Strange behavior of group tracks accessed from a TrackBank

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I'm working on my Akai midimix script, and I noticed that the TrackBank isn't really doing what I want it to when group tracks are involved. I'm on Bitwig Studio 2.2.2, and I'm using the Java API. The entire script is available here: https://github.com/outterback/bitwig-mi ... er/midimix

I'm trying to make a simple mixer that gives me control over 8 consecutive tracks. To do this, I'm creating a TrackBank via getHost().createTrackBank(), as you can see here. If there are Group tracks in my project, the group master track shows up as two tracks in my track bank.

E.g. if I have a project that contains the tracks
Track 1 Group1
Track 2 Instrument1 (Inside Group1)
Track 3 Group2
Track 4 Instrument2 (Inside Group2)
Track 5 Master

Then
Column 1 and 3 on my controller will control Track 1 Group1
Column 2 will control Track 2 Instrument1
Column 4 and 6 will control Track 3 Group2
Column 5 will control Track 4 Instrument2
Column 7 will control the Master track

I noticed there's a createMainTrackBank() method in ControllerHost, that gives you access to everything except for effect tracks and the master track. The TrackBank returned from this method works as I want it to, with no duplicate controls over the group tracks. I do however want to be able to control the Effect tracks as well, without having to do something special with createEffectTrackBank().

I've checked to make sure that the correct channel number is indeed used in the call to trackbank.getChannel(), so in my eyes it looks like there is an invisible Group Master track to the right of the group, the one that you see when you enter the group, as well as the Group track to the left, that you see when you are a level above the group.

Is there a workaround to this, am I missing something, or do I simply have to report this as a bug to the bitwig devs?

That "problem" has existed since Bitwig 1, sadly. When I asked support about it in November 2015, all I got was this:
thank you for your e-mail, but that is actually the Master of the Group and its own content track - both are linked. That is done for technical reasons, as far as i know.
So "technical reasons".. which I read as that very last argument you're pulling when you're not willing to spend time on a proper solution for an obvious flaw in your implementation.

But please try your luck with support again. Maybe there some news I've missed on this. I ended up using only main track banks, as you mentioned, but it's still just annoying :?

Aha, that's unfortunate! Thanks for the reply, I'll send it via support and see what they have to say.

Thanks, curious to hear what they'll tell you.

And just for completeness, the thread from 2 years ago about this issue was this:
viewtopic.php?f=268&t=449786

Good luck!

Return to “Controller Scripting”