Freestyle multichannel questions

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings. I downloaded Freestyle to try it out. I'm looking for a computer-as-performance-instrument application that's not MainStage. But there are a couple things I haven't figure out:

1. Does Freestyle pass multichannel MIDI information and how do you organize this? I use a Linnstrument, and what I want is to set up two MIDI instruments and filter them such that each MPE instrument gets 8 channels. Right now, it seems if I hit multiple notes in a MPE-capable synth, pitch bending one of them pitch bends them all. If this isn't possible, is it planned for a future update?

2. The snapshot functionality looks great, but is there a way to "reload" a snapshot? EG: I choose snapshot 2, I tweak a bunch of parameters (for instance, delay feedback) and then I want to instantaneously return to the settings in snapshot 2.

TIA.

jsterne wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:20 pm Greetings. I downloaded Freestyle to try it out. I'm looking for a computer-as-performance-instrument application that's not MainStage. But there are a couple things I haven't figure out:

1. Does Freestyle pass multichannel MIDI information and how do you organize this? I use a Linnstrument, and what I want is to set up two MIDI instruments and filter them such that each MPE instrument gets 8 channels. Right now, it seems if I hit multiple notes in a MPE-capable synth, pitch bending one of them pitch bends them all. If this isn't possible, is it planned for a future update?

2. The snapshot functionality looks great, but is there a way to "reload" a snapshot? EG: I choose snapshot 2, I tweak a bunch of parameters (for instance, delay feedback) and then I want to instantaneously return to the settings in snapshot 2.

TIA.
Snapshots- sure, hit the reload symbol when you hover over the snapshot title on the right.

Regarding midi- the context menu available on the midi inlet node allows port and channel selection. Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to assign the reload option to an external button on a controller?

On MIDI, it looks like you can choose 1 channel or all in Freestyle, not a group of them. I've now tested it with several MPE-capable synths (and one that allows channel per note but isn't 100% MPE) and am getting the same behaviour--pitch bend on one note bends them all if you hit a chord. It doesn't matter if I choose 1 channel or all.

For MPE, each note gets its own channel in a sort of round robin way so that for each note you can have a different velocity, pitch bend, mod wheel, aftertouch, and release.

Here's a good explanation (I'm using Linnstrument so I'll go with Roger's explanation): https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... hat-is-mpe

Ah I see what you are trying to do and I believe Freestyle is not mpe capable at this time. I will find out if it's on the roadmap for you.

Thanks.

I think as long as you can route all 16 MIDI channels to a single MPE capable plugin (i.e. Equator, Strobe, Surge...) it should work just fine, and Freestyle does have an option to route all MIDI channels from a particular MIDI input port to whatever plugin you want.

If you're trying to do this with MPE uncapable plugins, it might not be possible at this point.

I had no luck with any capable MPE plugins (was using "all").

OK yeah looks like Freestyle merges events from all channels to a single MIDI channel in case of "All". This might be a bug. I certainly wouldn't expect this behavior.

It doesn't help that Freestyle's Event Monitor doesn't monitor which MIDI channel the incoming messages are coming from.

Return to “New Sonic Arts”