Signature gear where you don't like the artist

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All of it, it's mostly marketing, it's not that I dislike anyone.
I also understand fans wanting to emulate or get closer to their idols.

What is to be gained?
Why pay more?
Is there something special about signature hardware products? Is it 95% a production model? They're usually derived from them.
Would buying a Slash Gibson make you play and sound like him? (He used a LP copy for AFD.)

I've seen several individuals with signature plugins and endorsements at multiple companies, it's an income, part of their job, selling themselves and hyping a product. Hype.

NS10 clones, 7" passive speakers, costing hundreds more than a pair of modern designed, powered HS 8's. Surely they have been superseded with decades of advancements in technology. Classic.

Look at so called "influencers" who have become rich through social media, projecting a fake reality that looks perfection, who wouldn't want some of that? Image.

I recall a YouTuber saying "amp sims are a pile of steaming do do". Now, he promotes them in his videos, been missing out on a large part of the market. Monetized.

The day I see a artist using their signature software exclusively, live and in the studio, is the day when my opinion might change.

But, I also understand an artist giving a product their stamp of legitimate approval.

SALES

End of rant.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Forgotten wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 pm I didn’t own it, but a friend had a Nuno Bettencourt signature guitar. Of all things, it was a Washburn, and it was pretty damn good. Wouldn’t have thought of buying it myself, but was surprised at how nice it was to play.
+1
Crazy guitar

fxz895 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:19 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 pm I didn’t own it, but a friend had a Nuno Bettencourt signature guitar. Of all things, it was a Washburn, and it was pretty damn good. Wouldn’t have thought of buying it myself, but was surprised at how nice it was to play.
+1
Crazy guitar
Watched a video last night with Nuno explaining the origins of the guitar. This guy deserves more recognition.
I'm surprised how expensive the top models are. The N2 seems more affordable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEUIyAVi41w
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

It's basically a shredding guitar on the surface, but I was really surprised at how versatile it, and it has coil taps, so quite a few variations in sound. Can't remember what the pickups are, but it cleaned up really well on the neck pickup settings.

Does a Barbie keyboard count?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

count what?

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm Does a Barbie keyboard count?
no, you want the calculator.

vurt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm Does a Barbie keyboard count?
no, you want the calculator.
D'ye Ken?

...Come to think of it I've never seen Hello Kitty play her signature squier ever.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

medienhexer wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:03 am
Then there’s the Richie Sambora strat with those star inlays. Didn’t like Bon Jovi in the 90s, but I‘ve come around. Don’t care for the guitar anymore but it was something to obsess about back then.

I had a Kramer American Stagemaster Custom Deluxe that was selling around $3K back in the 80's won it in a poker game. Way too heavy and big for me, amazing tone. I also had a Baretta and a Pacer. Because I had more money than sense. I didn't think of the later two as being anything outstanding.

Gibson decided to start selling Kramer guitars again as they owned the name for about 15 years now. (I think) and they are bringing back the "Jersey Star" They can't call it the Sambora signature as Sambora cut a deal with Fender and they (Kramer, Gibson) lost the signature rights.

It's funny but the only one of the current lineup that really catches my ear is the striker.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I don't really know Ty Tabor's music, but the Yamaha Rgx TT is a great guitar.

Let's see how old you really are...

I never really played one and as I've aged I probably don't have the same opinion of his music that I once had, but as long as we're playing... :D

I personally think it's extremely lame for a guitarist to play another guitarists' signature guitar. There's nothing lamer than a guitarist in a metal band playing a Dimebag Washburn.

What about people playing a Les Paul?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

As long as they don't promote dead artists who did not ask for the attention other artists never got...and never will... I'm fine with it.

Return to “Guitars”