DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

HI @Moss. Thanks for the great SL MKIII integration. I just got my controller yesterday and it's amazing.

Anyway I have a couple of questions about how it works. I'm currently interested in creating a similar script for Studio One. I was wondering how you were able to figure out what messages the device outputs in InControl mode and how to access the screens. Taking a look at you code on Github gives me a few ideas but I just wanted to get more detail.

I'm thinking just for starters I would base my script on what PreSonus had done with ATOM which seems pretty straight forward and then work from there. PreSonus doesn't make their SDK available I think but it's easily accessible from the program files.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Regarding Push 1/2 script, I noticed there's very little feedback between what I do on Push and what happens on Bitwig's screen, e.g.:
- if I have track Group and Push only shows the Group clip, wouldn't it make sense to "fold" the tracks on Bitwig's screen and unfold it when I get deeper into the Group?
- if I'm adjusting start/end and loop point of MIDI clip, the MIDI editor doesn't adjust to that range so I can't see whole clip
- if I want to bring up a device or mixer or MIDI editor via Push it rarely shows on screen, unless I recently added a device or clip
And so on...

Are those limitations of what Push exposes to non-Live scripts? Or are those limitations of Bitwig's API? Or of the script?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

rykergrey wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:55 pm I've got a question for you. Is there a way I could setup an OSC command to always access the same peramiter of the same device without having to first select the device/page in question?

Something like... /track/@{parent.variables.n}/selected + /device/sibling/@{parent.variables.n}/selected + /device/param/1/value. It be amazing if it were possible to specify exactly which track, device, page, and peramiter all in one address. Of course this is all black magic to me so I don't know what's reasonable to expect.

Thanks again for everything!
Hi, I wondered the very same thing !
It's maybe not possible, I would be happy to have a clue on that.
thanks a lot

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this and I have fb messaged too, but is it possible to increase the tracks available to Flexi? At the moment Flexi appears limited to controlling Bitwig 8 Tracks, yet if I have e.g. 16 tracks of 16 midi channels I can only select tracks 1-8 in the function slot selection (target)? Screenshot attached.

Edit: What I am trying to achieve is a 16 track channel mixer without having to select next/previous bank of 8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Does anyone know how to use sequencer mode on Push 2 with Bitwig, in a mode where velocity is pre-set? For instance every pad I push will input a note at 100 velocity. Any help is greatly appreciated!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

reflekshun wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:38 am Does anyone know how to use sequencer mode on Push 2 with Bitwig, in a mode where velocity is pre-set? For instance every pad I push will input a note at 100 velocity. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Press the Accent button to enable fixed Velocity (never understood the naming behind that button since it does the opposite :-)). Keep the button pressed to change the fixed velocity.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am Regarding Push 1/2 script, I noticed there's very little feedback between what I do on Push and what happens on Bitwig's screen, e.g.:
- if I have track Group and Push only shows the Group clip, wouldn't it make sense to "fold" the tracks on Bitwig's screen and unfold it when I get deeper into the Group?
- if I'm adjusting start/end and loop point of MIDI clip, the MIDI editor doesn't adjust to that range so I can't see whole clip
- if I want to bring up a device or mixer or MIDI editor via Push it rarely shows on screen, unless I recently added a device or clip
And so on...

Are those limitations of what Push exposes to non-Live scripts? Or are those limitations of Bitwig's API? Or of the script?
Makes all totally sense and I am annoyed by this as well. Would need some more love on the Bitwig side...

hockinsk3 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:58 pm I don't know if this is the correct place to post this and I have fb messaged too, but is it possible to increase the tracks available to Flexi? At the moment Flexi appears limited to controlling Bitwig 8 Tracks, yet if I have e.g. 16 tracks of 16 midi channels I can only select tracks 1-8 in the function slot selection (target)? Screenshot attached.

Edit: What I am trying to achieve is a 16 track channel mixer without having to select next/previous bank of 8.
Yes, that's a limitation, mostly due to 2 things:
- the API does not allow adjustments of the bank size after it has started. Which means I would need to create variants for different sizes.
- for 16 channels the command size would get very big

Thanks moss, I thought that would be the case.
Your Flex Controller is working really nicely with HI!Computer Chameleon. Here's my beginnings with biderectional CC Control using it in a basic MCU type arrangement. Screen recording makes touch a bit laggy, but lovely and responsive under normal screen use. Many thanks!

https://youtu.be/gBibuJ_ZACU

moss wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 amMakes all totally sense and I am annoyed by this as well. Would need some more love on the Bitwig side...
Thanks, I figured as much. Hope that now since v3 is out we'll some some development devoted to controller API :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm
moss wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 amMakes all totally sense and I am annoyed by this as well. Would need some more love on the Bitwig side...
Thanks, I figured as much. Hope that now since v3 is out we'll some some development devoted to controller API :)
I hope for this as well! I am working with a developer friend of mine to try and isolate the problem that is causing sudden BW crash to desktop when using Push 2 script with BW on mac. Fingers crossed after a week or two of intensive testing we will have some results!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Are the current drivers working for Bitwig 3.0 on Windows 10?

jwise wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm Are the current drivers working for Bitwig 3.0 on Windows 10?
They're working fine for me on MacOS, with the exception of the (known) display crashing issue.

Question for anyone who might know because I am dumb: How do I change the length of a note when sequencing? The Github Wiki says the pads will display note length, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to actually specify note length without editing the notes by mouse on the piano roll.

What is wrong with editing?

AliveThrouDeath wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:23 am
jwise wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 pm Are the current drivers working for Bitwig 3.0 on Windows 10?
They're working fine for me on MacOS, with the exception of the (known) display crashing issue.

Question for anyone who might know because I am dumb: How do I change the length of a note when sequencing? The Github Wiki says the pads will display note length, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to actually specify note length without editing the notes by mouse on the piano roll.
Longpress the pad with the note and the display will show some options. But this is not very elegant since there are no modify functions in the API, I have to delete and create the note constantly.

Return to “Controller Scripting”