Sometimes, this information is getting through so that in the Chrome browser on my iPad, I do indeed see `E-Kick` in the label text. This isn't consistent; sometimes the text appears and sometimes it doesn't, and I haven't worked out why.

Any guidance will be gratefully received! I feel that I am so close to being able to push ahead with this, and that it is only a basic misunderstanding of the syntax of the OSC addresses which is hindering me.

I should point out that I am running BWS 3.3.10, in order to avoid the BWS 4.0b5 bug.

I should also point out that in light of Moss saying that it didn't really matter which MIDI devicel one used, I've got one named `IAC Driver iPad FormKey` selected since this was the first MIDI device that didn't give an `Already in use` error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

carlca wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 pm The text label is a bit more interesting. Its OSC address is: `/device/layer/1/name`. In the Bitwig project, I have a Drum Machine device with an `E-Kick` in the first slot. Sometimes, this information is getting through so that in the Chrome browser on my iPad, I do indeed see `E-Kick` in the label text. This isn't consistent; sometimes the text appears and sometimes it doesn't, and I haven't worked out why.
I restarted the server about 5 minutes ago, just the time it took to write about half of the previous message, and I've just glanced at my iPad screen, and the Label widget is now showing `E-Kick` but it wasn't initially, It has appeared without any intervention from me...

MoodyB wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:35 pm Doesn't the template on that Github page give you a drums section?

It looks like it should from the screentshots.
What the screenshots on the Kdejaeger web page didn't show, was the Drums tab open within the template with these controls on it, which, in terms of functionality, is exactly what I'm after...

Screenshot 2021-06-26 at 23.17.08.png

Thanks very much for posting this. I can confirm that the controls work as expected. I just need to pretty it all up. It will also serve as brilliant learning materials for me 😀
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Question: how can I fix this control covering up faders on iPad?
photo_2023-07-27_12-49-54.jpg

Return to “Controller Scripting”