"Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Sarah Command shares links, tips, videos and more...
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
26037 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 am

Are you suggesting Vicious had some kind of skill at bass playing? C'mon ... (everybody). :P

JJ_Jettflow
KVRian
886 posts since 23 Jan, 2011

Re: "Where does artistry end and copycat cut and paste begin?"

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:57 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:Are you suggesting Vicious had some kind of skill at bass playing? C'mon ... (everybody). :P

No. I am suggesting he attempted to learn how to play bass and put some sort of effort towards it which is more than can be said for some others.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 am

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Are you suggesting Vicious had some kind of skill at bass playing? C'mon ... (everybody). :P

No. I am suggesting he attempted to learn how to play bass and put some sort of effort towards it which is more than can be said for some others.
Sid is the poster boy for bored (talentless) teens. I agree that some musical prowess is helpful if you're wanting to create music.

mumpcake
KVRian
1105 posts since 27 Aug, 2004

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:11 am

JerGoertz wrote:Most popular music I've heard from recent years is shit anyways. It has this homogenous similar lameness that is independent of whether the artists (term used loosely) involved used the same samples or not.

Repent, for the end is nigh.
Yeah that's the thing. Who cares what you use if you can't come up with anything fresh?
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8875 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:57 am

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:Did anyone read the article before commenting?
Yes, we took it somewhere else girl
Funny, my Foe list seems to be acting up again because up until now, I have not had to be subjected to your mindless shit. No worries, you are back on the list so post whatever stupidity about me you like, as your opinion on me and anything else you comment on means zero to me; hence the reason I blocked you in the first place.
How did snowflakes survive before safe spaces?

Proud to know that Im back on the list, didnt realise Id already been sent to the naughty step.

:hyper:

sjm
KVRAF
1998 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:53 pm

I always thought singing was where he was at. He most definitely did that his way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

melomood
KVRist
377 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:32 am

I too want to join in on the bitching and moaning about popular music today
I I I
should be the one with all that fame & fortune

not them
they're all untalented,sample using hacks

+ their sound is sooo generic and tailored for the...uuhh.....
pop market

Michael L
KVRAF
3000 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from The End of The World as We Knowit

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:09 am

melomood wrote:I too want to join in on the bitching and moaning
Your bitching is sooo generic, all untalented, and your moaning is tailored for the uhhh... gearslutz market.
To be or not to be?
Bb

jancivil
KVRAF
19406 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 am

jancivil wrote:......
Cut (and paste) along the dotted line?

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 am

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote: I cannot see turning one's monitor on their laptop providing much information to any other players as can be had by turning toward someone to let them see the chords you are playing on your guitar.
Leafcutter John who is both a solo musician and part of the jazz act Polar Bear uses a ...

That's just one example. I've lost count of the number of acts I've seen, particularly around improv-oriented genres like jazz, that have incorporated computer instrumentation into their setups. .
But my comments are for those who rely most strictly on computer-driven systems and not hybrid style groups. Like I stated relying "too much" on computers;
Right so let's get back to your thread. :hihi:

You're worried about relying on the thing too much. Which has nothing to do with my life. I need the computer 100% for any result, for a lot of reasons. Here's the thing: you cannot begin to make the music I make without it. End of story.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

vurt
addled muppet weed
58956 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 pm

sadly jan, were not real musicians, our stuff isn't designed for "jamming with your mates" and encouraging debauchery in dark clubs (not that i don't encourage such things, just my music doesn't) and we rely to heavily on things that aren't real musical instruments :cry: (although, i would suggest anything that can be used to make music can be called a musical instrument, yes, even when its music you don't appreciate personally...)

earlier today, i watched a robert baker video about gibsons issues.
reading the comments, someone suggested that guitar companies might be having issues because theres so many companies now and only so many guitarists.
it immediately turned in to "its all electronic musics/raps/rnbs... fault"
i get that some people might not like a particular genre, but you cant blame it for gibson going under, that's just bollocks.

and with that i consolidate two threads in to one, like the spice girls suggested.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Here's the thing: the people who are actually worried about this issue are probably the people who decided music was the thing to do once you could fake it on a computer. Like the other thread in Samples board, nearly identical to this one, 'is it too easy to do "Electronic Music" now'. It used to be hard to make a record, or a *beat*, because you had to actuate the instruments by your own hand, and typically have it more or less right from beginning to end, by yer own devices as it were.

When I see "But my comments are for those who rely most strictly on computer-driven systems and not..." (and let's keep the thread stuck here), I'm seeing 'for those who rely on something they aren't making happen themselves' like we used to have to do way back in the Copper Age when, if you wanted to make a beat you either beat on something or you got someone who was better at beating than you. Or a whole ensemble of beaters beating. /their brains out

No grown-ass musician has the issue. It's a KVR kind of an issue. Now if one is struggling with it, good-good, as it is a sign of growth and self-critique.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

stacev
KVRist
37 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:21 am

It's an old topic. Can you guess (without google) from which year article this quote is from?
The increasingly synthetic sound of new pop also takes its toll on audience loyalty. In the past, fans have grown attached to a particular voice and to the virtuosos who personalized a certain approach to guitar or forged a band sound. Such virtuosity (or the anti-virtuosity of, say, Bob Dylan's singing) has individual fingerprints on it; only one musician or a certain ensemble can make it happen, so a listener who's attached to the sound is also attached to the performer.

By contrast, mechanized music loses the physical connection of performer to instrument, while fabricated lead vocals, all multitracked and pitch-shifted and reconstituted, also remove the personal touch. Who would fantasize about a machine?

An era that concentrates on singles doesn't necessarily make for bad pop; the pioneering music from 1955 to 1959 holds up just fine against the album-era excesses of 1973 to 1977. And there's nothing wrong with a computer-driven pop concoction that fills the dance floor and makes listeners hum along. But by concentrating too much on the quick cash flow of disposable hits, the record business may be entering a vicious circle. As more money is spent on marketing fewer hits, and those hits are promoted purely for the moment, eventually the audience may not care at all about the singer or the song.

sjm
KVRAF
1998 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:53 am

stacev wrote:It's an old topic. Can you guess (without google) from which year article this quote is from?
An era that concentrates on singles doesn't necessarily make for bad pop; the pioneering music from 1955 to 1959 holds up just fine against the album-era excesses of 1973 to 1977.
I'm going for some time after 1977. What do I win?
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

Return to “Sarah's Tips”