connection electric guitar PC

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to know a way to connect the electric guitar to the PC without background hums.
For now I connect it directly to the sound card but there is this buzz that goes up when I increase the distortion with my plugins.
Some people suggest using behringer ultra di to solve the problem you think about?

info about the soundcard would make sense.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

.....and the guitar. Single coil pickups or humbuckers, makes a big difference in terms of hum etc..

Does the sound card have Hi-Z?
If not, a DI box, mixer or similar would be needed. DI might have a ground lift.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

what's the signal to noise ratio of the clean signal?
will a gate help?

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 am .....and the guitar. Single coil pickups or humbuckers, makes a big difference in terms of hum etc..
...and any additional shielding that has been added to the guitar.

Also, look at the proximity of other electrical devices and cables.

the guitar is a stratocaster with 3 single coils and the sound card is a focus on scarlett 2i4.

Try getting as far away from your monitor as you can.

those strip lights people have can add hum too.

but what level is the hum?
some hum is expected in certain gear, hence gates :)
if you can gate out the hum without effecting the struck notes it's not an issue.

Try the guitar in positions 2 and 4 from hum cancelling, use balanced output with balanced cables. Consider using humbuckers for high gain stuff.
I also heard power conditioners can improve things, don't know how true this is.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

If you are recording the guitar you may be able to remove the hum later - if you record the hum with no notes being played you can use Audacity to sample the hum and use that sample to remove the sound from a file of the recorded guitar

Forgotten wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:17 pm If you are recording the guitar you may be able to remove the hum later - if you record the hum with no notes being played you can use Audacity to sample the hum and use that sample to remove the sound from a file of the recorded guitar
Reafir is really good for this (and free...);

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

You can edit the noise sample so you only remove the parts you want.

Probably lots of options to do this, so maybe just record something and test it. If you can’t remove the noise at source, you still have the option of fixing it after recording.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm Probably lots of options to do this, so maybe just record something and test it. If you can’t remove the noise at source, you still have the option of fixing it after recording.
...and of curse this will work 10x better if you record the guitar clean (pre effects and amp sims) and apply the noise reduction on the clean signal. Won't work so well if you're using a real amp, unless of course you can also record a clean DI signal and re-amp it afterwards (as some of the these new fangled ones can..).

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:06 pm Probably lots of options to do this, so maybe just record something and test it. If you can’t remove the noise at source, you still have the option of fixing it after recording.
...and of curse this will work 10x better if you record the guitar clean (pre effects and amp sims) and apply the noise reduction on the clean signal. Won't work so well if you're using a real amp, unless of course you can also record a clean DI signal and re-amp it afterwards (as some of the these new fangled ones can..).
I made sure I had the capabilities to do this with my radial re-amper box...but also of course out of my radial aby box I record a completely dry track. (once again for the one person who may have missed it :hihi: I record up to three mics (usually two, a 57 and an e906), a dry track, lineout from amp, if it has one otherwise from one of my attenuators and the fx returns from a lexicon mx 400 I also monitor through)

I dont alaways re-amp but I can if I want with ease, it's good to fix things as well as try things out...like I have re-amped through a wah wah just to see how it sounds and whether I should do a take with it.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Guitars”