All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I managed to nab one of these: https://blackpeaks.bandcamp.com/merch/b ... bass-drive

OCD-ish drive pedal with tweaks for bass guitar and made by one of my fave bands. Should be useful!

Lately I did some tracking with a Digitech CM-2 on bass guitar and wow that thing works so well for adding harmonics while keeping the bottom end beefy. It's basically a posh Bad Monkey; I bought it for use on guitar but usually prefer the Klone.

transmisser wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:15 am my Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water
Wow, that's a lovely pedal. Fairfield Circuitry is hard to find here, but that's the only excuse I have for not owning any of their products.

transmisser wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:15 am I was going to sell my Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, but changed my mind immediately when I put it back into my setup to double check that everything was still working properly.
I love my Shallow Water! I never knew that I wanted my guitar to sound like Boards of Canada. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:13 pm
transmisser wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:15 am I was going to sell my Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, but changed my mind immediately when I put it back into my setup to double check that everything was still working properly.
I love my Shallow Water! I never knew that I wanted my guitar to sound like Boards of Canada. :lol:
Haha same! I was only using it with guitar related stuff, but now I'm starting to reamp stereo sources through it (left and right, one at a time) and it's opened up a whole new world.

cptgone wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:52 pm
transmisser wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:15 am my Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water
Wow, that's a lovely pedal. Fairfield Circuitry is hard to find here, but that's the only excuse I have for not owning any of their products.
It really is amazing. I hope you can get one some day.

transmisser wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 pm Haha same! I was only using it with guitar related stuff, but now I'm starting to reamp stereo sources through it (left and right, one at a time) and it's opened up a whole new world.
That's a brilliant idea. Does that not exist as a plugin?

Uncle E wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 pm
transmisser wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 pm Haha same! I was only using it with guitar related stuff, but now I'm starting to reamp stereo sources through it (left and right, one at a time) and it's opened up a whole new world.
I don't know that there's a plugin that does exactly what the Shallow Water does, but maybe? RC-20 could probably get pretty close, but I don't know if you can randomize the modulation in the same way the SW does. There's also the JFET boost inside the SW that imparts a nice quality on the signal.

The envelope follower driven Low Pass Gate part of the pedal is pretty much unique among effects, in hardware or software. It's something you only really see in the modular synth world.
The chaotic vibrato part of the pedal is a BBD modulated by sample and hold, with variable slew, rate and depth. I can do something similar using a BBD delay pedal with an expression input and a Hungry Robot Sample and Hold... but the way Fairfield voiced the delay is interesting. It adds an almost lofi-tape-like tone and the LPG adds to that, in the way it effects dynamics.
You could probably get close to that kind of sound with a delay plug-in which features a low pass filter with envelope follower and a sample and hold modulator which can be used to modulate the delay time.

But together in one pedal, it's perfect for adding a certain kind of lofi warble.

Maybe nothing exactly like it, but there’s the Wire by Audiothing.

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/wires/

Maybe not Canada, but Boards of Russia? :lol: I found it a little too much, but I may get it at some point. I’ve done things where I run Speakerphone to get things like this and then use some tape delay, or even Bitwig’s delay with something in the loop like The Drop.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

They sell them on the internet too...
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:32 am
They sell them on the internet too...
Amazon has them.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:14 am
Maybe nothing exactly like it, but there’s the Wire by Audiothing.

https://www.audiothing.net/effects/wires/

Maybe not Canada, but Boards of Russia? :lol: I found it a little too much, but I may get it at some point. I’ve done things where I run Speakerphone to get things like this and then use some tape delay, or even Bitwig’s delay with something in the loop like The Drop.
Ah, and I forgot this one, which is on my to-buy list.

https://youtu.be/4NlfmFmG9ng
Zerocrossing Media

That's lovely. The ShapeShifter compressor sounds great, as well.

Thanks guys - I totally forgot Thomann has 'em though, they seem to be selling well:
https://www.thomann.de/be/cat_rank.html?ar=450522

Nice walkthrough of the major overdrive types (soft clipping / transparant soft / hard / Klon / transistor & AIAB), with a gapless comparison at 15:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wVShbGe4pk

Return to “Guitars”