Knagalis EMM previous tests

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanxs guys, we really apreciate your comments and tests.

The new version indeed solve all the memory problems we were having. The C++ language is very sensitive, if there is an error somewhere, sometimes it doesn't crash right away, but trashes the memory badly instead. On Win98 is terrible, it can trash the whole OS memory. That's why XP is being so good for users. I left W98 for XP months ago, and I wouldn't go back, not even paying me for! LOL

Best Regards, WilliamK and Luigi Felici (Liqih)

McLilith wrote:[As for the drone pitch not changing to match the root note, I would consider that a definite "usability bug". I really think that should be changed. I doubt that it will be often that someone wants to set the root note to "A flat" and keep the drone on a "C" note, but if that need arrises, it wouldn't be hard to adjust the "Semi Tone" knob appropriately for those few occassions. (Or save them as user presets.)
there is still an issue for those SoundSets which don't use drone
for piched sound, e.g. Mibira or future drums samples,

in that case drone sample sounds most natural tuned at C for every Root.

Moreover some droned instruments don't have the drone tuned to the root, like gajda bagpipe http://macedoniadirect.com/music/instrum/gajda.htm (thanks filter for the link) where drone is tuned to the fifth.

So Root function should also know which SoundSet is running
before changing the Drone pitch automatilcally.

This means that each SoudSet should have hardcoded info inside
about the possible drone tuning. This is not possible currently,
since it would mean changing the format of the file.

Anyway I thought of a possible improvement of usability, the idea is to upgrade the display of drone tuning so that it shows the note name,
and also to have an extra display for the current root selected.

Then the SoundSets info in the EMM manual can advise the user on the
traditional tuning of each SoundSets.

Anyway consider that writing accurate info about each SoundSet
is an extra job and it could affect the final price of the product.

Anyway I thought of a possible improvement of usability, the idea is to upgrade the display of drone tuning so that it shows the note name,
and also to have an extra display for the current root selected.
yes this sounds like an excellent idea! :)

I'm loving the sound of this thing, except the bagpipes, but you're redoing most of all of the samples, right? These are just to test the VSTi. I'm doing a terrible job of beta testing on this one. I just moved and I have no internet connection at home yet! So I'm a few days behind on everything and I don't really have much time to test, anyways... sorry, guys. In a week or two I'll be back in the game!

BTW, William, Vancouver (and maybe Victoria) has a large Scottish population and our pipers kick ass. You may be able to get some good samples here in town, if you want. Actually, an old friend of mine plays. We were going to trade bagpipe lessons for bass lessons. In fact, she still has my Ibanez!

The Bagpipe 2 preset should be renamed to "Gajda" as it sounds and behaves exactly like the real thing in higher octaves. My grandfather has a real gajda and I am very familiar with the sound. The bagpipe2 preset has that unique mono-filter effect in higher octaves which makes it sound like the real thing. When the drone is tuned as liqih mentioned, its the closest thing on the market to the real thing. Thats my 2 cents worth.

So Root function should also know which SoundSet is running
before changing the Drone pitch automatilcally.
That's exactly what I had in mind.

However on second thought, maybe just having some presets with names like "Great Highland Bagpipe - (A flat)" might be enough. For this example, I'm thinking about a preset that automatically picks the "A flat" root note, sets the drone "Semi Tone" to "A flat", selects the proper sample set, and tweaks all the other important settings to something appropriate. For other pipes that might have a different root note and drone note, just make another preset with a name that reflects that notion, and settings that are appropriate to it.

I'm sorry if I was asking for a bit too much. I think it would have been nice, but maybe it's far too much work, especially with this project in beta. As for the preset idea I mentioned, I feel those should be included in the default presets the VSTi loads on startup. Hopefully that's a lot easier to do, and hopefully not too much work.

As for your idea of an indicator for the drone note and root note; that's really nice, if it's not too much effort to add. I think that adding the indicators along with a few nice default presets would be an excellent solution. At that point, I would see little real need for a drone note that tracked the root note automatically. The indicators with note names would be a quick visual reminder for the end user, and would help greatly in keeping eveything organized.

thanks for the consideration,
McLilith

old message deleted as it is done... thanks...

so ah what is the current status now... seems that no posts have hit for many days????

thanks guys for all the comments , I read and care,

note display for Drone and Root will be in next beta,
or maybe directly in release version,
the plugs seems to bee bug free now, the big job next is finishing the SoundSets and making the presets for them, so some days to wait.

Anyway please keep posting ideas and reports, you're very helpful

clicking 'render' on the arp in orion platinum causes this plugin to freeze the entire host where it just sits forever.. confused (ie. a CRASH)

yeah i know.. normally you wouldnt want to use the arp.. but it IS something that ppl are going to be attempting at somepoint

doh

my luck is shining through..

i tried using the arp.. freeze
tried it again same way to see if i could duplicate.. freeze
posted a message here about it
tried a different instrument.. worked
tried knagalis again.. works now :o

btw please keep the sine tone... i find it to be actually a very melodic sound in knagalis..

VitaminD wrote:btw please keep the sine tone... i find it to be actually a very melodic sound in knagalis..
I second that...It's good for Ray Lynch type stuff...

i third the sine tone req.

welcome back Ford... %^)

Liqih... great agree it's all working well now.... nice going!!!!! you've been through a long one on this baby but I think you have done great work... Same goes for William of course... %^)

yeah

ive been trying to crash this thing... but i havent found any other ways to do this.. :(

and through normal usage.. I runs likes a dream (minus the bugs ive/others have already commented on)

NEW BETA VERSION 0.24

The FULL SOUNDSETS version also have some updates to the sounds. But downloading just the UPDATE file is good enought.

There are several small fixes on the sound-engine, so it should sound much smother now.

Also we update the DISPLAY requests.

Regards, WilliamK

Return to “NUSofting”