All things pedal related.

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
KVRAF
5710 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 am

Could you guys recommend a good volume pedal for slow ambient guitar swells?

I have a Mooer multifx pedal with a... pedal, but it's too short-throw for me to control accurately, and an old Morley wah pedal which is built like a tank, has a neat overdrive and could be used without the wah function as volume pedal, but the optical sensors are somehow wonky and sometimes works more like on-off than smooth gradual swell.

So I'd like a reliable, big ole volume pedal. I'm a broke-ass student so I'd need to hunt the make/model down as second hand unless there's an affordable option somewhere out there.

addled muppet weed
79062 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 am

.jon wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 am

I have a Mooer multifx pedal with a... pedal, but it's too short-throw for me to control accurately, and an old Morley wah pedal which is built like a tank, has a neat overdrive and could be used without the wah function as volume pedal, but the optical sensors are somehow wonky and sometimes works more like on-off than smooth gradual swell.

So I'd like a reliable, big ole volume pedal. I'm a broke-ass student so I'd need to hunt the make/model down as second hand unless there's an affordable option somewhere out there.
i use a boss one.
not cheap new (i paid 75 quid) but it could be used as a weapon, it's heavy as feck and built like a tank!
if you can find one second hand, it's one that will last (although is worth the price new as well if you can afford it).

addled muppet weed
79062 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am

in fact, i liked it so much, i bought the same type of expression pedal too (think that was 85?)

KVRAF
12406 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 am

I used the Dunlop Volume X Mini for the video below. It comes in quickly and then tapers off, good for rolling off the attack like a Slow Gear. I imagine the full version is even better:

http://youtu.be/d3ZO-OtcltY

KVRAF

Post Sun May 09, 2021 11:50 pm

vurt wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 am

i use a boss one.
not cheap new (i paid 75 quid) but it could be used as a weapon, it's heavy as feck and built like a tank!
if you can find one second hand, it's one that will last (although is worth the price new as well if you can afford it).
That does look great! MSRP is out of my budget but I'll put that on my shortlist. Thanks!

KVRian
1301 posts since 8 Jan, 2003 from Edinburgh

Post Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 am

Look for used on eBay and Reverb ;)
John Braner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

KVRer
2 posts since 2 Mar, 2021

Post Wed May 12, 2021 8:31 am

.jon wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 am

I use an Ernie Ball. It's solid and has a good travel on it. Really though, any volume pedal from a reputable company should do it. That said, if you expect that you will ever want an expression pedal, it might be worth it to find one that can function as both like a Dunlop DVP3 (I wish I did).

KVRAF
11412 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Wed May 12, 2021 9:11 am

I really like the Boss FV-500L. I mostly have experience with it as an expression pedal but it feels nice to use and is well built.
I also like Mission Engineering stuff.

KVRAF

Post Fri May 14, 2021 6:43 am

Thanks guys. I saved a search for the Boss on our local music gear "craigslist" :)

KVRAF
7345 posts since 1 Aug, 2003

Post Thu May 27, 2021 1:21 pm

My latest purchases arrived.

- Joyo JF-36 "Mad Professor Sweet Honey" Sweet Baby
I'm still trying to get to know the different archetypes of OD, this is a cheap way to explore the Sweet Honey flavour.
Seems like a fun overdrive - not my favourite though.
- Electro Harmonix Ripped Speaker
I was worried it wouldn't bring enough new functionality to my overflowing table of fuzzes, but the Rip knob seems to rip my rig a new one 8) (it doesn't seem to let much sound through at extreme setting, but I guess that may vary with input volume, guitar pickups and whatnot)

So my new pedals went through Slovakia and all I got for free was a Muziker t-shirt 8)

KVRAF

Post Thu May 27, 2021 1:31 pm

My Rowin Frenzy arrived a while ago: nice for the crazy low (<€18) price. Not sure if I'm gonna keep it in my huge pedals chain though (unlike that other crazy cheap Chinese fuzz: the Cuvave - I have one of the 1st batch, and love it)

KVRAF

Post Sat May 29, 2021 3:26 am

Oh my, ThorpyFX updates another Lovepedal classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlmDlqcwHqY
Would be an insta-buy for me if it wasn't for the high GBP/EUR rate, Brexit complications and my strongly reduced income. Going by the price of the Camoflange at Thomann, buying there should be a little cheaper for me, but it's not on their site yet. I mailed them to see if they will carry it :hyper:
Last edited by cptgone on Sat May 29, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 29, 2021 10:14 am

3 new tc electronic pedals, in a new form factor (still with the annoying activation-on-footswitch-RELEASE though):
https://www.tcelectronic.com/catalog.ht ... eleaseDate

- Magus Pro (the name refers to the Dark Magus distortion from the cheap Smorgasbord line; this one looks like a Rat-alike)
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.ht ... Code=P0EBX
- Skysurfer Mini Reverb (the name refers to another Smorgasbord pedal)
https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.ht ... Code=P0EBU
- Zeus Drive (a Klon? I dunno)

The Magus Pro is €60 for me at Thomann, whereas the Dark Magus of old costs €34. Given the number of budget Rat pedals out there, and the original's low price, it better be good, I reckon.

KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:33 am

Concerning the ThorpyFX Pulse Doppler: Thomann will carry it after all (I wonder if the huge Youtube demo offensive had something to do with that), at a higher price (€329) than comparable ThorpyFX pedals though. Might be cheaper elsewhere then, or straight from ThorpyFX if it arrives before the new tariff regulations kick in.

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:01 am

I bought a used AMT Vx Clean, from the Bricks series. The original 12Ax7 tube replaced with a JJ. I had been curious about this range, and as I don't use an amp I either go for an ampless sound, Two Notes IR, drive pedals or my AMT F1 (from the Legend Amps series). The latter (another secondhand purchase) seems to add a lot of clarity to the notes I play, but it brings out noise (from my ridiculously long pedal chain?), even when switched off. So now I put it in a separate loop (using a cheap Chinese minipedal, the Loop Box) on a pedalboard-on-a-laptop-stand hovering over my FSU pedalboard, and added the Vx Clean to my chain.

Perhaps due to the new JJ tube, the Vx Clean only sounds clean with GAIN up to 9 o'clock. I really liked what it does to some of my overdrive pedals, then ended up playing clean. Lovely! Now I want to try the AMT F-Clean too :hyper: not to mention the many Lead pedals of the Bricks series (I've no clue what to expect from a Bogner amp sim, but I sure like my Bogner pedals).

https://amtelectronics.com/new/cat/bricks/

Return to “Guitars”