zpc #11

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zebra patch contest #11: Emulation

For this contest, the goal will be to emulate ... anything! So long as it exists, and is not especially exotic, in the physical world.

[ nonsense ]

There's a duality in synthesis. On one hand, we're very attuned to the fact that different synths all have unique sounds that are a result of some Feng Shui of components and interface and many other factors real or perceived (I'd say all of which matter in the end). On the other, very often we're trying to recreate sounds from other synths, other musical instruments, or really anything with a distinct sound. Is this a contradiction?

Maybe no contradiction at all. With a little perspective and knowledge, we can manage to model aspects of sounds using the tools of a synth, the way a painter might capture light, color, etc. in a way a photograph doesn't. Also there are opportunities to make a synth patch expressive in ways samples couldn't. So, to what degree an emulative Zebra patch matches its source might not be the most important measure for this contest, certainly not the only measure :)

[ /nonsense ]

Anyway, not that we're only looking for synth emulations, but here's a link to the dinosaur upgrade gallery. And here's a link to King Crimson performing their song Dinosaur.

[ really, /nonsense ].

----

-- Submission deadline: June 28th
-- Please pm me on these forums, or e-mail me at **xh3rv.**andrew**@**gmail**.**com (remove *s)
-- Either one or two patches may be submitted
-- Please scrub your name from submitted patches (or stuff like MSEGs, OSC presets that can also have an author tag) - a blank author field or a ? or a * in there.
-- Best prize in the history of contests, *free u-he software*.
Last edited by xh3rv on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great! The next contest!

I already know one of the sounds I'll try to emulate. :)

Cheers
Dennis

Why not have 'make a recognizable emulation of something'? - restricting it to 'instrument or device' rules out lots of other interesting sounds, particularly natural sounds.

This was my original suggestion:
Emulation - make a recognizable emulation of something - it could be a real instrument, say a cello, a Minimoog, etc. or a well known synth sound, eg the 'Jump' patch, or a sound from nature - thunder, birdsong - well you get the idea.

Sure, can make this emulate 'anything' - have edited the top post to reflect this.

Great :tu:

(One more tiny thing - adding the word 'recognizable' might just make the task absolutely crystal clear i.e. 'make a recognizable emu...etc'. And also provides a benchmark for judging when it comes time to vote i.e. 'is it a recognizable emu?'.)

xh3rv wrote:Best prize in the history of contests, *free u-he software*.
so true

hakey wrote:Great :tu:

(One more tiny thing - adding the word 'recognizable' might just make the task absolutely crystal clear i.e. 'make a recognizable emu...etc'. And also provides a benchmark for judging when it comes time to vote i.e. 'is it a recognizable emu?'.)
Yes, have edited the original post to match this.

emulated elephant: cool
emulated bagpipes: cool

emulated elephant playing Wagner on bagpipes on the surface of Mars: not for this contest, although that should be a contest theme somewhere down the line

xh3rv wrote:emulated bagpipes: cool
...erm :shock:

Anybody don't know where to start there's loads of ideas (thankfully no bagpipes) in SOS's Synth Secrets series:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

xh3rv wrote:... emulated elephant playing Wagner on bagpipes on the surface of Mars ...
:hihi:
Sound Design, Music Production

Deadline is sneaking up on this. 4 days, plus minus some hours.

A little more than 24 hours on this - thankfully no vuvuzelas yet

Return to “u-he”