DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm Moss, is it technically possible to have the user assigned parameters show the label that was given in the device preset pages? Currently it shows the original name from the device parameter list, but those can't be changed. OR is this a limitation of the API?
The device pages are not related to the user mappings. E.g. you can also assign a parameter to different pages and give them different names. The user mappings currently cannot renamed. You can send a feature request to Bitwig.
Ah I see. So in other words, when you map a parameter from a user preset page, it doesn't actually map that instance of the control, but the parameter behind that (the original)? I guess the request to Bitwig then would be to track which version of that parameter so that it can show the renamed label right? I will send that request.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm
moss wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am The device pages are not related to the user mappings. E.g. you can also assign a parameter to different pages and give them different names. The user mappings currently cannot renamed. You can send a feature request to Bitwig.
Ah I see. So in other words, when you map a parameter from a user preset page, it doesn't actually map that instance of the control, but the parameter behind that (the original)? I guess the request to Bitwig then would be to track which version of that parameter so that it can show the renamed label right? I will send that request.
The user mappings are displayed in the mapping pane in the pane on the right (click the hand symbol at the bottom). The request would be to edit/change the name of the parameter for each mapping.

moss wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm
moss wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:37 am The device pages are not related to the user mappings. E.g. you can also assign a parameter to different pages and give them different names. The user mappings currently cannot renamed. You can send a feature request to Bitwig.
The user mappings are displayed in the mapping pane in the pane on the right (click the hand symbol at the bottom). The request would be to edit/change the name of the parameter for each mapping.
Ah ok. That would be good too. My initial thought was that it should just get the name that was already renamed in the device preset pages. Having a different name in the preset pages from the original and then the possibility of yet another name in the midi mappings pane seems like a lot of possible names. But maybe that would be useful to someone as well. I would personally just want the name that was already assigned in the device preset pages. And given that the purpose of those is for remote control, it kind of makes sense that the name given there would be sent to the controller don't you think?

moss wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:13 pm
bronko83 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:15 pm But the S61 is still a problem here. If i load the script that comes with Bitwig or the generic keyboard + 8 knobs the modwheel strip is working fine. But with this script I just have to touch it and the focus is jumping in Bitwig between the tracks. Maybe you can give me a hint, where i can find the mappings, because I cannot find where they are, if there are some
In the pane on the right there is a hand symbol with a pointing finder. Press that and check if the pane contains any mappings.
Hey,
so the user mappings are completely empty. I tried to find it in the extension code but its hard to follow the references just reading on github. The modwheel seem to trigger the ToggleTrackBanksCommand in Track and Volume Mode. In Parameter Mode it is toggeling the window of a device when selected. But I cannot find where the wiring goes wrong.

Edit: Ok I guess its the BUTTON_MAIN_ENCODER funtionality that the modwheel is asigned to. I assume in the buttonChange method you get the modwheel cc value = 1 which equals to that encoder button value in the button map and executes the actions?

bronko83 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm so the user mappings are completely empty. I tried to find it in the extension code but its hard to follow the references just reading on github. The modwheel seem to trigger the ToggleTrackBanksCommand in Track and Volume Mode. In Parameter Mode it is toggeling the window of a device when selected. But I cannot find where the wiring goes wrong.

Edit: Ok I guess its the BUTTON_MAIN_ENCODER funtionality that the modwheel is asigned to. I assume in the buttonChange method you get the modwheel cc value = 1 which equals to that encoder button value in the button map and executes the actions?
Sorry, you totally lost me. Could you please describe step by step what you are doing and what is going wrong? Thanks.

What happens when you have more than 8 effect sends? I only see page options to see 1-4 or 5-8? Will you be adding the ability to address more in the future?
Thanks
rich

rhawtin wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm What happens when you have more than 8 effect sends? I only see page options to see 1-4 or 5-8? Will you be adding the ability to address more in the future?
Thanks
rich
Yes, you can only control up to 8 sends. No, there are no plans to extend that.

AuralBee wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 pm @Moss
just reporting that for me, the Push 2 user mode still is not usable. In user mode, all the encoders do is assign a midi note, instead of CC nrs. I def. have no other conflicting assignments, rest of yr script works beautifully.
I just tested in Windows 10 with Bitwig 3.1.3 and the User mode knobs seem to work fine on a Push 2. Are you clicking the thing you want in the plugin/device UI to set the focus in the parameter knobs area of the Bitwig container for the plugin/device? And then are you right-clicking the focused parameter knob, choosing "Map to controller or key", and then twisting an unassigned knob on the Push?

Yokai wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm
AuralBee wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 pm @Moss
just reporting that for me, the Push 2 user mode still is not usable. In user mode, all the encoders do is assign a midi note, instead of CC nrs. I def. have no other conflicting assignments, rest of yr script works beautifully.
I just tested in Windows 10 with Bitwig 3.1.3 and the User mode knobs seem to work fine on a Push 2. Are you clicking the thing you want in the plugin/device UI to set the focus in the parameter knobs area of the Bitwig container for the plugin/device? And then are you right-clicking the focused parameter knob, choosing "Map to controller or key", and then twisting an unassigned knob on the Push?
@Yokai:
Thanks for checking (and for your GRID tutorials ;-)) Yes, you accurately describe it, and that is exactly what I do. This worked flawlessly for me until approx three extension-versions ago.
As far as I can recall, I made no changes whatsoever in my setup, but now am convinced it must be something on my side. I even have been looking for remnants of older scripts/extensions that may cause interference, but no luck so far. Maybe I should consider a clean Bitwig install.

The plot thickens:
As I saved some of Moss' older extensions, I just reinstalled 7.40 and... user mode works without any problem. I am lost.

User mode 7.60 also works for me, it stops working from version 8.50. Don't know if there were additional versions imbetween these two. @Moss: Does this provide a clue?

AuralBee wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm User mode 7.60 also works for me, it stops working from version 8.50. Don't know if there were additional versions imbetween these two. @Moss: Does this provide a clue?
Yes, there was an API change. With the symptoms you describe I can only imagine that you are not running Bitwig 3.1.3.

Thanks. Mmm yes I am, I always update immediately when a new version pops up. (my current Bitwig splash screen at least thinks its v 3.1.3)
Reinstalling Bitwig now, let's see see if that helps.

FWIW, it looks like I'm running v8.90 of DrivenByMoss, which I downloaded on 2-Mar-2020.

Thanks again. For me, 8.90 user mode: nada.
After downloading a fresh installer, I just did a repair of my Bitwig 3.1.3 install, but after that: no change. Thanks for now, I give up :(

Return to “Controller Scripting”