Possibility of a U-He Drum Machine?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everything that pdxindy said.
pierb wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:47 pm
As far as the video you posted, yeah, but I was actually replying to the OP.
I posted an actual u-he made demo of a drum machine from a few years back... And it's not a virtual analog.
He asked for a u-he drum machine and i linked one?
"As far as the video i posted" - the video i posted is the only thing that's factual about this whole thread.

VIRTUAL ANALOG implies you're modeling existing analog instruments (as far as the term is used), so a "new modern virtual analog" is an oxymoron.

+2 to pdxindy's posts.

Curious to see how easy it'll be to patch amazing drums with Z3 and H2 though. Until then, Bazille can also be a crazy good and versatile drum synth (and Z2 of course).
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

ACE is pretty good for drum hits too.

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

what has that search got to do with a physical modelling drum synthesizers?

Second this, would love to see a U-He general purpose drum synth with both physical modeling of real drums and an emulation of classic drum machines like 808/909.

gislikarl wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm Second this, would love to see a U-He general purpose drum synth with both physical modeling of real drums and an emulation of classic drum machines like 808/909.
that seems like two different drum synths tbh

AnX wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:24 pm
what has that search got to do with a physical modelling drum synthesizers?
A simple alternative for drums since the OP is apparently not going to get his wish at least any time soon..
Urs wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm i think he said it a few times already that it's shelved indefinitely, but not out of the question?
That is what he said.
The point being there are a ton of free drum samples and plugins to manipulate them that are available now....and the words Physical Modeling do not appear in the OP..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

They appear in the u-he made drum machine. At least synthesis is implied given u-he's track record.

edit:
i often use samples, but it's not really as fun and as flexible as using as synthesised drum, especially with a sequencer for doing some dynamic fills. (adjust damping, tuning, frequency shifting, whatever - doesnt the same with samples)

Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:10 am and plugins to manipulate them
Lots of fun here........:wink:

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:28 am ... i often use samples, but it's not really as fun and as flexible as using as synthesised drum, especially with a sequencer for doing some dynamic fills. (adjust damping, tuning, frequency shifting, whatever - doesnt the same with samples)
This is just it; real drums are very dynamic, sonicly-interactive/sympathetic things. True you can get sonic-interaction within a buss, saturated with a bunch of hits. Though, with the real thing, this happens within the shell of the drum itself (or cymbal mass), also within the real room where the kit sits, etc.--each hit has some interaction with the previous one(s). Samples have no such awareness.

As far as I can tell, the U-he demo is something different than a normal drum-synth. I recall it being explained as a cascade of delay lines, in such a manner to emulate the membrane and shell of a real drum. Thus interaction and liveliness uncharacteristic of samples or other drum-synths.

Real drummers know the difference playing synthetic vs. real. The U-he demo sounds like strong steps toward real-ish. I'd really like to see this come along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QfG2Ng_ztA

The snare drum took like 80% CPU and was still not realistic enough to compete with samples.

'real' drummers play real drums

drummers play drums

AnX wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 am 'real' drummers play real drums

drummers play drums
Ahh, the internet and subtlety ... :wink:
Yes, AnX, of course they do.

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:00 am not done by uhe tho?

there's quite some otherwise, to varying degrees. AudioSpillage drumspillage, IL Drumaxx, AAS Chromaphone and very very sparse "tom resonance modelling" in BFD3.
From hardware there's also ATV Electrorganic aFrame.
(I'm somewhat a fan of Physical modelling synthesis)

This is the u-he mythical drum machine that springs up every now and then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7n1BBeeiU

despite my lukewarm response earlier up, I'm actually super excited for it, the snare sounds different than in other algos i've heard so far, and frankly even at this alpha point it sounds different and more special than some of the commercial products.

I'd even be happy by riding it beta for the next 2 or 3 years. :P
When I first saw the topic I thought "Why?" Who needs a another bloody drum machine?
Then I watched the youtube-video. I have just gotten into Bitwig lately and everything I do is pretty much real time modulation and synthesis now. Except for one thing: the bloody rhythm/percussions/hihats. There is only so much you can do with pitch/filter and a volume envelope. :(

As long as the sound is up there with other U-he synths I think it's a winner.

I have Waldorf Attack which is... not up to the standards. The only drum synthesizer I used to like was the Microtonic, but it lacks some things and is a bit limited soundwise.

I don't know the potential consumer base of such a drum synthesizer though. Maybe there is a reason to why there are so few real drum synthesizers out there?

Return to “u-he”