Speedrum on Linux

Official support for: apisoniclabs.com
KVRer
3 posts since 25 Mar, 2021

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi @apisonic

Speedrum looks very interesting for my Linux setup, however, it doesn't seem to work for me.
I'm on ElementaryOS 5 (Ubuntu-based) using Tracktion Waveform 11.5.
Waveform manages to find Speedrum plugin, but gives me the following message:
Note that the following files appeared to be plugin files, but failed to load correctly:
speedrum_lite.so
I believe your project is closed source, so I could not track down what the problem could be. Could you please shed some light?

Thanks

KVRist
414 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:35 pm

Hi,

check the dependencies:
ldd ./speedrum_lite.so

did you try VST2 and VST3 also?

KVRer
17 posts since 19 Aug, 2020

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:45 pm

It's built on the latest Mint, tested on the latest Reaper and Traction on the Mint and works normally. I'm not sure what the source of the problem is, probably some dependencies as mentioned by Kott, but I don't have time to investigate right now.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 am

Thanks @apisonic and @Kott for reaching out.

I'm fairly new to Linux and so I was unaware of 'lld'. Both of you were correct in thinking it was a dependency issue. My operating system ElementaryOS 5 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 which uses glibc version 2.27, while the latest version of Mint seems to use glibc version 2.29...
ldd ./speedrum_lite.so
./speedrum_lite.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by ./speedrum_lite.so)
Same goes for the vst3 plugin. Should anyone know a way to fix this issue, I will be all ears.

Thanks again guys.

KVRer

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:27 am

Thanks to check it out.

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:14 am

Hi @apisonic

I did some further research to see if I could make your plugin work on my OS, but there is no pain-free solution. Having two versions of glibc for a single application would leave me with a very bloated computer system.

This leaves me with a request. Perhaps it would be interesting for you to build future releases against a slightly older version of Mint or Ubuntu. This would enable both older and newer OS users to use your plugin. Think of it like this: imagine if only Mac OS 10.15 users could use your plugin, or say 10.10 - 10.15 users. It would make a significant difference, I think. Even more so if you take into account that updating Mac OS is easy, but updating a Ubuntu-based distro is not (typically one would start from scratch again with the newer system).

This is not a criticism, it's your software and you should do with it as you please, I'm simply trying to help.

KVRer

Post Sun May 02, 2021 7:43 am

The latest version support Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and above.

Return to “Apisonic Labs”