Markov Generator

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just turned this on and wow this is powerful in concept. Here is some background.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-Markov-Cha ... d-in-music
https://hackernoon.com/generating-music ... c3f3f46405

Markov chains can be used to BOTH analyze and generate music. The idea is you could take a song (say Let It Be) and make Markov chains of different things (rhythm, melody, chordal progressions etc.) and then create a piece of music that is LIKE it but not it.

That said. It would be interesting to apply Markov chains to other aspects in RC.

Any thoughts here? Anyone play with this generator yet? Anyone have an easy way to take an existing melody and map out the rules to the generator?

At first glance. This appears to be ONLY a contour generator from a Markov perspective (without the ability weight the intervals). Contour is REGARDLESS of rhythm or scale (key). i.e. the same contour can exists in different rhythms and/or different note scales. e.g. how you can take a melody contour written in a major key and then play it in a minor key. And even possibly change the rhythm. Maybe eventually the song no longer sound like the original but the contour remains.

With that said, they is much to explore with Markov like generators in RC.

Attached is a quick test to do Mary Had a Lamb.

https://nofile.io/f/WWDTgONQQjw/mary.rcCOMP

Had to guess on the probability patterns. I included the composition as well, I changed the 1/4 notes to 1/8 notes so 2 measures fill into one. Maybe try it with 1/4 notes. I felt 1/8 notes gave more room for a flowing contour.

I also manually recreated the exact rhythm for each measure. And created a custom scale so only use the notes of the song (technically you could use any scale since the generator is only for contour).

Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Modeling Chord progressions are pretty easy. Especially if you break it down by function (however you decide to define function).
Harmonic rhythm is a little more complex. (yes chord progression and harmonic rhythm are to different things - you can describe harmonic rhythm without even having chords)

Would be interesting to include more aspects into the chord rules feature of RC (e.g. chord X is not played longer than x beats, or the I chord is x% of the harmonic rhythm space.)

Regular rhythm patterns are quite simple to model from existing songs. You don't even really require much more than a toe to tap.

Melody is a different beast as it really encompasses Harmony, Key, Rhythm, and Chords. It would be interesting to add more rules and probabilities here. I hope this is a work in progress generator as this could be a game changer n some ways.

want to take an existing melody and model it here. as best I can tell here are the steps.

1. extract all groups of three in a melody (these overlap)
2. see which contours exist.
a. for ones that don't exist, turn off next note selections and set slider to 0
b. for ones that exist go to step 3
3. look at the interval steps and set next note selections as appropriate (since you cannot weight these it is your discretion based on actual occurrence)
4. count how many times the patterns exist and set sliders accordingly. from what I gather this is relative. so set the highest patterns to 100 and set others as a fraction accordingly. e.g if highest is 6 then 3 would be 50 and 2 would be about 33.
5. Concerning the melodic rhythm this has to done manually if you want to model from the song (good luck)

Remember this is contour modeling ONLY. So don't expect to model sweet child of mine and be banging chicks in Thailand by end of the week.

I think this is how it would work.

thank you for this thread! I recently found out about the markov generator and im trying to learn how to use it. it seems like it has a ton of potential but i couldn't figure out what i was doing. this is helpful !

getting really good results from this! just wish there was a way to quickly analyze a midi file and automatically apply the probability to it! definitely has a lot of potential though hopefully it isn't taken out!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”