Patch Contest # 2 (Ended)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

metajack wrote:It might be interesting to have a prerecorded midi file that everyone uses to create the MP3. I like the idea of a playable patch contest limited to the common controllers.
This makes more sense to me, otherwise there's a good chance the decision to vote may be based solely on the result of the mp3, which IMO defeats the purpose of a patch contest.

If we can't decide on a single midi file, then I say scrap the whole MP3 thing together and let the user decide based on how THEY interpret the patch. That alone is the hardest part of the contest. Designing a patch that another user would appreciate as much as you did when you created it.

elxicano wrote:
metajack wrote:It might be interesting to have a prerecorded midi file that everyone uses to create the MP3. I like the idea of a playable patch contest limited to the common controllers.
This makes more sense to me, otherwise there's a good chance the decision to vote may be based solely on the result of the mp3, which IMO defeats the purpose of a patch contest.

If we can't decide on a single midi file, then I say scrap the whole MP3 thing together and let the user decide based on how THEY interpret the patch.
Hmm.. well I think it would be difficult to find a midi file that would be acceptable for a broad range of tastes, plus it might tend to dictate the style of patch - if, say, we used a J.S.Bach file we'd get 10 harpsichords and as many W. Carlos patches. We might also end up with a load of patches tweaked to sound good with that particular midi file, but that don't sound so good, or aren't all that playable in normal use.

Probably best not bother with any mp3 or midi files for now (maybe Urs/Wonshu will resurrect the idea for a later contest).

I'll formally right up the new contest task shortly.

hakey wrote:Probably best not bother with any mp3 or midi files for now (maybe Urs/Wonshu will resurrect the idea for a later contest).
I might happen, who knows...

I think we'll have a fun theme in one month and a serious one in another. There's a forum too, everything will be open for discussion.

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:I think we'll have a fun theme in one month and a serious one in another.
Surely they should all be serious fun? :hihi:

Anyway, the new website sounds good, looking forward to it.

Return to “u-he”