Helix Native or ampliTube 4

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AmpliTube 4 Axiom Helix Native

jamcat wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:59 pm
ilikemydaw wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:54 pm Helix without a doubt. Only heard good things about it and amplitube is pretty amateur
The original name was going to be AmpaTeur when it first came out 20 years ago. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I know this is a Helix vs Amplitube thread, but I've tried them both and IMO neither of them are as good as Blue Cats Destructor. Helix sounds kinda "plastic" to me, and Amplitube just sounds lifeless.

Although you don't get all the fancy FX with Destructor, it's a real gem when it comes to amp tones.

There's a demo on their page. I highly recommend it.

CapnLockheed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 pm
tylerdedera wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:33 am I own both, and to me Helix is far superior in just about everything with exception to a few amp models. Amplitubes Mesas and Oranges sound way better out of the box, and the mic positioning options are slightly more advanced in Amplitube as well.
I agree that both sound great. I also agree that helix has some superior sounds and more options and more/better models in some categories. That being said, I still don't like it's GUI and preset handling. Also the Orange collection is a BIG part of why, for me personally, I prefer Amplitube. I've been playing REAL Orange amps since the late 70's and IK got that sound right.
I'm kind of surprised that you guys like Amplitube's Oranges over the Helix, mostly because ATOC is much older technology.

Andywanders wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:30 pm I know this is a Helix vs Amplitube thread, but I've tried them both and IMO neither of them are as good as Blue Cats Destructor. Helix sounds kinda "plastic" to me, and Amplitube just sounds lifeless.

Although you don't get all the fancy FX with Destructor, it's a real gem when it comes to amp tones.

There's a demo on their page. I highly recommend it.
hmm. i should try a demo of BC Destructor one day.

FWIW.. I use AT 4 and mix it up with GR5 effects. It gives the AT4 tons a different vibe and feel. I guess lifeless is a personal preference thing. For my needs AT 4 is good for what it is.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

AT4 sounds great, always has. I don't love the interface at this point, but their interfaces for Modo bass and drums are great and also work great on touch screens so I'm hoping Amplitube will get that same interface style. Using guitar amps and effects on a touch screen is actually much nicer than trying to use a mouse while holding a pick I find.

I have to agree about certain of the Amplitube models. I have three Mesa Boogie amps, and the Amplitube recreations are near perfect emulations. I can't imagine how they could be any better.

I thought Amplitube was awful. Helix amp models are pretty good with third party IRs but the time based effects are just so-so compared to plugins (comparing their Space Echo to Audio Thing Outer Space).

I would favor Kuassa, Mercuriall or NeuralDSP (depending on the amp or amps I wanted) over Helix Native if I didn't need the effects.

I'm kind of surprised that you guys like Amplitube's Oranges over the Helix, mostly because ATOC is much older technology.
That's a very ironic statement. In the real world modeling amps don't sound better than tube amps,(again just my opinion). But by the logic of your statement they should because they're newer technology. Newer is not always better....recent APPLE OS "updates" come to mind. :D

bharris22 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 pm I have to agree about certain of the Amplitube models. I have three Mesa Boogie amps, and the Amplitube recreations are near perfect emulations. I can't imagine how they could be any better.

Exactly my point but with the Orange models. I own several Orange amps and have A/B'd them against Amplitube, Helix, Guitar Rig & ReValver's "Orange" models. Amplitube's Orange models sound closer to a real Orange IMHO. Now perhaps some of the members who've posted saying they prefer the SOUND of another ampsim's Orange models really DO prefer THAT sound. And that's fine. But unless you own and A/B a model against the REAL thing you are simply not qualified to say that one or the other sounds more like the real thing.

Oh....and as to Blue Cat's Destructor. It does sound good for what it does. But it doesn't really fit my style. As I've said before....what constitutes "good" tone is strictly a matter of personal taste. I knew a guy...a very accomplished guitarist. His "magic tone" formula was a Scholz Rockman into high wattage solid state poweramp. He LOVED it. Personally, I thought it sounded like a hive of angry bees in a coke can. To each his own.

I use Helix Floor in tandem with Helix native. I usually record the dry version of my tracks alongside the amp / fx track. If I need to make tweaks to a guitar / bass / synth patch, I just load an instance of Helix native on the dry track. Love it.

I think it depends entirely on the workflow you prefer and also what purpose you're playing guitar for.

If you enjoy playing guitar in isolation just to listen to the tone of the instrument alone, then pick the one that makes you happy. But in the context of a full mix down or song, no one gives a rat's arse. I mean, even in my own work, for older projects I have no idea what amp I used for those projects. Was that a VST, was that a real amp? Which VST did I use again? I don't remember and I don't care. And if I don't care then the people listening to the music certainly don't care.

Financiall speaking, Helix is a massive hit, but you do seem to get a lot and the free updates are nice. Amplitube and IK in general have a horrible price struture, but you can get started and good results with less of an impact. If you put me in a room with my guitar and either Helix or Amplitube, I'd be pretty happy either way. It doesn't make a difference to me. Give me a bit of time and i'd learn them both and come out with great tones on either - no problem.

I own both (plug Guitar Rig of course) and prefer Helix Native by a mile.
I have been trialling Blue Cat Axiom as it's on sale for $149 right now and there's some great stuff in that package. May pick it up next time I'm paid.
Couple of little tips re Helix Native if you try it out - if you are using presets for some damned reason they love to add in hum so if you're like me and hate that background noise, however authentic, dial back any settings for Hum or Bias you can find - also and I can't stress this highly enough, find some decent Amp/Cab IR files because that shit makes the difference between it sounding OK and sounding amazing.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Neural DSP hands down.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am Neural DSP hands down.
Which is not Helix Native or AmpliTube 4!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:04 am
Robmobius wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am Neural DSP hands down.
Which is not Helix Native or AmpliTube 4!
Really? Why not try a potato then?
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Guitars”