Courseware, do you consume it?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a cheap bastard but finally caved in on some truefire courses. Just to change up my playing. I like the 50 smooth jazz licks with Gill Paris.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Just the freebies on Youtube. I have a few guitarists that I follow, and when I feel like it, I learn something. There's one guy, plays €5,000 Collins guitars and others in that range, and I can't bring myself to contribute to his patreon thingy because, well, he has more money that I do. Also, no online banking or PayPal.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I got Petrucci's course and Chris Brooks, started looking at some YT but got books too.
Getting more into sweep picking, various tremolo bar techniques.
More of tapping and such.
All things that make you spend more time with the guitar neck.

It's so cheap and if just one thing stay with you long term it's worth it.

It all favours being more fluent in the end....

When I pay for something I want my monies worth out of it so I'm more committed to the act of practice. I find I work harder at whatever I'm learning and I apply to regular performance.

When I don't pay for something I enjoy learning it sticks less. Troy Grady has a great system for picking. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4xYcl ... uMV76lb_vQ
I often suggest it here and elsewhere. But I've never actually paid for the course. As a result I haven't internalized the concepts to where they are second nature.

I understand that element. It's difficult for me to really consistently practice and expand my skills, because there's no one to play with.

Tim Pierce is someone I might consider paying. He's a monster player.

Justin Sundercoe offers a lot of technical lessons, and all of them are free. He's done very well for himself with his 'pay if you can' model, expanding to things like song and theory books that you have to pay for.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Seriously,,,, Play along with those playalong yt videos where they have the progression breakdowns. I know, not the real thing.

I just started back up with practicing scales after a long hiatus. And noticed something along the way. When I lose the beat I focus on 1 and 3 which is a terrible idea. I need to break that habit quick.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:38 am

Tim Pierce is someone I might consider paying. He's a monster player.

Looks like he just joined truefire
https://truefire.com/search/?q=Tim%20Pierce

That's the guy. I watched him giving a lesson on Hendrix's v of Hey Joe, and he had the feel exactly right, not just the notes. If I could commit time, and the means of payment, I'd likely take his lessons.
-Henry A. Wallace

I've seen a few of his videos on yt. He definately has the goods.

As a beginner, I do consume. Justin Sandercoe from justinguitar.com is my teacher and he's awesome, the content is solid but he also has this sunshiny character that makes the lessons fun, something I very much look forward to. He's succeeded in making the daunting task of learning a new instrument feel like it's achievable.

An online course is perfect for me as I can do the sessions any time of the day I have a slot, and practice until I'm ready for the next one.

i did try a few on pootube a few years back, david walliman (iirc) was one i remember seeming quite interesting with modes and such.

it was at this point, i realised my main weakness was it seemed most guitar tutors were speaking a foreign language :o
watching the fingers, totally understandable! but years of self teaching or picking up bits from other self taught players, i have absolutely no vocabulary to speak of.

i did enjoy steve stine though, bit of a glam rocker, but seems like a nice guy, but also speaks 'rock!'
never done a paid course, but did follow his basic theory for guitarists, as despite playing guitar for many years, and having a decent although far from extensive understanding of theory, id never managed to align it to the guitar neck, as all my theory lessons had been on piano :oops: :lol:

PMad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Have never paid for or used courseware to learn guitar. To be honest, I’m not sure if courses would have helped me get to where I am faster though. I think some people (myself included) prefer to not learn through courses and lessons, for better or worse.

When I first started playing guitar thought I was pretty good by myself. Friends taught me a few chords and I picked up a bit here and there. Would pick up books from the local library and tried to teach myself I played a lot of pop and punk but I was completely in the dark to what I didn't know.

DK effect you don't know how bad you are so you think you're better than you are. Then one day you might be owned by a real player or an audience.

I started taking lessons. It made what I was understanding in my head a reality in my fingers. It helped me to know what I didn't know. If forced me to look at my weaknesses and strengths. I learned more in 3 months with a real teacher than I'd accomplished on my own in the previous three years.

With an attitude like "It probably wont help me" you've already made up your mind that you don't want it to.

I'm the type of person who is looking for another thing. If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got. Playing "Stairway to Heaven" was really cool for me back in the 70's Same with "Purple Haze" Playing them now is simply going through the motions.

Return to “Guitars”