Bad boi Fender Inc

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

They'll get a fine equivalent of a licence fee and keep doing it. It would be fascinating to learn all the strong arm tactics used by the big makers to squeeze their retailers and their customers.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Probably true. That’s what happens to most companies who do something similar.

I have said this for years here, Fender are asses as I learned working in retail...in one store they made us take apart the value pack squires and break them up because another store close was also selling the same fender package and they were first...I get that, I didn't want to sell those anyhow but why break them up? Of course if that other store undersold gear priced by fender we would be the one selling the packages.

Daddy's Junky Music where I also worked could have an in house rep from fender. We sold more used gear than one could imagine (big chain in the u s northeast, now gone), they scoured our inventory for any trademark violations* and we were also a huge fender dealer. Salesmen bought and took trades so we entered what we bought into this huge database...if it was shaped like a strat and was not fender the only thing we could call it was "S-type" and they didn't like that because they wanted us to list used squires with an S and I guess they felt it would be confusing. Because we sold so much used gear a salesman got a piece of anything he took in as well (called 2man commission), as I recall though that was in jeopardy if you mislabeled the item in such a manner.

* a flyer was mailed out monthly with a list of all used gear and where it was, we could have in any store within a day or two, of course no deposit or obligation for the customer
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:07 pmDaddy's Junky Music where I also worked could have an in house rep from fender. We sold more used gear than one could imagine (big chain in the u s northeast, now gone), they scoured our inventory for any trademark violations* and we were also a huge fender dealer. Salesmen bought and took trades so we entered what we bought into this huge database...if it was shaped like a strat and was not fender the only thing we could call it was "S-type" and they didn't like that because they wanted us to list used squires with an S and I guess they felt it would be confusing. Because we sold so much used gear a salesman got a piece of anything he took in as well (called 2man commission), as I recall though that was in jeopardy if you mislabeled the item in such a manner.

* a flyer was mailed out monthly with a list of all used gear and where it was, we could have in any store within a day or two, of course no deposit or obligation for the customer
Not much to add except that I really miss Daddy's ! :(

I used to look forward to that monthly mailer, with the huge list of used stuff !
Being able to get anything to your local store to demo overnight was really awesome too !
My only regret would probably be that if I had half the money back, that I spent at Daddy's over the years, I'd probably be retired by now. :lol:

But I digress...

Like you said, they used to move a LOT of Fenders, I'm surprised to hear that FMIC would put the screws to them (of all people).

- Jay

I miss the old smelly smokey pawn shops on Church Street in Toronto. Would go scoring for quality used guitars on Saturday mornings. Ahh.. the good old days, before family, kids and all the f**king trendy high priced condos sprawled all over the city.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Yeah, there were always great stores like that, and even pawn shops aren’t that easy to get cheap guitars from anymore.

The one I alway liked was in Portsmouth in the UK, called Ned Scrumpo’s Emporium of Goodies, back in the day when you could get some really great used bargains in brick and mortar stores.

Bug Music wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:45 pm
Hink wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:07 pmDaddy's Junky Music where I also worked could have an in house rep from fender. We sold more used gear than one could imagine (big chain in the u s northeast, now gone), they scoured our inventory for any trademark violations* and we were also a huge fender dealer. Salesmen bought and took trades so we entered what we bought into this huge database...if it was shaped like a strat and was not fender the only thing we could call it was "S-type" and they didn't like that because they wanted us to list used squires with an S and I guess they felt it would be confusing. Because we sold so much used gear a salesman got a piece of anything he took in as well (called 2man commission), as I recall though that was in jeopardy if you mislabeled the item in such a manner.

Not much to add except that I really miss Daddy's ! :(

I used to look forward to that monthly mailer, with the huge list of used stuff !
Being able to get anything to your local store to demo overnight was really awesome too !
My only regret would probably be that if I had half the money back, that I spent at Daddy's over the years, I'd probably be retired by now. :lol:

But I digress...

Like you said, they used to move a LOT of Fenders, I'm surprised to hear that FMIC would put the screws to them (of all people).

- Jay
I worked in Nashua NH, on weekends we were always packed because we were right on the state line. I grew up shopping there too so it was cool, for a bit, but then I remembered why I stopped shopping there...couldn't stand the salesman when I was a customer but working with them was toxic :?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Gah! Now I don't feel so bad about that truly magical Tele I was just playing in my local guit-fiddle shop (and will never be able to afford)... I thought the price was just because we're so far North (in Soo MI), but nooo, it's just Fender being Apple. Well, I guess that's some form of consolation.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Forgotten wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 pmNed Scrumpo’s Emporium of Goodies
That name's an impressive level of self-Flanderization, just sayin'. :hihi: I would totally shop there.

Jafo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 pm
Forgotten wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:48 pmNed Scrumpo’s Emporium of Goodies
That name's an impressive level of self-Flanderization, just sayin'. :hihi: I would totally shop there.
It was pretty awesome. Almost bought an Epiphone version of the EDS 1275 there in fantastic shape, but couldn’t raise the money. It was a weird place with boxes of old junk right next to absolute treasures.

Sounds wonderful! I love places like that, and they're pretty much extinct here in Trumpistan. :sad:

Yeah, I live in the US too, I just grew up in the UK. No decent pawn shops near me, and most of them don’t even touch guitars - they seem to be all about cellphones and guns these days.

Jafo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 pm Gah! Now I don't feel so bad about that truly magical Tele I was just playing in my local guit-fiddle shop (and will never be able to afford)... I thought the price was just because we're so far North (in Soo MI), but nooo, it's just Fender being Apple. Well, I guess that's some form of consolation.

In the Soo? In the freaking Soo.
Do you make pasties? Pot pies aren't the same.
Is your idea of surf and turf smelt and hot dogs?
How banged up is your SUV?
How thick is your steel roof?
Do you have a bear problem your hiding from us?
Do you use snow shoes to pick up the mail?

Tele's honestly buy from sweetwater. Yeah I know that the market is trying to kill small brick and mortars. The local shops I go to these days specialized in high value used big brands and independent brands only. Smaller shops are a lifeline for smaller companies.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Never tried them, but aren't Yammie Pacificas decent Fender copies?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”