The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Than original idea of Hive would be lost, simplicity...my vote is against wt’s in Hive! To make this perfect synth for me it would need another osc or two and thats it.

Urs wrote: I much prefer smooth transitions between a much broader palette. Like, going from a to b to c and back to a, but this time over d, next time with a short stop at e. And definitely something that has more degrees of freedom than just 1.
Well of course, if you can make something for us that is more interesting than wavetable synthesis then by all means go for it! :tu:
But WT synthesis is so much more than Waldorf now - many other synths are using it too including the Virus TI which I understand that Hive was inspired by.

As I said, I'm aware that Hive is not a wavetable synth but I certainly don't share this view on wavetable synthesis. Personally I love the huge amount of timbres available in a wavetable synth along with the cool morphing or realtime change in timbre - if needed. I'm able to get great sounds out of it much more easily than with traditional synths - yes my subtractive synthesis skills could be better. And of course it's also possible to modulate the WT scanning with a random parameter or with a stepsequencer and if you then modulate the additional "wave bending" synthesis methods that many of these synths have at the same time it is pretty far from one dimensional.

Soarer wrote:...Virus TI which I understand that Hive was inspired by.
Not really, AFAIK.

Alright I might have mixed that up.

Since day one I've told you guys ... people want more options for oscillators besides saw and square.

There are all kinds of creative ways for you to do this. I've brought up the idea of sample oscillator with user cycles. you could also make the mapping generator spin in the 20 khz range, include it in Hive, and call it oscillator mode :!: , turning it into a wave folder. The simplest option would be include more oscillator waves. People just want some variation to play with besides the saw.

I like 1 the best TBH. I understand the fascination with 2 but 1 is easiest on the eyes and easiest for me to understand (what is that four square matrix for the lfo's?). I like the prophet style knobs best too.

New Colors.

Thanks for continuing support for Hive.

A few final thoughts (I had to load up Hive after reading through this). Waldorf was my first big boy instrument, and I have a special place in my heart for them. In fact I specifically love to mix Hive with Blofeld, they sound absolutely lush together. I do it all the time. I also have to disagree with you about yellow and pink. I think today's instruments need more color then the static orange/blue (already played out). These are personal opinions though, so don't take it personal. I've always pictured Hive with Purples or sunshine yellows myself.

I guess it's... I think of noise and distortion as beauty. I always have. as long as it's beautiful noise. I can't stand false perfection.

"It's exactly the problem we have solved in Hive. In Sylenth you have to tab back and forth, in Hive it's all on one screen. The sub oscillators in Hive offer less choice than a full oscillator, yet I haven't seen many Sylenth presets that are completely impossible to do in Hive. We believe that for this kind of 2-layered synth, Hive offers just the right feature set *without* any A/B section."

I get it...the simplicity of a single-screen UI.

FM capability would certainly be a gamechanger. Perhaps you could allow enable FM using the other OSC a la Serum.

General FM was one of the first things and probably the most requested thing with HIVE...

It won't happen folks! That's not what Hive is. What I think Urs and his team have in mind is a morph-able wave-shape oscillator with fixed shapes like SPIRE or ARCSYN. Seems like that might be what they have in mind... which would work with Hive beautifully. We'll have to wait and see.

If Hive will never get FM and it is a requested feature , maybe u-he should do a FM synth. I would love to see something like Image Line Sytrus with a better interface.

Well, all their modular do FM. A full FM monster would be cool though.

Tbh just shoving in wavetables would probably be something of a disappointment.

Really it could be anything that increases waveform complexity and makes people go ooh. Much of the modern obsession with wavetables comes from the instant ooh that people had with Massive when it first appeared.

Tbh honest you could just add a couple of handfuls of static wave forms and then an x/y pad, where you could assign the wave forms to the x/y coordinates. would work well with Hive.

I'm coming around to 3. It's very SYLENTH looking but it does have the most beauty. I like that blue/green pastel color. The layout of 2 of course, especially the sequencer of 2 is so much clearer.

I still say 1 is easiest to read and understand though. There is nothing to figure out, it's all in front of you with a knob per function and easy to look at. Everything is where it should be.

Return to “u-he”