Absolute Zebra: SoundSet for Zebra2

Official support for: u-he.com
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
29983 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon May 11, 2015 5:08 am

Not sure why but the patch 'EH 5´ Miles Up.h2p' is crashing Zebra 100% of the time as soon as you touch any control in Tracktion 6.1 on Mac. Removing the ´ seems to fix it.

User avatar
EdHarvey
KVRist
127 posts since 16 Feb, 2013 from Sydney

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Mon May 11, 2015 6:39 am

Well there's an interesting bug :?

The title "5½ Miles Up" should appear as something like "5 1/2 miles up".

I would guess either OSX Zebra or Tracktion is getting its character encodings mixed up and crashing as a result. I just tried Tracktion on Windows and that is fine....

Thanks for letting me know; I'm glad you figured out the cause (not sure I would have :roll: )

I'll change the patch title for any future shipping copies so that problem can be avoided for anyone else...

Again, many thanks,

Ed

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17155 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Mon May 11, 2015 6:50 am

½ character shouldn't be used in filenames for cross-platform compatibility. Neither should forward or backward slash.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
29983 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:53 am

EdHarvey wrote:Well there's an interesting bug :?

The title "5½ Miles Up" should appear as something like "5 1/2 miles up".

I would guess either OSX Zebra or Tracktion is getting its character encodings mixed up and crashing as a result. I just tried Tracktion on Windows and that is fine....

Thanks for letting me know; I'm glad you figured out the cause (not sure I would have :roll: )
My first hypothesis was the unusual character as such things are known to cause problems (I didn't even realise it was meant to be a 1/2). However it doesn't seem to be the whole story - removing that character from the patch stops it crashing, but I also (in the spirit of beta testing) tried adding it to several other patches from other banks and it didn't lead to a crash - so it must be a combination of the character and some other element in that patch (my guess is probably modulation related).
Last edited by aMUSEd on Mon May 11, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
29983 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:56 am

EvilDragon wrote:½ character shouldn't be used in filenames for cross-platform compatibility. Neither should forward or backward slash.
Yes it just doesn't translate on Mac - that's not just a Tracktion issue, it shows like ' in Finder too.

User avatar
bmrzycki
KVRAF
4072 posts since 11 Aug, 2006 from Austin, TX

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Mon May 11, 2015 7:22 pm

I renamed it to 5.5 miles up. :)

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9308 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (free demo bank now available)

Post Mon May 11, 2015 8:54 pm

Gosh wrote:i`m fascinated. this is one of the best soundsets for zebra and turns it into a ppg wave, a roland jd800, a roland jv-synth, a waldorf wave , a dx7 etc. thrown in are some nice emulations of acoustic intruments like guitar, bass and brass and some of the most realistic choirs i have heard from a pure synth. especially tangerine dream fans who love the ppg wave dominated period during the 80s will love this soundset. highly recommended (and now back to playing).
:o :tu: and a big :hug:
Demo tracks do sound good. I was just playing around with Zebra today and I thought, "This synth does not get spoken of with enough reverence on KVR." It really is a powerhouse.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

DynaMoHum
KVRist
44 posts since 27 Sep, 2012 from Texas

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Tue May 26, 2015 5:17 pm

Very nice patches, Ed!

Bought! :tu:

I'm really enjoying all the little subtleties and attention to detail, that you can bring out in them with your playing!

Thanks again!

User avatar
hollo
KVRian
970 posts since 28 Dec, 2004

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Fri May 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Ok found it! :) Lovely
(I was wondering if these are part of the soundset.)

https://soundcloud.com/auralscience/lov ... ebra-demos

User avatar
EdHarvey
KVRist
127 posts since 16 Feb, 2013 from Sydney

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 pm

hollo wrote:(I was wondering if these are part of the soundset.)
"Absolutely..."
(sorry, I couldn't resist :hihi: )

Almost everything is from the soundset; the exceptions being a quiet sequence part that fades in occasionally which is HS Harpo from the factory presets, and the hi-hat/train-chuff which is just white noise through a simple Attack/Decay amplitude envelope...

From memory, patches used were (in order of appearance):
  • FM Soft Keys
  • Fantasium
  • Soft Deep Bass
  • Bar Taps
  • Asgard Swell
  • Church Choir
  • Gentle Pianoid
  • Elysium Aether
  • Soft Strings

Shiek927
KVRist
443 posts since 14 May, 2014

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Sat May 30, 2015 10:56 am

hollo wrote:Ok found it! :) Lovely
(I was wondering if these are part of the soundset.)

https://soundcloud.com/auralscience/lov ... ebra-demos
Beautiful ♥. Amazing how Zebra still sounds fantastic after all this time. I really love this crystalline (FM?) bells at 0.22 ^^.

User avatar
EdHarvey
KVRist
127 posts since 16 Feb, 2013 from Sydney

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

Shiek927 wrote:Beautiful ♥. Amazing how Zebra still sounds fantastic after all this time. I really love this crystalline (FM?) bells at 0.22 ^^.
Thanks :hug:

Actually those bells are very simple (2 wave) wavetables :wink:

I find FM tends to be too 'busy' for that type of clear sound. It's difficult to get a very sparse set of harmonics, and the infamous FM 'wobble' can create too much movement if the FM amount is changed...

Howard
KVRAF
3645 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 am

EdHarvey wrote:I find FM tends to be too 'busy' for that type of clear sound. It's difficult to get a very sparse set of harmonics, and the infamous FM 'wobble' can create too much movement if the FM amount is changed...
Agree :-)

Shiek927
KVRist
443 posts since 14 May, 2014

Re: Absolute Zebra patchset (Now Available)

Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:16 am

EdHarvey wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:Beautiful ♥. Amazing how Zebra still sounds fantastic after all this time. I really love this crystalline (FM?) bells at 0.22 ^^.
Thanks :hug:

Actually those bells are very simple (2 wave) wavetables :wink:

I find FM tends to be too 'busy' for that type of clear sound. It's difficult to get a very sparse set of harmonics, and the infamous FM 'wobble' can create too much movement if the FM amount is changed...
Very very nice! ♥

Hopefully I can make bells that clear and crystal inside of Hive :3.

az82
KVRist
50 posts since 15 May, 2015

Re: Absolute Zebra: SoundSet for Zebra2

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:39 am

Brilliant library! Thank you! :phones:

Return to “u-he”