Fun with feedback (now with example patches and project)

Official support for: u-he.com
KVRist
297 posts since 15 Apr, 2004

Post Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am

Gaaaah!
I just tried feeding back zebrify into it self with two FMO's and a XFM.
Holy racket batman! :-o

But after adding some gates and some midi notes it is almost controllable.
Pitchtracking the input and FM amount on the FMO's
Envelopefollower on the filter cutoff.
Brutal Hipass filter in the feedback path + a limiter made life easier.
Lot's of tuning levels here and there.

Sounds easily go from complete noise to beautiful thermins, to brutal basses with lot's of Fm.
The coolest thing is that with this amount of modulation going on you never get something static and boring. And when you start getting control of the sound it sounds really really good! :D
And all this at 2% Cpu....

In short, I'm having a blast with this one! :D
//L

(You can do feedback routing in Reaper, make sure you allow feedback routing in the project settings.
Add zebrify on channel 1,
add a send to channel 2
On channel two add a limiter and a eq
On channel two add a send to channel one
Turn down you monitoring.
and make sure your Cat is not near the speakers)

Edit:
I finally have uploaded a simple Reaper feedback project and some Zebrify Patches.
You can get it here for 7 days, or 100 downloads.
https://download.yousendit.com/U0d4Z28zcHZuSlRIRGc9PQ

The patches have some XY controls and will start generating sound as soon as you load them in to a zebrify in a feedback loop.

One is made from two filters with resonance (+ compressors to control the volume)
The other two also contain FMO's so you can control them with midi as well if you want to.
The Reaper project also contains a Zrev for some earcandy :wink:

Enjoy! :)
//L
Last edited by lazerkind on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
4036 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Post Fri May 15, 2009 1:42 pm

How can I do this in Logic8 (I don't know enough about that program!)

KVRian
595 posts since 20 Jan, 2006

Post Fri May 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Let's take a moment to reflect back on the life of Frisky. She liked to play with yarn. Sometimes she would lay on the top of the TV vents and cause it to overheat. Sometimes she would say Meow, other times just Wraonn. She kept us free of mice. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time. She will be missed.

KVRAF
1528 posts since 12 Jun, 2004 from Portland, OR

Post Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 pm

My cats are fin with it :P

lazerkind, you feel like posting some patches?

(I think we need a new phrase postfu - patches or shut the f*ck up!)

Urs
u-he
25635 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Sat May 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Howard wrote:How can I do this in Logic8 (I don't know enough about that program!)
Set input of Zebrify track to a bus. Send output of Zebrify track to same bus. Should work IIRC

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun May 17, 2009 11:32 pm

kodama wrote:My cats are fin with it :P
lazerkind, you feel like posting some patches?
(I think we need a new phrase postfu - patches or shut the f*ck up!)
Sure, I 'l put up a few when I get back home.
Any recommendations on what file sending service to use?
//L

KVRian
595 posts since 20 Jan, 2006

Post Mon May 18, 2009 6:02 am

Losing Frisky was bad enough, but now Patches too?

KVRian
737 posts since 14 Apr, 2004 from Rome

Post Tue May 19, 2009 1:32 am

lazerkind wrote:Gaaaah!
I just tried feeding back zebrify into it self with two FMO's and a XFM.
Holy racket batman! :-o
In short, I'm having a blast with this one! :D
Just experimented some minutes ago, really amazing!!!
I've done a sleeparchive like loop in no time..
You can achieve very weird sounds using this method :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue May 19, 2009 2:09 am

Sorry for not uploading any feedback patches yet.
I been away for the weekend and came back to a mountain of work :(
Will upload some when time is on my side again.
//L

KVRian
616 posts since 17 Dec, 2008 from Liverpool

Post Tue May 19, 2009 4:26 am

Urs wrote:
Howard wrote:How can I do this in Logic8 (I don't know enough about that program!)
Set input of Zebrify track to a bus. Send output of Zebrify track to same bus. Should work IIRC
What about in Sonar Urs?

I attempted to try this last night...and ended up making a mess. So - you use a vsti (like Z2) obviously to trigger Zebrify. Send Zebrify's output to a bus and then re-route that signal back into Zebrify, right? In Sonar i am only able to route sends to buses, that in turn can only forward their signal into buses that follow that one. Not reverse back to a previous bus.

:shock:

F**k me, i think i'll just wait for the Zebrify manual!! :hihi:

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:51 am

I have uploaded a zip containing three example patches and a example reaper project. Link is in the first post.
//L

KVRAF
3233 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:53 pm

red37 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2009 4:26 am
Urs wrote:
What about in Sonar Urs?

I attempted to try this last night...and ended up making a mess. So - you use a vsti (like Z2) obviously to trigger Zebrify. Send Zebrify's output to a bus and then re-route that signal back into Zebrify, right? In Sonar i am only able to route sends to buses, that in turn can only forward their signal into buses that follow that one. Not reverse back to a previous bus.

:shock:

F**k me, i think i'll just wait for the Zebrify manual!! :hihi:
Unfortunately many hosts don't allow for feedback paths, and for these hosts most of the workarounds require piping the audio out of the host and back in which will add a fixed latency (delay) to the feedback loop. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a host's "external effect" feature, which is usually designed for patching in a hardware compressor or something. Ideally this will also allow the setup to compensate for the driver latency on the trip out and back into the daw. Whatever host you use, just Google "creating a feedback path in 'insert your host name here'. Usually someone has sorted out a way to do it already. Alternatively there are many modular subhosts that allow for single sample feedback paths and allow use of 3rd party vst plugins, so that can work too. It's definitely a fun way to make interesting noises and I would recommend recording all you fiddling with it live as you can make many cool noises out of nowhere and then have a damn hard time trying to recreate them.
Also I just realized that this is an old ass thread. Sorry.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “u-he”