Synth -Sinmad 0.9.9- featured this month (april) in One Synth Challenge, reports thread:

Official support for: nusofting.com
DASH Guy

Topic Starter

7656 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 pm

SeBaer wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:45 pm
liqih wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:58 pm
[...] there are indeed compatibility issues with Sinmad in Reaper.
Also on macOS there are issues with MIDI that only happens when we use Sinmad in Reaper DAW,
but not in other Mac DAWs I tried.

I hope to find the reason soon.
It's good, that you're working on that issue. Also for me ( in Win 10), Reaper is crashing a lot with Sinmad. Mostly time line jumping, but also other manipulations that are not directly in Sinmad. I will have to check in more detail, to give you proper feedback.
Hi, using today Simad 0.9.9 in Reaper 6.28 I had not crash at all, I send you now the link to Windows DLL by PM. I hope it will be good for your PC too.
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

User avatar
KVRist
64 posts since 3 Oct, 2019

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:22 pm

liqih wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 pm
Hi, using today Simad 0.9.9 in Reaper 6.28 I had not crash at all, I send you now the link to Windows DLL by PM. I hope it will be good for your PC too.
I'm very sorry to inform you that there are still crashes occurring with my setup. The combination of timeline jumping and scrolling up and down the track view afterwards leads to a crash reliably. I tested the same with my Rand project from OSC 144, but that didn't show that behaviour. After loading my Sinmad project again, it seemed to be more resilient, but after repeating the process of jumping and scrolling a couple of times, it crashed again.
I have to observe some more to see, if other actions also cause crashes.

DASH Guy

Topic Starter

7656 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:38 pm

SeBaer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:22 pm
liqih wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 pm
Hi, using today Simad 0.9.9 in Reaper 6.28 I had not crash at all, I send you now the link to Windows DLL by PM. I hope it will be good for your PC too.
I'm very sorry to inform you that there are still crashes occurring with my setup. The combination of timeline jumping and scrolling up and down the track view afterwards leads to a crash reliably. I tested the same with my Rand project from OSC 144, but that didn't show that behaviour. After loading my Sinmad project again, it seemed to be more resilient, but after repeating the process of jumping and scrolling a couple of times, it crashed again.
I have to observe some more to see, if other actions also cause crashes.
I'm also sorry to hear that. I tried hard to crash it but it didn't, maybe you can send me your Reaper project.
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

DASH Guy

Topic Starter

7656 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:43 pm

SeBaer wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:22 pm
I have to observe some more to see, if other actions also cause crashes.
Your Reaper project was VERY helpful. I had instantly a crash resizing the sequencer pane.
Then ran it under debug and found the very possible cause (actually Reaper is sending and invalid VST value on seek). Since I wasn't checking for that variable validity (usually not needed) now I do and I send you a PM with 0.9.9b DLL that has this change.

After that code change you project never crashes here on Win 10 + Reaper latest, I also rendered the fat loop (very nice BTW) and it sounds exactly like in Reaper. Anyway without the effects, because I don't have the FX plugins you used installed on my PC.
https://nusofting.com/ky35/OSC146_Sinmad_loop.mp3

Anyway as safety measure I suggest to uses these settings (see image) when using Reaper for MIDI sequencing.
Image
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

User avatar
KVRist
64 posts since 3 Oct, 2019

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm

Hi liqih,

the 0.9.9b update did not solve the crashing with timeline jumping for me. But the smooth seek actually did.
Anyway, I'm now tumbling down a rabbit hole with renders not matching playback in Reaper, not only with Sinmad, but also other synths. Actually Sindmad now seems consistent. I also have the problems that recent renders don't match previous renders, which I couldn't recreate by swapping for older versions of Sinmad.
But also recent renders from other synths don't sound like previous renders either, but playback still does, only the rendered audio sounds different. So I think it's rather a problem I have with Reaper and my outdated setup. I don't know which effect It would have to roll back Reaper, and I'm afraid to try.
I guess I'm screwed... :(

DASH Guy

Topic Starter

7656 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:44 am

SeBaer wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm
Hi liqih,

the 0.9.9b update did not solve the crashing with timeline jumping for me. But the smooth seek actually did.
Anyway, I'm now tumbling down a rabbit hole with renders not matching playback in Reaper, not only with Sinmad, but also other synths. Actually Sindmad now seems consistent. I also have the problems that recent renders don't match previous renders, which I couldn't recreate by swapping for older versions of Sinmad.
But also recent renders from other synths don't sound like previous renders either, but playback still does, only the rendered audio sounds different. So I think it's rather a problem I have with Reaper and my outdated setup. I don't know which effect It would have to roll back Reaper, and I'm afraid to try.
I guess I'm screwed... :(
Sorry to hear your PC audio troubles. I know what it's like <sigh>.
I wonder if the Windows upgrade could be the main issue for you PC, if you still have the Windows-Old folder in C: you could try to revert to the previous version, like the 1904.
Anyway don't take this hint as a diagnosis. Alternatively you could try an older Reaper build.

Glad that the smooth seek settings worked for you.
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

User avatar
KVRist
64 posts since 3 Oct, 2019

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:44 am

liqih wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:44 am
Alternatively you could try an older Reaper build.
I was already thinking of switching to Cakewalk... But I guess my problems rather come from sample rate and bit depth settings, since they first became apparent, when I tried to open someone elses project, who was working in a different sample rate.
I guess I have to dive deep into documentation...

User avatar
KVRist
62 posts since 31 Aug, 2017 from Netherlands

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:47 am

Sometimes when i switch between mono and poly and oversampling is on the sound changes drastically. With some patches this seems to happen randomly after some time, after which i can reset it by toggling from mono to poly and turning the oversampling off and back on.

DASH Guy

Topic Starter

7656 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am

EscapeControl wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:47 am
Sometimes when i switch between mono and poly and oversampling is on the sound changes drastically. With some patches this seems to happen randomly after some time, after which i can reset it by toggling from mono to poly and turning the oversampling off and back on.
That's possible, in which DAW?
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

KVRian
1153 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:42 am

SeBaer wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm
Hi liqih,

the 0.9.9b update did not solve the crashing with timeline jumping for me. But the smooth seek actually did.
Anyway, I'm now tumbling down a rabbit hole with renders not matching playback in Reaper, not only with Sinmad, but also other synths. Actually Sindmad now seems consistent. I also have the problems that recent renders don't match previous renders, which I couldn't recreate by swapping for older versions of Sinmad.
But also recent renders from other synths don't sound like previous renders either, but playback still does, only the rendered audio sounds different. So I think it's rather a problem I have with Reaper and my outdated setup. I don't know which effect It would have to roll back Reaper, and I'm afraid to try.
I guess I'm screwed... :(
You could try recording direct, file
Save live recording to disk

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84573

This can be fun doing a live take whilst messing with synths, but can also render the file, as your hearing it :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

User avatar
KVRist
64 posts since 3 Oct, 2019

Post Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:57 am

Eauson wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:42 am
You could try recording direct, file
Save live recording to disk

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84573

This can be fun doing a live take whilst messing with synths, but can also render the file, as your hearing it :)
Unfortunately Sindmad is to CPU-heavy and my system to weak to pull off that kind of shenanigans... I have to completely pass on internal reverb and delay for it not to crackle like hell even with a single instance. Without the internal effects, a couple of instances work at the same time, but I have to set my buffer to maximum. So, no luck...

User avatar
KVRist
62 posts since 31 Aug, 2017 from Netherlands

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:40 am

liqih wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:38 am
EscapeControl wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:47 am
Sometimes when i switch between mono and poly and oversampling is on the sound changes drastically. With some patches this seems to happen randomly after some time, after which i can reset it by toggling from mono to poly and turning the oversampling off and back on.
That's possible, in which DAW?
FL studio. If you want I can send you an example patch with which it happens.
I just found out it changes consistently when i start and stop playback.

KVRian
1153 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:55 pm

SeBaer wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:57 am
Eauson wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:42 am
You could try recording direct, file
Save live recording to disk

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84573

This can be fun doing a live take whilst messing with synths, but can also render the file, as your hearing it :)
Unfortunately Sindmad is to CPU-heavy and my system to weak to pull off that kind of shenanigans... I have to completely pass on internal reverb and delay for it not to crackle like hell even with a single instance. Without the internal effects, a couple of instances work at the same time, but I have to set my buffer to maximum. So, no luck...
The only other alternative is to use automation to switch off instances when they are not needed, including effect chain, takes a while but can work
I guess this is also not viable, the only other alternative is to bounce instances to stem and build track that way?
Have you considered a computer upgrade? I managed to get an i5 laptop cheap, which I use a Soundblaster card or I got an i5 desktop for a very low price
Anyway, I hope that you find a way, good luck :tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

User avatar
KVRist
64 posts since 3 Oct, 2019

Post Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:12 pm

Well, the technical problems are manageable. My problems are rather concerning creativity. Two weeks ago I created a loop, that I actually liked, and now I'm stuck. Everything I try to expand the tracks just sound hokey and phony...

User avatar
KVRist
64 posts since 3 Oct, 2019

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:20 am

liqih wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:43 pm
... I also rendered the fat loop (very nice BTW) and it sounds exactly like in Reaper. Anyway without the effects, because I don't have the FX plugins you used installed on my PC.
https://nusofting.com/ky35/OSC146_Sinmad_loop.mp3
I was reading not very carefully, obviously, because I totally missed the .mp3, you attached. I discovered it just now.
But It illustrates exactly my problem, I had with Reaper, that it sounds pretty muffled, especially the drones. That occurs, when the project file samplerate settings don't match the system samplerate settings. My project is set 44.1kHz, and from the sound of the audiofile, I guess you rendered it at 48kHz. The drones should sound brighter and more fizzy. But this is not a Sinmad related problem. It's something you have to take care about in Reaper. Project file, audio settings and render settings need the same samplerate for consistent results.

Return to “NUSofting”