Your next guitar revisited

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(Sorry for monopolizing this thread... I’ll be done soon, and you won’t have to hear from me for another ten years! :wink: )

I contacted WD about the tuners listed above. They had me send photos of my headstock, and got back to me with the following:

“To my eye, I believe out of the ones that you have looked at the Gotoh is the closest.”

He did include the spec sheet for those tuners with the precise dimensions. At least, I think it was the correct spec sheet. The ones from their website have a SKU of ML3-G, whereas the spec sheet lists part number SG381. I don’t see those two numbers matched together anywhere. Overall, this doesn’t exactly exude confidence, but I’ll dig out my digital calipers and try to confirm the screw placement myself.

I also spoke with my local guitar tech today and went over all the modifications I’m planning to make. He thought it all sounded good, aside from the Delrin nut. He said they make their own bone nuts, and he’d recommend that instead.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Two things-

I found someone who confirmed that the Grover 406C is an exact drop in replacement for mine, complete with pictures.

Second, and this is really weird... I just searched back through my posts and discovered that I actually bought my Koa Strat YESTERDAY in 2007! Must be something about August...

deastman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:24 am Two things-

I found someone who confirmed that the Grover 406C is an exact drop in replacement for mine, complete with pictures.

Second, and this is really weird... I just searched back through my posts and discovered that I actually bought my Koa Strat YESTERDAY in 2007! Must be something about August...
august is kvr guitar month.
one month before the rest of the world celebrates world guitar day in september.

could be subliminally coercing us all to buy guitars? :o

Hmm... no response after two days from Tru-arc. It makes me a little concerned that his price list says “Summer 2017”, but maybe it doesn’t get updated often.

I'm pondering a Kramer Striker Custom.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Someone posted this looking for some advice, anyone?
Ksamphos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:03 pm I never had an eletric guitar - though I play the acoustic - and I have no experience of how eletric instruments work. However, I often see on local ads eletric guitars and basses for good prices. They are among the easiest instruments to find.

My doubt is how this instrument works... I mean, If I plug It on an audio interface, I can record It with great quality of sound or I need other equipment? The amplifier of a Focusrite interface is enough to record It with phone?
Also, from where comes the differences of sound? Do I need other sort of hardware other than the guitar itself? Or software?
I have no intention of playing it loud, but only of recording.
Does the body of the guitar needs to be big? Does it make difference? I have seen empty-bodied eletric guitars and I wonder if this kind of instrument can be small or if the size is relevant like in acoustic ones. Can it be played with no-nails right hand?

This is an example of the kind of sound i would be looking for:
https://youtu.be/_T6_qzwjR_A
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Really? Really?

In no particular order.
https://bfy.tw/P2AT

Acoustic guitars produce sound acoustically. Semi-hollow and solid body guitars also produce acoustic sounds but at a much lower output. The reason why they are called electric is that they need to be amplified using electricity. In order to convert the string vibrations to electricity pickups are used. The output of the pickup is sent to an amplifier or sometimes a preamp to boost the single then to a main amplifier. This is true for guitar amplifiers which are designed specifically for electric guitars but it can also work in different generic environments (such as sound cards)
So no the size of an electric guitar has little to no bearing on the final loudness output. That is determined by the pickups and the amplification process.

Guitar amplifiers are specifically designed for electric guitars. They shape the sound. Amplifier models have different sound shapes. Soundcards do not shape the sound (generally) they are intended to convert an analog electric signal into a digital one so it can be transferred into the computer. The guitar has a quarter inch monoral output jack. A guitar cable (sometimes referrd to as a chord) come out of the guitar and is fed into an input (either guitar amp or soundcard.

The soundcard will have a trim control sometimes it's a switch and sometimes it's a small pot (diall) For guitars you will need to adjust the trim. Which means with the guitar plugged into the unit using the cable play and look at the light(s) you want to see a solid green when playing not red. Red is bad it will cause clipping. You should have a manual for your soundcard on how to adjust the level correctly. If not search youtube with brand and model or the companies website. Sound cards will produce a bland but clear signal. Usually you will have options for how much of the signal is played back from the daw and how much is from your sound card.

Most people I know that deal in live audio (including myself) don't use single function soundcards. Some (not all) guitar amplifiers have built in soundcards that allow for optimized guitar ampler as well soundcard and amplifier/mixers with effects.
I like the Yamaha TH10-C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjUVQbHLnM
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

The Noodlist wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:52 pm Someone posted this looking for some advice, anyone?
Ksamphos wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:03 pm I never had an eletric guitar - though I play the acoustic - and I have no experience of how eletric instruments work. However, I often see on local ads eletric guitars and basses for good prices. They are among the easiest instruments to find.

My doubt is how this instrument works... I mean, If I plug It on an audio interface, I can record It with great quality of sound or I need other equipment? The amplifier of a Focusrite interface is enough to record It with phone?
Also, from where comes the differences of sound? Do I need other sort of hardware other than the guitar itself? Or software?
I have no intention of playing it loud, but only of recording.
Does the body of the guitar needs to be big? Does it make difference? I have seen empty-bodied eletric guitars and I wonder if this kind of instrument can be small or if the size is relevant like in acoustic ones. Can it be played with no-nails right hand?

This is an example of the kind of sound i would be looking for:
https://youtu.be/_T6_qzwjR_A
Yes: read!

There's no substitute for you doing your own homework. Someone who doesn't know anything about a particular field of knowledge comes to a forum, asks a bunch of questions, and expects that not one but many people will roll their sleeves and start explaining to him from A to Z. Then he'll read a little, get bored, decide that it's too complicated or expensive, ditch it altogether, and move on to the next thing he knows nothing about. How? By asking a bunch of questions on a forum.

The questions he's asking are not even entry level. Where does the difference of sound come from? Does the body of the guitar needs to be big? Come on!

Next, Thumb, flesh, fingernails, pick, hybrid

that's all on you. They all will make sounds and they all sound different.

Who do you like? What type of technique are they using? The only person stopping you from playing like them is you. Many a famous guitarist has gone through more than a dozen guitars in the studio and stage. Instead of stopping the show and finding the original guitar they play with the one they have on. It still sounds mostly the same because the sound is first and foremost the performance.

Well since we've already gone far off the rails why not keep it alive...

I used to be a support technician for a software company. What would/should have been simple "How do I get my software working type questions, or even how do I use this feature in the program working (though the information was faster via a google search or would have netted the correct response in a forum faster somehow I'd be inundated with these calls endlessly. Even with anonymity in a very friendly forum people would fear using them. And yes some of the questions would be nothing more than a rouse to spark my anger. It was all a social experiment. My boss hired me specifically because I wouldn't fall into the rabbit hole. I would direct the caller to the information they required and I would repeat the information. When they found out they weren't getting any traction by frustrating me usually they would frustrate themselves and move on.

Then there are kids and parents who also lack basic understanding and sadly ignorance is passed down generation to generation. Someone with no clue wants to tell someone else with no clue how things work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCCveTbviM
A funny thing about that commercial. "Daddy, Do bears eat people?" "Let's find out"

Even if someone has a very crude sense of understanding it may be impossible for them to translate that understanding into words. So they go out looking for a handy dandy explanation.

Is it a social experiment intended to aggravate someone?
Is it a kid trying to get someone else to write a report for them? Is it a parent who still can't figure out how to use a search engine but needs to provide information to a child?

Regardless the response is indexed.

Because I liked the Mustang so much, thought I'd get one of the Squier Bullet Teles as well. Saw this and snapped it up £93 all in because of the chip in the paintwork (saved me the trouble of doing it meself lads.. :hihi: );

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/b-stock-squ ... ster-black

All good and nice, twanging like it should, setup good. Put some real man's strings on it, and.... f**king result!

Still saving for a Lowden. At the moment, this looks like "the one", but it will probably be gone by the time I can afford it...

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/ac ... -bevel.htm

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:19 pm Because I liked the Mustang so much, thought I'd get one of the Squier Bullet Teles as well. Saw this and snapped it up £93 all in because of the chip in the paintwork (saved me the trouble of doing it meself lads.. :hihi: );

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/b-stock-squ ... ster-black

All good and nice, twanging like it should, setup good. Put some real man's strings on it, and.... f**king result!
Cool.

I had a bullet strat from Argos, maybe 10 -15 years ago. Sounded and felt great, the only negative thing was the soft frets and speed they wore down.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:32 pm Still saving for a Lowden. At the moment, this looks like "the one", but it will probably be gone by the time I can afford it...

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/ac ... -bevel.htm
How very European, Lowden guitars always seem oddly out of norm to look upon, but I can't fault the magical tone that comes through them.

I'm about 3 years into Lowden lust now, so mostly dislike how American acoustics look. ;)

Return to “Guitars”