theAbstractGuitar 2.0 - Beta testers needed.

Official support for: nusofting.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liqih wrote:feedback should stop on note off, usually it does, <grin>, Ford can you reproduce the unstopable feedback?
This doesn't only happen with abguit so it could just be an FL thing...Try running this for a cycle or 2 and stop...continuous feedback?
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~for ... edback.flp

ok then first cpu comparisons

using top preset Fine Guitar 8k in both versions

original dll = 6.7% for single note
= 8.7% for 3 note chord
= 10.4%-11% for 5 note chord

beta 2 dll = 6.5% for single note
= 8.1% for 3 note chord
= 9.8% for 5 note chord

these %'s read in Chainer
AMD xp 1500+ cpu not overclocked... just stock
win XP Pro

this of course is not using any new features.

onward...

well then, the newly added features are kewl... personally the extra envelope is very effective to alter the character of the sounds...
the delay is also interesting but for me less important in that I could always add a vst delay, eh?
But then, the looping delay is quite diff... don't know if I would use it much but seems to be a good addition.

I don't find anything 'broken' or not working yet..

I do again wonder a bit about the GUI but hesitate to say too much since I see various skins lurking in the wings, and they may make my thought about GUI obsolete.

But, if we were to just talk about the default GUI, I would mention some things:

Since the new features do alter the GUI, and make it bigger [which is fine by me] why not go further and clear up some other aspects?

Why not have the effects controls [edits] simply there at all times, rather than a shift to the edit feature?

Also, the 'on' buttons for the new features, especially in the blue-white colors are hard to see for me [old eyes with glasses]. Seems like the white is sort of blinding and I'm never sure what the letters say... on could also look like off [you need my bad eyes on those tiny buttons to appreciate this]
The Red ON color is somewhat better for me.

Also in the loop delay area... wondering if the layout might be better like so:

[ON] Loop [ON] Delay
rather than how they are now:
[ON] [ON] Loop Delay

small thing, I know but clarity helps a GUI IMHO.

Also, I've always found the Master Volume control in a non intuitive location... always have to remind myself where that puppy is.... I'm used to hardware "GUI's" where a Master control is always very defined and distinctively located. With the AbStrt Guitar this is important to me since the volume of this beast can get out of hand rapidly! [ read--painfully LOL ]

so... maybe the default GUI is worth the hassle to change at this time... or maybe there could be an alternate skin that had these suggestions included?

Otherwise, so far it seems improved nicely.

If there is some particular preset or testing you would like to have done, plz just ask. :band:

The default patch, Fine Guitar 8K. Produces a faint clicking sound on release, audible when the reverb is turned off. and more noticable in the higher octaves. I noticed this occuring when editing other patches too and wasn't sure whether it was deliberate?

I agree with max's comments about the default skin. I'd add that it's difficult to discern a heirarchy from the controls, the groups seem to be placed a little arbitrarily. The bright colours and busy design also make it more difficult to make sense of the GUI. I also had a problem locating the 'master' section, it looks like an effect unit in the current version.

I'd also prefer a more uniform approach to representing similar elements, eg. I'd find it more intuitive if all the 'buttons' followed the same design (i think buttons have six different looks at the moment).

Also, the 'OFF' text beneath the alterne, legato buttons confused me.

cbit sorry but I can't hear any faint click on release... verb off... wonder if it's something specific to your system? audio card or asio latency settings????

the only way I can produce anything that I'd call close to that is with the smooth string button ON and Volume all the way up, and then really SLAMMING a lower octave key... but I mean 'really slamming it'... would never hit that hard.. hahaha Could never hit that hard!

audiophile 24/96 512ms latency. I've tried AG in tracktion and bidule with the same results.

Here's an mp3 of how mine sounds (default preset with reverb turned off) http://www.redshiftmedia.com/temp/ag_clicks1.mp3

let me know if there's anything in particular i should try..

cbit wrote:...512ms latency...
:o Was that a typo or are you really using a half a second latency setting?

sorry, i meant samples :oops:

Initial reports:

Both under Bidule and the Cakewalk wrapper, I couldn't get tag2 to show. I'm assuming it's because of ID conflict with the orig. tag I have installed.

Under Tracktion, it's working great. I popped in a pretty hairy riff and tumbled through a good chunk of the presets. I didn't measure CPU %, but it was clearly very low. I beat on it a bit inside Tracktion and experienced no issues with stability.

I'm debating if I want to uninstall tag1 in favor of tag2 testing (which is pretty hard to convince me of since I've grown very fond of tag1) :)

Other thoughts:

I like the skin, much like I prefer the initial tag1 skin over all the others thus far. I will agree with other sentiments mentioned that it could be laid out a little more clearly.

ageis wrote:Initial reports:
I'm debating if I want to uninstall tag1 in favor of tag2 testing (which is pretty hard to convince me of since I've grown very fond of tag1) :)
Just put your tag1 dll in a folder on the desktop or somewhere temporarily and rerun your Cake wrapper...you can always put it back...

We just uploaded a new beta 2 B. This fixes some issues: Idle now takes effect with the LoopDelay ON, before it wasn't. Also, LoopDelay syncs to BPM. Other issues.

Wk

Ford Prefect wrote:
liqih wrote:feedback should stop on note off, usually it does, <grin>, Ford can you reproduce the unstopable feedback?
This doesn't only happen with abguit so it could just be an FL thing...Try running this for a cycle or 2 and stop...continuous feedback?
http://www.artistcollaboration.com/~for ... edback.flp
It seems to be an FL stuck arp. thing(I think)...sorry...so I don't think it presents any problem specific to Abguit...back later after checking out b....

thanks for the reports,

it seems there's no major issue so far, or?

about the GUI I will improve a bit the standard one,
but we are working also to a new one based on Monike work.

Strangely I didn't see comments about FM feature,
did find an use for it?

yes ligih the new FM feature is a good one.. along with that extra envelope it let's me tweak some sounds to be much more interesting [i.e. ebow type sounds ] a good addition, plz do keep it in! :)

could not post this a few mins ago seems working now... so here it is:
hmmmm you might want to try something and see if you think it's a problem:

load the Koto 2K patch with all it's default settings... then clk to ON the Feedback section... put the level at 12 o'clock for feedback and then:

link the Distance knob to a midi controller... I'm just linking to the mod wheel on my keyboard... play live and use the controller [mod wheel for me] to alter the feedback distance while you play. [I'm doing this inside Chainer, btw]

With the Koto 2k patch I get much static like sounds..

Now that I've noticed this... I'm trying it with other patches also and find much more disturbing with some than others... try Extra Nice and turn off the Distortion first... seems like 'maybe' there is something in the feedback Distance code that could be worked on?

Feedback effect is on ONLY when Distortion is on,

when Distortion is off it's just a simple delay effect, and changing delay time = Distance

we can add a smoothing function on that parameters
if you want automated as delay effect

Return to “NUSofting”