DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

User avatar
KVRAF
8258 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 am

porkloin wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:37 pm
I was poking around on reddit and spoke with someone who asked if there were any plans to make more diagrams for other controllers, specifically the Push and Push 2.
Hi :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
8258 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 am

moss wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:25 am
...the Launchpads images soon need some changes.
@Moss, again thanks for doing that hard work! I'd really love to "buy you a beer" at least, so please let me know your PayPal :)

The pictures that @porkloin mentioned changed my perception of the script 180deg. - before I simply couldn't get through some of the stuff, e.g. how you were referring to Pro buttons but to get those you had to 1st hold Capture and use pads on the X. Now all is crystal clear and I've spent few hours already learining to use it. I can't thank you both enough!!! :clap: :hug:

Also, if I may I'd like to offer couple of suggestions for features, assuming current API allows:
  • in Custom mode, can we have buttons to toggle visibility of Remote pages, modulators and device controls?
  • in Custom mode, can we have button to fold / unfold nested devices, so that we could access them too?
  • is it possbile to have Bitwig scroll though the devices chain when we move between devices? or show the devices panel when we switch to Custom mode while the panel is hidden?
  • in Shift mode, there's some weirdness that e.g. I'd enable Arm button for the lower row of Session view, disable it and then I can't get it back again. To have that feature back I need to show/hide other option, e.g. Mutes or Solos and then I can toggle Arm back. The same is true for other options, e.g. if I show & then hide Solos I can't show them again, until I've shown & hidden other option.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRer
12 posts since 3 Feb, 2020

Post Wed May 27, 2020 7:56 am

If you want to do more without the device, note that there is now a simulator for all my supported devices.
Very cool! I had no idea that the device emulator stuff was so robust. Really interested in checking it out, and that unlocks a lot of potential options for me to document other controllers without having access to one.
Another question is how to keep them up-to-date. I guess a first start is not that much work but they also need to be updated when I make changes (could be weekly). E.g. the Launchpads images soon need some changes.
As far as updates go - understandable! I kinda wondered whether the launchpad images might start getting out of date soon too.

Speaking personally, I'm usually responsive to Github PR review requests since I'm already in there for work many days of the week. But, of course, that's just a system that works well for me - I'm happy to help keep the images up to date with whatever workflow you think works best as well.

Beyond that, if you're willing, I'd also like to make sure I share the source design files shared directly with you just in case you ever need to make small modifications and I'm not around to assist. I use a design tool named Figma (https://www.figma.com/) to draw them – it's free for personal use, but is a cloud product that requires an account, etc. If you choose to make an account let me know and I'll add you as an owner on all of the Launchpad files so that we have another admin on the source files in case I win the lottery and disappear from the face of the earth :)

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2738 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am

antic604 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 am
moss wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:25 am
...the Launchpads images soon need some changes.
@Moss, again thanks for doing that hard work! I'd really love to "buy you a beer" at least, so please let me know your PayPal :)

The pictures that @porkloin mentioned changed my perception of the script 180deg. - before I simply couldn't get through some of the stuff, e.g. how you were referring to Pro buttons but to get those you had to 1st hold Capture and use pads on the X. Now all is crystal clear and I've spent few hours already learining to use it. I can't thank you both enough!!! :clap: :hug:

Also, if I may I'd like to offer couple of suggestions for features, assuming current API allows:
  • in Custom mode, can we have buttons to toggle visibility of Remote pages, modulators and device controls?
  • in Custom mode, can we have button to fold / unfold nested devices, so that we could access them too?
  • is it possbile to have Bitwig scroll though the devices chain when we move between devices? or show the devices panel when we switch to Custom mode while the panel is hidden?
  • in Shift mode, there's some weirdness that e.g. I'd enable Arm button for the lower row of Session view, disable it and then I can't get it back again. To have that feature back I need to show/hide other option, e.g. Mutes or Solos and then I can toggle Arm back. The same is true for other options, e.g. if I show & then hide Solos I can't show them again, until I've shown & hidden other option.
Didn't you say I cram too many features in there??? :hihi:

Just did some fixes and improvements to the Shift mode. Also the LP Pro Mk3 is coming along nicely and I am planning to do a longer introduction video as well. Some cool new stuff in there which I am very tempted to port back to the other models as well...

User avatar
KVRAF
8258 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed May 27, 2020 10:30 am

moss wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am
Didn't you say I cram too many features in there??? :hihi:

Just did some fixes and improvements to the Shift mode. Also the LP Pro Mk3 is coming along nicely and I am planning to do a longer introduction video as well. Some cool new stuff in there which I am very tempted to port back to the other models as well...
I did. And I'm sorry. I probably was to stupid to get it without the pictures and they weren't there last time I checked ;) :D

Looking forward to whatever you decide to add and/or fix!
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
6958 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 am

moss wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am
Also the LP Pro Mk3 is coming along nicely and I am planning to do a longer introduction video as well.
:D :tu:

My MK3 Pro is looking forward to this! :hyper:
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRer
12 posts since 24 May, 2020

Post Wed May 27, 2020 3:45 pm

porkloin wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:37 pm
I was poking around on reddit and spoke with someone who asked if there were any plans to make more diagrams for other controllers, specifically the Push and Push
I rearranged the Push 2 manual a little bit in preparing a video tutorial in german. But left the manual in english. Started with the global features. The goal was to look at it from a users perspective.
I put it online as PDF and ODT (LibreOffice)

KVRer
12 posts since 24 May, 2020

Post Thu May 28, 2020 2:24 am

Sorry for the mess links. But it should go away as soon my 5th post is here. And this should be it.

User avatar
KVRist
127 posts since 2 Apr, 2017

Post Sat May 30, 2020 12:56 am

Hi Moss,

I recently found my way back to ann Akai APC40 (after owning a Push2, now sold), and I really appreciate the love you've put in the Bitwig driver for it.

A few observations:
- the grid always start in PLAY mode, even if though the SESSION option is set to ON. I would like to have the APC40 start in SESSION mode, is that possible?
- The Bitwig browser, when opened with SHIFT-STOP ALL CLIPS, responds niceley to the TRACK CONTROL (top) encoders, but it would make so much sense to navigate the Bitwig browser using the BANK SELECT arrow keys, would that be possible?

Thanks you so much for your grand contributions in all these Bitwig controllers, I enjoy it too with the Komplete Kontrol M32.

Cheers,
Joris

KVRer
4 posts since 27 May, 2020

Post Sat May 30, 2020 5:04 am

Installation:
Downloaded DrivenByMoss 8.98 and extracted zip file on my windows 7 Pro computer.
Copied bwextension file to Bitwig 3.1.3 installation in Users/Documents/Bitwig Studio/extensions.
Started Bitwig 3.1.3, went to Settings Controllers. There I found the additional Generic Flexi, a super extension. But this was the only one extra to be found. No other controllers listed and no Midi Monitor which I am very interested in. The add Controller function as well did not list any additional content.
Where is the fault in my installation? Any hint?
Thanks.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2738 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am

porkloin wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:56 am
Beyond that, if you're willing, I'd also like to make sure I share the source design files shared directly with you just in case you ever need to make small modifications and I'm not around to assist. I use a design tool named Figma (https://www.figma.com/) to draw them – it's free for personal use, but is a cloud product that requires an account, etc. If you choose to make an account let me know and I'll add you as an owner on all of the Launchpad files so that we have another admin on the source files in case I win the lottery and disappear from the face of the earth :)
Just created an account under the creative name "moss" :-)
Nevertheless, would be great if you could maintain the changes. Will comment on the previous GitHub issue if necessary.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2738 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sat May 30, 2020 10:11 am

BitwigStarter599 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:04 am
Installation:
Downloaded DrivenByMoss 8.98 and extracted zip file on my windows 7 Pro computer.
Copied bwextension file to Bitwig 3.1.3 installation in Users/Documents/Bitwig Studio/extensions.
Started Bitwig 3.1.3, went to Settings Controllers. There I found the additional Generic Flexi, a super extension. But this was the only one extra to be found. No other controllers listed and no Midi Monitor which I am very interested in. The add Controller function as well did not list any additional content.
Where is the fault in my installation? Any hint?
Thanks.
You are aware that you can/need to change the "Hardware Vendor" with the drop down list?
If yes, I can only imagine that the file is somehow damaged or there might be an issue with Windows 7.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2738 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am

joris.roling wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:56 am
A few observations:
- the grid always start in PLAY mode, even if though the SESSION option is set to ON. I would like to have the APC40 start in SESSION mode, is that possible?
No, there is currently no setting for that.
joris.roling wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:56 am
- The Bitwig browser, when opened with SHIFT-STOP ALL CLIPS, responds niceley to the TRACK CONTROL (top) encoders, but it would make so much sense to navigate the Bitwig browser using the BANK SELECT arrow keys, would that be possible?
Can put it on the wishlist but maybe the cursor keys would make more sense.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

2738 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 am

DrivenByMoss 9.10 is online!

Since Bitwig Studio 3.2 is just around the corner, I decided to release a final version for it.

Many new features for the Launchpad models and the Launchpad Pro Mk3 support many have been waiting for!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • Requires Bitwig 3.2 Beta 8
  • Launchpad
    • New: Support for Launchpad Pro Mk3
    • New: Drum sequencers use the colors of the drum pads of the drum machine device
    • New: Pads which show states in Shift mode are lit brighter when enabled (Play, Record, Metronome, ...)
    • New: **Shift+Delete**: Toggle Repeat (was Shift+Duplicate)
    • New: **Shift+Duplicate**: Doubles the clips content
    • New: Simulator layout is now closer to the specific Launchpad model
    • New: In Shift mode, cursor up or down enters the tempo mode. In Tempo mode you can change the tempo with the cursor keys.
    • New: In Shift mode, cursor left or right enters the shuffle mode. In Shuffle mode you can change the shuffle amount with the cursor keys.
    • New: Added record quantization setting (Shift+Quantise)
  • Push
    • New: Drum sequencers use the colors of the drum pads of the drum machine device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpu-Na ... e=youtu.be

Enjoy!

KVRAF
6958 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun May 31, 2020 4:37 am

Launchpad Pro Mk3 :-)

Downloading now!!

Thank you, you are a STAR!
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Grove Boxes + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

Return to “Controller Scripting”