Feature Request : MPE support

Official support for: u-he.com
himalaya
KVRAF
4859 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

Urs wrote:Release Velocity can pretty much only be used for envelope release times. Everything else would lead to clicks, thumps and other artifacts harvested through sudden change. It's not suited for a "general purpose" modulation source as we use them in many of our plug-ins.

The only other scenario I can think of is the one where a synth adopts a glide time for velocity - which we might experiment with.
Hey Urs, 'release velocity' really works well with most synthesis parameters. The trick is to first modulate/open the amp envelope release stage (which you mention) and then modulate anything else. It comes through without any issues and can be very musical. We need to talk. :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17163 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Feature Request : MPE support

Post Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 am

Yes, you two need to talk! :) I want to see release velocity in u-he products as a mod source, too :)

Howard
KVRAF
3649 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 pm

For what it's worth I found release velocity rather useful while programming Waldorf Q sounds about 15 years ago!
(BTW I'm not a fan of the Q)

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Q is awesome. :D

ulph
KVRist
89 posts since 7 Jan, 2011 from stockholm, sweden

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:11 pm

I have incorporated release velocity in my own unreleased soft synth and I think it makes sense especially if connected to a release bump envelope (filter or fm, for instance). With the Linnstrument it feels like playing electric jelly that sticks a bit to my fingers...

But maybe not for everyone.
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

irre
KVRAF
4385 posts since 21 Jan, 2008 from oO

Post Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 pm

ulph wrote:I have incorporated release velocity in my own unreleased soft synth and I think it makes sense especially if connected to a release bump envelope (filter or fm, for instance). With the Linnstrument it feels like playing electric jelly that sticks a bit to my fingers...

But maybe not for everyone.
Sounds like fun!

thetechnobear
KVRian
858 posts since 2 Jan, 2013

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am

News : MPE officially adopted by MIDI Association

https://www.midi.org/articles/midi-poly ... ession-mpe

Final docs with be upload in coming weeks.

Finally, hardware and software will be able to implement with finalized specs.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 am

Took them long enough.

thetechnobear
KVRian
858 posts since 2 Jan, 2013

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:37 am

EvilDragon wrote:Took them long enough.
thats standards committees for you.
good to see MIDI CI was also adopted...

but I don't think anything was said about Midi HD/2.0 ...

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5777 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm

Is everyone with an MPE instrument that uses Tmbre (CC74) just using something like Cubase's Input Transformer to convert CC74 to one of the values U-he synths supports like Expression? I've just been doing this with my Rise in tandem with the Matrix in RePro-5 and it seems to work just great. I get polyphonic control the filter cutoff with the slide motion (being converted to Expression) and just use Aftertouch for Volume or Resonance. Am I missing out on something by setting it up this way or did I just stumble upon a workaround to make the Rise work better with U-he synths?

pdxindy
KVRAF
14215 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Is everyone with an MPE instrument that uses Tmbre (CC74) just using something like Cubase's Input Transformer to convert CC74 to one of the values U-he synths supports like Expression? I've just been doing this with my Rise in tandem with the Matrix in RePro-5 and it seems to work just great. I get polyphonic control the filter cutoff with the slide motion (being converted to Expression) and just use Aftertouch for Volume or Resonance. Am I missing out on something by setting it up this way or did I just stumble upon a workaround to make the Rise work better with U-he synths?
It's easy on the Linnstrument to set the Y axis (Timbre) to any CC value. Default is 74 and there is a dedicated CC1 option, that can then be set to any value. This works just fine in Logic for all the u-he synths (except Zebra).

Bitwig requires CC74... so I use Logic for the u-he synths. I look forward to someday being able to fully use u-he synths with Bitwig.

Urs
u-he
22701 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm

Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

We still plan to release updates to everything this year, awaiting some final tweaks to UI response times and the usual internal and public testing cycles.
That's great news! :tu:

Could you also add an option in the dropdown for "Timbre" and have it automatically map to CC74 behind the scenes specifically for MPE controllers (assuming that's in the spec)? Seems like it would save an extra step.

Urs
u-he
22701 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Urs wrote:Interesting. We have renamed our standard Breath / XPress modulation sources to Ctrl A/B with an option to set these to any MIDI Control Change message. Once new versions of any synths come out, these will have the option.

Could you also add an option in the dropdown for "Timbre" and have it automatically map to CC74 behind the scenes specifically for MPE controllers (assuming that's in the spec)? Seems like it would save an extra step.
We'll see what the final standard looks like. If it still has a status change message to turn MPE on in a device, we could automatically set the source selectors accordingly.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 am

Urs wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:

We'll see what the final standard looks like. If it still has a status change message to turn MPE on in a device, we could automatically set the source selectors accordingly.
After figuring out the "I can map CC74 to Breath or Expression" thing with Cubase's input transformer, I'm actually quite content with how well the U-he synths currently work with the Rise. Unfortunately, I still use Studio One quite a bit, which is where things are way more of a headache so any little bit helps.

Return to “u-he”