Introducing Cherry Audio's Memorymode Synthesizer!

Official support for: cherryaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:56 pm It's pretty good, but not so good I'm selling my Memorymoog.
I sometimes wish companies like Cherry and Arturia spent twice as much time to get that last 10%, I wouldn't care if it was twice as much and used all my CPU, since I could sell my moog and get back at least $14K towards other things...

In this demo that first patch is just so disappointing. Kudos to them for being honest, but that one misses the attack completely, there's a slight filter rise type sound at the begining of the patch on the Memorymoog that's completly gone in the VI. 1:10 in.

https://youtu.be/tbPaxb9CcCU?t=70
sounds perfectly fine to me

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:20 am
machinesworking wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:56 pm It's pretty good, but not so good I'm selling my Memorymoog.
I sometimes wish companies like Cherry and Arturia spent twice as much time to get that last 10%, I wouldn't care if it was twice as much and used all my CPU, since I could sell my moog and get back at least $14K towards other things...

In this demo that first patch is just so disappointing. Kudos to them for being honest, but that one misses the attack completely, there's a slight filter rise type sound at the begining of the patch on the Memorymoog that's completly gone in the VI. 1:10 in.

https://youtu.be/tbPaxb9CcCU?t=70
sounds perfectly fine to me
I'm always surprised by this but I shouldn't be. In no way do I have golden ears, but they sound very different to me. :shrug:

I have no need for a Memorymoog, but as I respect Cherry, I demoed it of course. The main problem, which is very obvious, is aliasing in the high range. I bet its not the nonlinearity in filters or vca stages, that wouldn’t creat such strong aliasing artifacts. I bet its the oscillators. If the oscillators are modeled, at least in the upper ranges I would replace them with simple filtered wave forms which just don’t carry the frequencies that alias. This technique was used in the old DCO based synths already in the last millennium to overcome aliasing. I bet the instrument would sound better and closer to the original in those high ranges…
Just an idea, else-wise the synth sounds good. Can’t compare to the original myself.
Btw. The last 5% is usually accomplished by tweaking the knobs yourself. The differences we hear in the demo for sure are possible to tweak closer, especially the attack time could have been set more precise. I do hear differences, but in a range I could easily adapt. The character is all there…

And for getting less aliasing, it would be cool to have oversampling modes that would not force us to set a complete project to 96 kHz or 192 kHz sample rate…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:25 pm I have no need for a Memorymoog, but as I respect Cherry, I demoed it of course. The main problem, which is very obvious, is aliasing in the high range. I bet its not the nonlinearity in filters or vca stages, that wouldn’t creat such strong aliasing artifacts. I bet its the oscillators. If the oscillators are modeled, at least in the upper ranges I would replace them with simple filtered wave forms which just don’t carry the frequencies that alias. This technique was used in the old DCO based synths already in the last millennium to overcome aliasing. I bet the instrument would sound better and closer to the original in those high ranges…
Just an idea, else-wise the synth sounds good. Can’t compare to the original myself.
Btw. The last 5% is usually accomplished by tweaking the knobs yourself. The differences we hear in the demo for sure are possible to tweak closer, especially the attack time could have been set more precise. I do hear differences, but in a range I could easily adapt. The character is all there…

And for getting less aliasing, it would be cool to have oversampling modes that would not force us to set a complete project to 96 kHz or 192 kHz sample rate…
oversampling, can be done, i guess with Kushview Element, $2...

Return to “Cherry Audio”