NORA VST in Bluecat Patcher MIDI-FX in Mainstage3 - Drops/Freezes

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all - I have an instance of NORA VST inside of Bluecat Patchworks MIDI-FX inside of MainStage 3. I have a single 8-bar pattern looping. Everything is good EXCEPT every few loops, NORA will go silent for a few bars or alternately hang a single note for a few bars - then it will go back to normal & continue playing.

I don't think it's Patchwork, because other steppers such as Thesys VST don't do it.

I'm on OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite using latest versions of NORA and MainStage 3.

Can you suggest anything that might help? Thank you!

I don't own Mainstage 3, and there isn't any demo as far I know :(

And, I think Thesys from SugarBytes generate itself the midi out, it doesn't need midi input. Maybe try another midi effect that needs MIDI input, and let me know if it produces same result, please.

Thesys can run with or without MIDI input (that is, it can either be set to transpose the current sequence via note-input, OR trigger one of the patterns via note-input). Numerology 4 also has not frozen in this approach. But you're right, there is no Mainstage 3 demo - however, I view it and Logic as being essentially the same platform as far as supporting MIDI-FX, I think Logic would be a sufficient testing ground...?

But what you are describing me for Thesys is midi control, instead midi input. In the current Nora version, there are both modes, midi input (the chords) and midi control (the cc/notes to switch patterns or scenes).

When you send a Midi note to Nora (or any synth plugin) you send first a NoteOn event, and then the NoteOff event. In the case you dont send the NoteOff, the note would be playing forever. But in the case you send the NoteOn, and 0.0000001 seconds after the NoteOff, there would be an invisible Note - and I suspect this is happening - then nothing would sound.

In the case of a loop, notice the NoteOff at the end of the loop connect with the NoteOn at the start of the loop, and this can be a source of problem.

I'd like you perform a test. Delete the Nora instance but keep the same chords you are sending. Then route them to any poliphonic synth a do the loop several times. Do everything work as expected? Of course, this will only have sense if the host do not play the notes when you start playing from anywhere between the start and the end of the notes (like Reaper does, if I recall correctly).

Oh, I don't have a sequenced track to feed it with, I don't sequence. I input the chord manually/live.

In this case, there are no note-offs going in (I filter them out). I play one single held chord that is infinite (until I cut it off). NORA loops through its pattern just processing that one chord. But it will stop for a little while, then start processing again. I can see visually that NORA is still progressing through its loop, but the sound stops for a little while (sometimes the last note hangs until NORA cuts back in).

It has always worked OK outside of Patchwork, using the MIDI-FX version. But when I use the VST version in Patchwork I get this error.

But I see what you mean about MIDI control vs. MIDI note data. I will see what happens if I remove NORA and just push that chord right through Patchwork directly to a synth with its own internal arpeggiator. Also I will try it using Consequence VST (which definitely uses note input) and see if I get troubles - I will let you know, thanks!

Protocol_b wrote:I have a single 8-bar pattern looping. Everything is good EXCEPT every few loops
Then, that does reference to a 8 bar pattern from Nora, right? I was thinking the loop was in the host.

Does it makes any difference when you switch the Nora mode from static to free?

Hello - I investigated further. I tried Sugarbytes Consequence and it does exactly the same thing. The fault is with Patchwork after all, you were correct. Apologies and also thanks for your time.

Hi, thank you for let me know :)

Return to “Squaredheads”