What did you get in 2020 (Guitar related)

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh boy, 2020 was a big year for my guitar stuff. In 2019 I put together a pedalboard based around the Victory Kraken V4 and HX Effects, with an Elektron Analog Drive for dirt and Catalinbread 5F6 as a clean channel. There were a few issues with this setup:
  • the 5F6 had to be dialled in as bright as possible to match the tube preamp, leaving "nowhere to go" in terms of adjusting to a room etc.
  • the Analog Drive was a touch noisy, cannot cascade multiple gain models, and doesn't have a big muff
So 2020 was the year I added a loop switcher and compact pedals. Here's the current state of play:
end-2020-pedalboard.jpg
Left-to-right, top-to-bottom commentary:
  • Fredric Effects Regent 150: This is my "clean channel", with plenty of headroom and powerful enough EQ to match and exceed the range of the Kraken. I'm not pushing it hard so it sounds quite neutral really; but it's compact, easy to use, looks great, with good build quality.
  • Fredric Effects Zombie Klone: It's a Klone, and supposedly a pretty good one. I set it up as a compromise between delivering a nice TS-like filter/boost into gain channels and working as an alternative crunch channel into the Regent 150.
  • Fredric Effects Grumbly Wolf: Basically a DOD250/D+ and Green Ringer 2-in-one. With the ringer off it gives some different gain tones, but mostly I have it as a "holy #%*^ button" with the ringer on.
  • Morningstar ML5: MIDI loop switcher, controlled from the HX effects. Compact and easy to use. A big part of what makes this board so great is that I put the HX effects (input and effects send) into an ML5 loop. After the dirt pedals we go to preamp section, then back into HX effects for cab IR and post-FX. This means I can bypass one set of ADC/DAC if not using any HX pre-effects. This has a very noticeable effect on the noise floor!
  • Fredric Effects Accomplished Badger mk1: LOVE this thing. Three gain stages, three knobs, the middle stage is grungy germanium. I have it set to break up a little and provide a little boost; running this into the Regent 150 gives my clean channel a bit of texture and compression, running it into the Kraken gives some fat lead gain. Pushing it with other pedals goes into squishy fuzz territory.
  • Fredric Effects Green Russian: compact Russian Big Muff clone. I wouldn't mind if the tone knob range worked differently, I have it nearly all the way open to get the sizzle I want - but even then there is a solid low end. Compared to traditional fuzz pedals it handles dissonant chords really well, which I think is a general property of muff pedals. Also fantastic on bass, obviously.
As you can tell I like the Fredric stuff: it's so compact, well-built, and if you're patient the used prices are quite competitive with production pedals.

And here are the other pedals accumulated in that time:
2020-pedals.jpg
  • Boss SD-1: The classic alternative tubescreamer. Used before buying the Klone; honestly it's just as good running into gain, but I like the Klone texture better when running into clean.
  • Digitech Hardwire SC-2: Marshall-y distortion box. Fabulous build quality, I'd been hoping for a sort of DS-1++ but the character is a bit different. It sounds nicer than a DS-1 but that's not always helpful. Doesn't quite fit my palette, but likeable nonetheless.
  • AMT V1: This was my clean channel in-between the 5F6 and Regent 150. I'm wondering about swapping back actually, because you can limit the headroom by balancing the gain/volume controls and that would help keep my levels more consistent.
  • Fredric Unpleasant Companion v2: I'd hoped this would be a good "holy #$%^ button" but it's kinda fussy and that's not what you need when rocking out. The "fuzz" control is very subtle, and the mid-scoop pot has 90% of the action at one end of its range. It does the volume-knob-cleanup thing and a pretty unique honky sound, so intend to keep it around for studio solos and overdubs.
  • Domovoi Aggressive Repulsive Disorder: This OCD-derived bass distortion was made by one of my fave bands with appropriate artwork. It has an interesting mix control design that includes some filtering to approximate the classic distorted bass parallel chain.
  • Boss OD-3: Very different from SD-1: it cuts the lows a bit but not as much and adds a nice bright Marshall-y crunch. My board doesn't need that, but I like it on synths.
  • Digitech Hardwire CM-2: Now this is a Tubescreamer++, or a Bad Monkey+. It's slightly more complicated to dial in than the SD-1 (or a TS808), but that flexibility makes it superb for bass guitar as a thick low-end can be recovered. I'd recommend it to anyone that likes the sound of tubescreamer saturation but not the filtering - basically the opposite of how most people use them :ud:
  • Devi Ever Aenima: So much hiss. Nice texture for guitar solo. Monstrous on percussion loops. Keep for studio :tu:
  • DIY rat/green ringer combination, already posted to KVR. I ended up using the grumbly wolf on my board as it does the same job and is much faster to dial in. But this is very versatile, could also go in the mid-boost-OD slot if necessary.
I would stress that this was not my usual pedal-buying rate! I spent a lot of 2019 failing to win things on ebay and my luck/technique turned in 2020. Nearly every compact pedal was bought used or at a substantial discount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My iRig HD 2 interface arrived, and sounds fine. It will be fastened on my desk where cables can used wiithout it flopping around. It is recognized by my linux setups, and the latest wine-staging 6.06 in Ubuntu Studio allows IK's new authorization tool and Custom Shop to function correctly, a very pleasant surprise.
Then Reaper 5.9 successfully scanned the plugins, just in time for the weekend :hyper:

Amplitube 5 SE is bundled, so for $99, you get the interface and some decent software, if in the market for such things.
Cheers

werp wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am a knaggs chesapeake choptank, fender american deluxe (2014 shawbucker model), I binned the pickups and inserted a set that emulates the schecter 500 series pick ups, a la the mid eighties red schecter of Mark Knopfler.
a vox ssc 55 in teaburst and a gibson reverse v.
a Poly effects Digit and seperate Beebo.
There’s a Mod Dwarf (kickstarter) due in..February/March at a guess.
Oh I also scored an esp eclipse 1 (mint condition) in a trade for my gretsch 6118t.
How do you like getting on with your Beebo? Anything you don’t like about it?

This space for rent!
Last edited by werp on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:09 am
werp wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am a knaggs chesapeake choptank, fender american deluxe (2014 shawbucker model), I binned the pickups and inserted a set that emulates the schecter 500 series pick ups, a la the mid eighties red schecter of Mark Knopfler.
Oh I also scored an esp eclipse 1 (mint condition) in a trade for my gretsch 6118t.
There’s a Eurorack version on the way by the name of “Hector”. Read about that on Modulargrid.net. It’ll feature all algorithms but with C/V inputs/outputs as well as audio I/Os on the front panel.
Loki is working on a Looper for the Beebo/Digit. Expect that be released soon. It’s currently available as a beta.
Digit/Beebo firmwares now run in paralell.

I think preset changes still take too long to be useful without a bit of planning in the live scenario.
Midi in worked the first time I tried it but it’s still relatively early days in development yet.
Loki has an employee to help him assemble the things now but from the development point of view it’s still a one man (+ cat) operation.

It’s a luxury item, not a neccessity. If you’re into complex reverbs (you can record/use/sample your own impulse responses) I don’t think there’s anything quite like it.

werp wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:39 am
There’s a Eurorack version on the way by the name of “Hector”. Read about that on Modulargrid.net. It’ll feature all algorithms but with C/V inputs/outputs as well as audio I/Os on the front panel.
Loki is working on a Looper for the Beebo/Digit. Expect that be released soon. It’s currently available as a beta.

I think preset changes still take too long to be useful without a bit of planning in the live scenario.
Midi in worked the first time I tried it but it’s still relatively early days in development yet.
Loki has an employee to help him assemble the things now but from the development point of view it’s still a one man (+ cat) operation.

It’s a luxury item, not a neccessity. If you’re into complex reverbs (you can record/use/sample your own impulse responses) I don’t think there’s anything quite like it.
I saw it being compared to Zoia and I got curious. It’s definitely a “luxury” item. Nothing I need but I was thinking it’d work well in a minimalist setup.

My biggest concerns with it and Zoia are just the setup time since there’s so many options, but depending on workflow, it might be a non-issue.

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:52 am
werp wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:39 am

I saw it being compared to Zoia and I got curious. It’s definitely a “luxury” item. Nothing I need but I was thinking it’d work well in a minimalist setup.

My biggest concerns with it and Zoia are just the setup time since there’s so many options, but depending on workflow, it might be a non-issue.
I tried the Zoia twice and moved it on twice...Neat idea but my brain just didn’t connect with the user interface, not one tiny bit...I hated the fact that there was no standardisation in patch level volume...I could have stuck a compressor/limiter after the thing I suppose..but then I’d have had to go out and buy one...easier all round just dropping it altogether.

BOSS GT-1;
Guild F-40E;
Fender noiseless pups for my Strat.

Since I want the multi-fx mostly for time/modulation through my VOX, BOSS serves well enough.
The Guild is great.
The pups on my Strat are great.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:29 am Fender noiseless pups for my Strat.
The pups on my Strat are great.
word
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I got one of Gibson's Les Paul Standard 50's models. I could finally afford a real Les Paul having learned guitar on a Hohner copy around 20 years ago, and just at the right time, Gibson went back to their roots with these full bodied traditional Les Paul's. No chambering, no robo tuners, no coil splits, or any other gimmicks just a couple of PAF's and a slab of mahogany. Sounds amazing and It's now my go to guitar.

I also upgraded my 2018 Fender American Original Strat with 3 Seymour Duncan Antiquities Surfer Strat 2 pickups. They sound absolutely amazing and after many Strat pickup changes from mini humbuckers to noiseless stacked, I won't be changing them again.

I've also bought a bunch of VST's and DAW related software. A few replacement Tremolo blocks and bars (I am a serial tremolo breaker apparently) and I discovered THE pick for me. I am sure I bought a load more stuff but that's what stands out.

Aren’t Fender noiseless pickups essentially humbuckers? Just vertically stacked, rather than side-by-side? Never saw the point of those for anything like real Strat tones. But eh, if you like them, why not.

Meanwhile, my guitar-centric purchases for ‘21 (the thread needs updating..? ;)) are minimal so far: wah and fuzz (WD7 and Stone Bender).

I am so unworthy! I did not purchase anything guitar-related for a while (amps-ims aside - these don't count, or do they?).

I certainly have been lusting over a few guitars, but I have far too many already anyway. At some point I figured out that I am mostly some kind of a Strat player and I have four nice Strat-style guitars that I tend to keep switching between after a couple of weeks or even months - it's always great to fall in love with them again... oh, that reminds me: I purchased something guitar-related in 2020 after all - a set of Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot Strat PUs, but somehow I didn't come around putting them in yet (I had planned to put them in my Squier VM Strat) - we moved in the meantime and tbh I don't even know where they are right now... :lol:

And stomp-boxes? I have so many (and great ones), but never use them - I'm too lazy to hook them up.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

In 2020 - I got these - Ibanez RG652AHM and a Jackson dinky. Bought a few amp modelers (THU, Neural DSP Plini and Cali, some Kuassa REs, Nembrini MHR... to name a few) to go with it.

In 2020 I got a PRS SE Standard and FUCHS Overdrive Supreme (Amp Sim).

Best purchase of 2020 was a new MacBook and the Fortin amp sim.

Return to “Guitars”