DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

You know the SL MK3 has been broken for months in Ableton and Logic. When you press the Option button the parameters disappear from the screen and only come back when you restart the device. However because of your hard work the SL MK3 works perfectly in Bitwig. Thanks @moss!
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

... and here is a little bugfix release 8.51:
  • Requires Bitwig 3.1+.
  • Launchkey Mini Mk3
    • New: Display info if the Metronome was toggled on/off and the drum sequencer page was changed
    • Fixed: The pad rows of the drum configuration mode were flipped
  • Maschine Mikro Mk3
    • Fixed: Displayed Parameter names of row 3 and 4 were flipped
Get it from http://mossgrabers.de

Yeah, so great. Names for User Pages on Push 2. :love: :wheee:
Thank you so much, Jürgen!

Better contrast and other LED colours for seeing immediately, which user page currently is active, would still be nice in the future.

Now in the same project with the updated DrivenByMoss script I lost my user pages. Can I somehow store them the next time or do I have to do it manually whenever you update the script? Do not get me wring: if the answer is "yes, we have to do it manually every time after an update" I would still love the script. :) Just asking to be sure.

Where does Bitwig save this bit of information about the parameters that I mapped to user pages?
Win10 64bit, Bitwig (newest), Studio One (newest), Push 2 and more

https://soundcloud.com/maurice-camplair

DeusMortis wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:01 pm Now in the same project with the updated DrivenByMoss script I lost my user pages.
This should not happen. Could it be that you removed the Push extension and added it again?

Hi Jürgen,

thank you very much for flexi!
Two question i have concerning the basic understanding of assignments (slot-function) in flexi:
I don't know what the Slots "Midi CC" and especially "Users" are used for.

Can i control 2 (or more) different Parameters in Bitwig with the same Hardwareknob with the same CC Number (different Modes?), or can the CC Number exclusively be assigned to one knob/Slot/Function only?

Hm, alright - on my laptop everything stayed the same. Great. But if I open this project on my PC, the User Pages on Push 2 are not there any more. Back on the laptop they are there again. Why? Where is this information stored?

My answer was wrong, so I deleted it. :wink:
Last edited by DeusMortis on Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

babyblue wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm Two question i have concerning the basic understanding of assignments (slot-function) in flexi:
I don't know what the Slots "Midi CC" and especially "Users" are used for.
"MIDI CC" can be used to re-map a (raw) CC.
E.g. if you have a VST, which can control its filter with CC 30 but your controller sends 80. Or you don't have a modulation wheel and want to map a slider to CC 1.

User Parameter modes are explained here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV18yu ... cP&index=3
babyblue wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm Can i control 2 (or more) different Parameters in Bitwig with the same Hardwareknob with the same CC Number (different Modes?), or can the CC Number exclusively be assigned to one knob/Slot/Function only?
I do not prevent that you assign a CC or note multiple times. I would need to check if in that case both are executed or only the first (but you can also test that yourself).

DeusMortis wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:24 pm
babyblue wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm I don't know what the Slots "Midi CC" and especially "Users" are used for.
The "Users" refer to the Preset Pages in every device (I think), please see my screenshot. I think this is only a wrong naming for it. Should maybe be called "Device Preset Pages"? Am I correct?
No. "Users" was #1 and "Device Preset Pages" was #3 in my answer in the other thread.

DeusMortis wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:21 pm Hm, alright - on my laptop everything stayed the same. Great. But if I open this project on my PC, the User Pages on Push 2 are not there any more. Back on the laptop they are there again. Why? Where is this information stored?
Is the Push extension active on the PC? Otherwise you will not see that info.

Yeah, the extension is active. If I do user page mappings on my laptop, save the project (in my Dropbox) and reload it on my PC, it does not show the mappings and the user pages loose the given names. What brings me back to my question: Where is Bitwig saving these data?

If I change user page names, save and go open it on my laptop again, I still see the user page names that I gave it on the laptop. So Bitwig saves it on every machine, not in the library, not in the control scripts, not in the project folder... Why?

I replaced the extension file, which was working before and now the Push doesn't activate in Bitwig. Push 2 is added in the settings but the little activation (on) button in settings won't light up, so it's not being used. Clicking it doesn't turn it on. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Never mind - Restart fixed everything up good!

I just upgraded to 3.1 pretty much just to stay current with the moss scripts, so thanks again so much for your work! The note repeat function is just awesome, I really missed that from Ableton.

Hey Moss, question - Is it or would it be possible to have the note repeat length be a continuous length control? As opposed or in addition to the specific note length settings there are now? I'm guessing maybe that's not possible since it probably uses the input note drawing settings or something, which maybe have to be discrete note length values. Was just thinking a continuous value would be cool for more gradual changes of note length input.

Also curious - Would there be any ability in your script to store the value of multiple parameters outside Bitwig to be able to send instant recall of many parameters at once via some button combination? I'm thinking of Maschine's ability to store and recall snapshots, which Bitwig is missing. But perhaps a control surface would be able to do that? That would be amazing if there was a Maschine like ability to easily hit save to capture the current parameter values of what for example the Push could see, and then later after tweaking parameter be able to hit some buttons to recall that snapshot of parameter values.

Wouldn't it be better to provide a Maschine Mikro Mk3 template instead of the ncc-File which overwrites all the templates in Controller Editor? I saved my configuration beforehand, but if users don't pay attention they could lose their custom mappings.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm Hey Moss, question - Is it or would it be possible to have the note repeat length be a continuous length control? As opposed or in addition to the specific note length settings there are now? I'm guessing maybe that's not possible since it probably uses the input note drawing settings or something, which maybe have to be discrete note length values. Was just thinking a continuous value would be cool for more gradual changes of note length input.
Intersting idea! I did some experiments with that and am not sure yet if it gives any audible benefits but the ability to dynamically change the length and period is very intersting.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm Also curious - Would there be any ability in your script to store the value of multiple parameters outside Bitwig to be able to send instant recall of many parameters at once via some button combination? I'm thinking of Maschine's ability to store and recall snapshots, which Bitwig is missing. But perhaps a control surface would be able to do that? That would be amazing if there was a Maschine like ability to easily hit save to capture the current parameter values of what for example the Push could see, and then later after tweaking parameter be able to hit some buttons to recall that snapshot of parameter values.
I thought about this some time ago as well and decided against it. Main reasons are the problem to manage and store the information. Furthermore, with all the modulation power of Bitwig I found the benefit rather minor, e.g. you can do that with clips.

Return to “Controller Scripting”