Feature Request : MPE support

Official support for: u-he.com
User avatar
Urs
u-he
22701 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:45 am

Release Velocity can pretty much only be used for envelope release times. Everything else would lead to clicks, thumps and other artifacts harvested through sudden change. It's not suited for a "general purpose" modulation source as we use them in many of our plug-ins.

The only other scenario I can think of is the one where a synth adopts a glide time for velocity - which we might experiment with.

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17163 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:51 am

Hm. So slew it just a tiny bit. There are synths out there that don't do clicks, thumps and artifacts when modulating stuff other than envelope times with release velocity...

For example in Kontakt, I can easily modulate filter cutoff with release velocity. No clicks, even with high resonance. Kurzweil's synths - also no problems. So what gives?


Please allow it. Everywhere. :) It is extremely useful.

Cinebient
KVRAF
3761 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 am

Yes please. I like to use velocity release also (mainly monophonic here then) f.e. to control delay or reverb tails or whatever.
So i can cut-off these or vice versa and let the last release of a lines of notes increase it.
I must say for me it´s the hardest part to control while playing since i´m not used to it really but it can be awesome.
+1 for letting us use that everywhere.

ulph
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Jan, 2011 from stockholm, sweden

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 am

+1 ED

Is there any synth out there that has an envelope (or mseg) with a release bump, much like the attack/decay we know from traditional ADSR but for the release part? To me it seems like a good way to deal with, but sure not trivial design wise.
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17163 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 am

You can do this with Zebra's MSEGs easily, release portion doesn't need to return to 0.

bafonso
KVRist
49 posts since 20 Nov, 2007

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:16 am

Just got a continuum and was looking forward to playing with diva, ace and repro 1. Has cc74 been implemented or is it in beta? My current diva version has the extended PB but no cc74 as far as I can see.

It's unfortunate that there's no standard.. for example, on the continuum my expression pedal sends control changes on channel 16. Is the current draft to send it on 1? I guess uhe won't support global changes in the near future but it just shows how non standard all this is.

Cheers

User avatar
Urs
u-he
22701 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:44 am

CC74 is the big thing missing in our implementation, but it's also the thing that's easily bent over to, say, CC2 which all our synths support.

User avatar
thetechnobear
KVRian
858 posts since 2 Jan, 2013

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 am

Urs wrote:CC74 is the big thing missing in our implementation, but it's also the thing that's easily bent over to, say, CC2 which all our synths support.
hmm, quite difficult in a few hosts e.g. bitwig (cannot remap the cc for timbre for mpe ), VEP5 (no midi cc remapping) ... but sure, most controllers allow you to remap Y to CC2, if you leave MPE mode, and go to voice per channel mode.

for sure I'm really grateful for the PB +/- 48, this was a bigger pain for sure, so thank you for your efforts to sort this out :)

bafonso
KVRist
49 posts since 20 Nov, 2007

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

Urs wrote:CC74 is the big thing missing in our implementation, but it's also the thing that's easily bent over to, say, CC2 which all our synths support.
Thank you for replying, specially during super booth time :) I am assuming right now all cc controls are 7 bit then? The continuum being so sensitive it would be great to have 14 bit access to both pressure and y.

I was actually able to re assign some stuff using logic pro x midi scriptter to better control Aalto so you're right that some re assigning is possible! Quite a powerful tool actually.

I have another question. Right now my expression pedal goes out only in one channel from the continuum (default 16). For Aalto, I simply remap to 1 which works as that is what it perceives as global channel . But for diva I would need to send that cc on all channels, correct?

Cheers

Howard
KVRAF
3649 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:24 pm

bafonso wrote:I am assuming right now all cc controls are 7 bit then? The continuum being so sensitive it would be great to have 14 bit access to both pressure and y.
14-bit CC is supported. (I haven't been able to personally test that, though!)

User avatar
Urs
u-he
22701 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Howard wrote:
bafonso wrote:I am assuming right now all cc controls are 7 bit then? The continuum being so sensitive it would be great to have 14 bit access to both pressure and y.
14-bit CC is supported. (I haven't been able to personally test that, though!)
(actually only for MIDI Learn, not then built-in MIDI CCs...)

buescher
KVRist
60 posts since 7 Aug, 2013

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 am

a bunch of the big stores and chains are now distributing the Roli. i just received my Rise 49 and WOW, the added expression it provides is just crazy. so i'm reading up on everything i can find, including Muffwigglers lengthy discussion of hooking this up to analog modular. too expensive and complicated for me, but it does make me hope that by the time Urs follows his passion to complete the Berlin Modular project, that MPE will be an established standard.

meanwhile, i think it's pretty graceless to so angrily demand U-He provide a free upgrade on the excellent software he's already sold, with little chance at compensation (unless Roli makes him an offer). on the other hand, it would be right neighborly if folks on this forum, like the Wigglers, would share their collective expertise on the best workarounds to take best advantage of current versions of ACE, Diva, Bazille, etc. with the emerging controller technology. (should this be a separate thread?) thanx.

Cinebient
KVRAF
3761 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:46 am

buescher wrote:a bunch of the big stores and chains are now distributing the Roli. i just received my Rise 49 and WOW, the added expression it provides is just crazy. so i'm reading up on everything i can find, including Muffwigglers lengthy discussion of hooking this up to analog modular. too expensive and complicated for me, but it does make me hope that by the time Urs follows his passion to complete the Berlin Modular project, that MPE will be an established standard.

meanwhile, i think it's pretty graceless to so angrily demand U-He provide a free upgrade on the excellent software he's already sold, with little chance at compensation (unless Roli makes him an offer). on the other hand, it would be right neighborly if folks on this forum, like the Wigglers, would share their collective expertise on the best workarounds to take best advantage of current versions of ACE, Diva, Bazille, etc. with the emerging controller technology. (should this be a separate thread?) thanx.
I just like to load up several instruments/instances and play them via the Rise (or even if i can´t hook that up via my macbook keys and Polymer) like it´s one polyphonic instrument.
I´m even not sure if it would be better to play a high quality MPE synth on one instance or share the load via several instances (if they don´t support multi-core).
However, MPE is fun everywhere for me. On my mac and my iOS device as well.
It can get easy out of control but normally it´s great.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
14215 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 pm

buescher wrote:on the other hand, it would be right neighborly if folks on this forum, like the Wigglers, would share their collective expertise on the best workarounds to take best advantage of current versions of ACE, Diva, Bazille, etc. with the emerging controller technology. (should this be a separate thread?) thanx.
I've had my Linnstrument for a while... It is great with Bazille! (all of them really!) I'm using the Linnstrument with Logic. The Linnstrument can output Timbre as CC#1 instead of 74 (or any other value for that matter) so with Logic, I get X, Y and Z with all the u-he synths! Also, +/- 24 on pitch works fine with that combo so I'm good to go. I am super happy with the Linnstrument! The user interface is brilliant. All configured right on the instrument and no need of any app.

buescher
KVRist
60 posts since 7 Aug, 2013

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 pm

thanks for the feedback. i found Roli's own guideline for hooking up to Diva. while i'm still early with equator and strobe2, it's probably time to take the U-He plunge. (though, in truth, i had to put Rise on my wife's IMac, seeing how my ancient Macbook, where i got most of my stuff, is woefully underpowered. and since U-He is not standalone, i'll have to try it with Garageband and Mixbus. here goes nothing.

Return to “u-he”