Expensive vs Cheap guitar? What makes it better?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Henry Jimdrix wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:21 am That did cross my mind, people who have complained about tuning stability issues with the model may not be that be very knowledgeable as to the possible causes of the issue.
The possible culprit, the nut.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

hey noodles... i wish i had kept my old gold tokai strat (was either a 57 or 62 reissue model) after i did a fret job on it... it could almost play itself. it was a wonderful guitar. an old band mate of mine tried to trade me his beat up "Black Beauty" LP for it when i moved back home from ohio. he loved that tokai too

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:06 pm hey noodles... i wish i had kept my old gold tokai strat (was either a 57 or 62 reissue model) after i did a fret job on it... it could almost play itself. it was a wonderful guitar. an old band mate of mine tried to trade me his beat up "Black Beauty" LP for it when i moved back home from ohio. he loved that tokai too

cheers
Was it made in Japan like mine? I put a set of Tonerider pure vintage pickups in it. I also made it 7 way with a neck pickup blend tone pot with a master tone.

yeah it was japan... i got it mid late 80's i think. sadly got rid of it during hard times i think back in '97 maybe? gettin' old and can't rem details as well as i used to lol

i have a Carvin kit strat i built back around 2000 that i have a new set of seymour duncan cali 50s and a blender pot setup going in if i ever get a 'round tuit'. but on top of being old... i am bloody lazy too lol

cheers

p.s. but that all will have to wait until i break in and get used to a new 'original series' 50s les paul i bought in tobacco burst... i am calling it "The Nicotine" lol it just came yesterday :) it is bloody heavy lol... weighs in @ 10lb even :neutral: (probably should call it "The Back Breaker" lol)

"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:09 pm
Unaspected wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:15 pm Tuning - and for how long it holds it.
and this is useful because... :shrug:
OP seemed to want to read opinions on the difference. :shrug:

Unaspected wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm
Unaspected wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:15 pm Tuning - and for how long it holds it.
;) was just messing, you know me and tuning n stuff :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:09 pm
Unaspected wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm
;) was just messing, you know me and tuning n stuff :hihi:
:hihi:

Well. I'll be honest. I flew through and the value of the information I provided wouldn't buy a bag of crisps. So it was a fair challenge, regardless as to the weight thrown behind it. :clown:

just stretch the strings
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

You won't notice a difference or even appreciate the details of an expensive hand made guitar until you have YEARS of practice, playing and gigging under your belt. Since the OP even asked, he/she is not proficient enough yet for the expensive stuff. This is absolutely NOT a dig or disparaging comment toward the OP. I can muck around a bit on a cheap 2 octave midi controller but I'd need to spend a few years of intense practice to appreciate and even be able to tell the difference between that and a full 88 key weighted professional controller.

what?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Is this a question for me? My response was a diplomatic way to say "If you can't tell the difference you are not good enough yet"

licasto2 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:19 pm You won't notice a difference or even appreciate the details of an expensive hand made guitar until you have YEARS of practice, playing and gigging under your belt. Since the OP even asked, he/she is not proficient enough yet for the expensive stuff. This is absolutely NOT a dig or disparaging comment toward the OP. I can muck around a bit on a cheap 2 octave midi controller but I'd need to spend a few years of intense practice to appreciate and even be able to tell the difference between that and a full 88 key weighted professional controller.
Maybe, maybe not. Personally I disagree. I bought a Cort with a licensed by FR tremolo for my first electric. It was AU$500. Absolute garbage and it took me about a month to reach the point where I was sick of it. I got lucky and a 70's Les Paul got offered to me at a good price so I bought it. The difference was obvious and undeniable. Maybe your perception says more about you than other people?

(edit) also consider that to know the difference between 2 things you have to have experience with both. I thought it was obvious the OP had little experience with expensive guitars so I'm not sure why you would jump straight to the playing ability/experience as the reason.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 pm Maybe, maybe not. Personally I disagree. I bought a Cort with a licensed by FR tremolo for my first electric. It was AU$500. Absolute garbage and it took me about a month to reach the point where I was sick of it. I got lucky and a 70's Les Paul got offered to me at a good price so I bought it. The difference was obvious and undeniable.
When was this? Manufacturing has improved vastly with computers.

Where is the difference? Wood is wood, metal is metal, plastic is plastic, wherever. The action, setup, and fit can make or break a guitar, whatever the cost.

A floating tremolo for first electric, this could hinder ones progress. Cort have a reputation, I think they make guitars for other brands.

After shipping from new, sitting in a warehouse, then maybe in a shop, with varying temperatures. It might take a while for the wood components to settle.

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm When was this? Manufacturing has improved vastly with computers.

Where is the difference? Wood is wood, metal is metal, plastic is plastic, wherever. The action, setup, and fit can make or break a guitar, whatever the cost.
When? About 33 years ago. I don't know what sort of company Cort where back then.

I must have misunderstood because it looks like you are saying one piece of wood is the same as another.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:53 pm
The Noodlist wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm When was this? Manufacturing has improved vastly with computers.

When? About 33 years ago. I don't know what sort of company Cort where back then.

I must have misunderstood because it looks like you are saying one piece of wood is the same as another.
Surely they have the same properties? Species might vary in density.

Return to “Guitars”