What guitar gear have you bought/are you buying/will you buy?

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
jacqueslacouth
KVRian
1129 posts since 18 Nov, 2004 from The Liberated People's Republic of Straya

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am

I just picked up an 80s Vantage Les Paul Special knock off for AU$172 (so about three cases of beer to apply a universalish currency). The sad reality is it looks, feels and plays better and sounds "almost" identical to my >$2000 genuine USA made article. My very first decent guitar was a Vantage back in the 80s and I still have, love and cherish it ('til death do we part, even then, might take it with me underground). They really made quality instruments and I am going to keep a look out for them on eBay if (as it appears) they are not well enough known these days to attract much bidding action.

Burillo
KVRAF
3883 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Re: What guitar gear have you bought/are you buying/will you buy?

Post Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:41 pm

i just picked up Line6 G75. I've long since wanted a wireless guitar system because i am tired of stepping on my cables while playing. since i like to gain stage correctly, each guitar had its own cable and its own calibrated input on the audio interface. G75 is virtually latency-free (1.5ms), completely silent (it doesn't add a single iota of noise - in fact, i think the noise floor on my audio interface is higher than that of G75!), works perfectly, and allows me to gain stage on the transmitter and store per-guitar gain presets. to top it off, Anderton's are running a massive discount on G75 so i got it for less than half price, which is freaking unbelievable - this level of quality for 200 EUR is pretty much equivalent to me robbing a bank. i'm over the moon with my purchase, instantly fell in love with the thing, and will take it to my grave.
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

Monkberry
KVRist
213 posts since 31 Dec, 2012

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:29 am

Just bought a Strandberg Boden Fusion 6 neck thru. I'm surprised how easy it is to adapt to the neck. Suhr pickups sound great and the intonation is spot on all the way to the 24th fret. Going from a 1970 ES335 to this is pretty strange but I'm loving this guitar.

audiojunkie
KVRAF
2953 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Just bought an HX Stomp and a Dunlop DVP4 Volume (X) Mini Pedal. 🙂 Nothing special, but it’s going to further complete my pedalboard setup 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

revvy
KVRian
554 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:08 am

zxz
Last edited by revvy on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

imrae
KVRian
1004 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 am

I accidentally had a "good" week on ebay, so have a Boss OD-3, Devi Ever Aenima, Hardwire CM-2 (tubescreamer with a bass control and a boosted mode), and a nice klone on the way. Makes up for the last month of getting sniped!

My pedalboard only has three spots for gain pedals, and they're already occupied.

Ah well, the idea was to swap things in and out for different projects...

TobyB
KVRist
59 posts since 18 Dec, 2018

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm

Boden Fusion is terrific... I don't notice the neck, that's how good it is. Lovely compact instrument to live by my desk.

cptgone
KVRAF
5886 posts since 1 Aug, 2003

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:14 am

vurt wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:45 am
unless of course youre complaining because you keep missing out on bstock bargains, then yeah grrr :x
The last 5-or-so power supplies I bought were b-stock, the latest 2 both had a cable missing which netted me a further discount - since then I haven't seen Thomann put another one up.
Sorry guys ;)

morelia
KVRAF
4608 posts since 16 May, 2002 from Brisbane , Australia

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:49 am

Forgotten wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:20 am
morelia wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:05 pm
Search for a looper ended (hopefully) here.
https://boomeranglooper.com/products/bo ... iii-looper
What made you go for that one?
Well, I did a lot of looking around and the more I looked the more it became clear I wanted something with the ability to create multiple loops, both loops that run at the same time but can start and stop independently. Plus having features like being able to record a groove track and then have 2 separate loops running which I can swap in and out or stop all together. The fade out is nice and configurable. Considering the range of looping features it is a relatively small unit and only just fits on my board so that was another factor. Having so many foot switches makes it simple to use (no getting confused about what loop is running where. It would be great if there was an option to import wav files but it does a good job for live acoustic work.
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

kelvyn
KVRian
1108 posts since 9 Mar, 2008 from netherlands

Post Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:03 am

Having caught the Harley Benton bug - LP, 335, Tele - I'm about to jump on the HB Big Tone. I have big name guitars but am blown away by the HB’s.

seasick
KVRer
7 posts since 5 Mar, 2020

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

The oceans 12 is looking mighty fine right now, useful for guitar and synths, plus it looks like it has the perfect shoegaze reverse reverb algorithm. I've been using the reverse on the digitech rv-7, but it is necessary for me to run it with a wet/dry pedal because the RV-7 does not include the dry signal on the reverse setting.
I've also been wanting to try various G&L guitars - the ASAT special with the jumbo mfd pickups and the Doheny in particular.

The Noodlist
KVRAF
2080 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:38 am

Saw a Squier 3/4 Strat with a SD Hot Rails in the bridge, £59.99 at Cash Converters, I gave it a miss because of it's size, I couldn't really tell it was smaller.

Got 2 used SubZero 200W 8" Active PA Speaker by Gear4music with the intention of being a pedal platform, but decided to sell them for about £80. I've got 3 amps, anyway, I got enough crap.

Still waiting for a order from November 2019, TC Polytune clip Blk and a classical guitar from a well known UK store with a Captain at the helm. :(

Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

vurt
addled muppet weed
61592 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:57 am

(im pretty sure he was never really promoted to that rank, its a bloody outrage to us in the space admiralty that someone is impersonating an officer).

The Noodlist
KVRAF
2080 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:09 pm

vurt wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:57 am
(im pretty sure he was never really promoted to that rank, its a bloody outrage to us in the space admiralty that someone is impersonating an officer).
:)
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

Monkberry
KVRist
213 posts since 31 Dec, 2012

Post Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:43 am

Picked up a Strandberg Masvidalien Cosmo a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to prefer the EndurNeck over the traditional-shaped necks. It has one EMG 57 pickup with an active variable mid control knob. I haven't been playing live lately, just recording in the studio so I can't critique a live setting, but it sounds pretty killer with Neural DSP's Archetype Plini amp sim.

Return to “Guitars”