update: Strings Dream 2.0.1 VST2 x64 Windows free/donationware

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liqih wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:21 pm OK, I see, but mind that you are playing in that chord A3, A#3 + A4, A#4, a semitone dissonance in two octaves,
so it's not surprising (at least to me, <grin>) that you need to adjust the phase of A4, A#4, to reduce the rumble of the fighting frequencies. Unfortunately I have no more a real strings machine to check its behavior in that chord case.
My main oscillator produces a lot of harmonics maybe too many. I will see whether I can reduce them without loosing richness in sound. Thanks for the report!
:tu: I hope you succeed. It's these kind of chords that usually sound very nice on the string synths I mentioned before.

So, I tried that chord and your dry preset, but I can't hear "rumbling" going away by moving phase from 0 to 1, what I hear is that the beating of A3 vs A#3 is softened, because shifting the phase of Violins does some cancellation to the amplitude of Violas + Horns.
Also I had the spectrum analyzer zoomed in and I don't see strange frequencies either.
Would be great if you can record the same chord (dry as this preset) with one or two of the string synths you said so I can compare.

I can't create the same sound with those other string synths (which is the reason why I'm interested in the SDS :P) and I can't reproduce the same 'rumbling' with those other string synths. But now that I'm listening much more focused I can hear similar fighting frequencies on those other string synths too, but they are in higher frequency ranges than the SDS and therefore less noticable. You know what? If this is normal behaviour for this kind of instrument and if trying to make it sound smoother will only weaken the SDS, then please leave it the way it is. I could always try to EQ the 'rumble' out. Or play normal chords. :lol:

Good, BTW I tried an experiment with some raw samples I have from a real old Solina, these are just oscillator samples without the chorus that I made many years ago. I built the same chord using samples and the rumbling of dissonances is there but less strong in the lows. Also less strong in the highs, basically the hardware oscillator of the Solina sound as if bandpassed following the note frequency, I did that filtering too in Strings Dream, but obviously it's still and emulation made with digital filters ( as good as I can make them).
I can get quite close to that adjusting Shaper and HP knobs in Strings Dream, and Phase when Violins are on. But it still needs different tweaking whether you play high pitched or low pitched chords.
Therefore, as you say, for now I would keep it as it is, but there's room for future filters improvements.

enough talk. it's simple. give me Eminent so FAT I could kick Jarre's butt, give me Solina so heavenly I could pay my respects to Mr. Richard Wright.

you see? it's no rocket science, really.

I'm trying just that but... have you ever tried a real Eminent Solina straight in the mixer? The sounds you hear on Jarre's records have been heavily processed, not just the simple sound of the machine, but surely you know that already.

sure, but you need a good sound to begin with. I can process a bag of poo through my Mu-tron phaser and QRS reverb, they won't make it any better.

LOL that's true

Stringzy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:56 pm sure, but you need a good sound to begin with.
Please give the SDS beta a try, no expectations, and tell us what you think of it.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:17 pm
Stringzy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:56 pm sure, but you need a good sound to begin with.
Please give the SDS beta a try, no expectations, and tell us what you think of it.
Yes, more opinions will help a lot.

I like it, but I still can't get the right Shine On strings. there's something about that studio recording. the strings are very alive and dynamic, if there was a chamber string ensemble playing it. I mean human ensemble. but I'm probably asking too much from a 35$ plugin. it's just sometimes you hope for something to exceed the expectations. steady now. back to reality.

Shine On strings are layers of more synths , if I remember correctly it should be
Solina String Ensemble model V + a taped recording of tuned wineglasses + another analogue synth maybe VC3,

check the
http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine28/Wr ... rev156.pdf

I'm not talking about other instruments, I'm talking about the strings sound part precisely. and the strings sound is definitely ARP Solina, no question about it.

OK, yours is not a strict Solina emulation, but a random buffet of 70's string machines.

I still love to be pleasantly surprised from time to time, as we all do. it's not bad, don't get me wrong, it's not vanilla, but... OK, maybe I am asking for too much. it's just not wow holy shit jumping off my chair you know what I mean? but again, it may be me.

It's obvious the SDS is inspired by the Solina like many other soft/hard string synths, but it doesn't sound exactly the same which gives it its own identity.

But there's room for improvement. I'd like some more liveliness/dynamic/movement as well. A filter envelope for example would be nice. Maybe an LFO like modulator for the Bright to Shaper knobs to make the sounds less static?

Btw today I had a look at the SDS 1.5. I must say quite like the silver skin. And 1.5 doesn't sound bad either if you give it a little EQ boost at 160 Hz for a bit fuller sound.

Speaking of Pink Ployd, running the SDS through the Audiority Echoes T7E delay sounds very nice. 8)

Return to “NUSofting”