Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:So I have a Seaboard block now - what's the easiest way to get up and running with u-he synths, what works and what doesn't? I have Logic, Waveform and Bitwig which I believe all support MPE.
It’s going to be a bit different in each host but in bitwig it’s easy. Set the u-he plugin to “force mpe”,
Where do I find that setting?
Right-click the bitwig device, it’s a menu option there.
Also, selecting the device puts the option in the inspector as well... along with PB range (Bitwig 2.4 beta 2)
Ah, haven't activated my upgrade yet (waiting till release)

aMUSEd wrote:+/-48 sounds rather excessive, I thought most synths don't go above +-24 usually so assumed a range of 48 would break down into -24 to + 24, +-48 is 96!
96 is good if you plan on multiple octave slides for example. The idea is that you adjust the PB range to your needs. If you're only planning vibrato, you typically set a low pb in order to have a lot of resolution during your vibrato.

Yeah but Omnisphere for example won't go above +- 24

Mpe has been pushing Devs to out larger pb on ranges on their sythns, many are still catching up. I think I remember Urs grumbling about making oscillators that can do pb ranges of +-48 so I guess it is not a trivial thing.
It is a nice bonus to be able to do nice long bends, but I also like setting the pb smaller to make nicer smoother vibrato. As said it depends on the patch your Trying to make/use.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Just note that the wider the PB range is the coarser the resolution becomes... I mean, it's a given, but still, it has to be mentioned.

Not a problem if the synth has a lag processor/slew limiter, but if it doesn't, oh boy.

aMUSEd wrote:Yeah but Omnisphere for example won't go above +- 24
Since 2.4 Beta 2 you can now set the range in Bitwig per device. So for Omnisphere, you would set the Omni patch to +/-24 and select the Omni device in Bitwig and set it to +/-24

aMUSEd wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Thanks - I presume I also need to toggle convert Pitchbend?

PB range is set to +-24 (so 48 right?)
No you don’t want to convert the pitchbend. Not sure but I think that’s meant to concert to normal pitchbend but you want to leave it per channel/note.

Bend range should be set to whatever your linnstrument and vst is set to. Normal mpe is actually +/-48 but you can use other ranges now in bitwig, though like I said I believe the latest beta has a bug with this that screws up midi coming from hardware after recording it, for anything other than +/-24. See the bitwig forum for info there.
+/-48 sounds rather excessive, I thought most synths don't go above +-24 usually so assumed a range of 48 would break down into -24 to + 24, +-48 is 96!
Yeah 48 notes up or down is excessive but it is the mpe spec, I suppose so that is could cover any kind of slide instrument that might be emulated or synthesized by a vst. It’s up to the DAW if it wants to support lesser ranges, which thankfully bitwig now will.

It's semitones, 4 octaves, I don't see this would be excessive. You can do bigger slides on a full sized continuum for example.

bafonso wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Bitwig 2.4 beta 2
For a moment I dreamed there was a beta Diva version with better MPE implementation :)
Divas mpe implementation is pretty much complete for what the synth does (although expression scaling would be cool).
For me, expression scaling is the difference between being usable and not, especially when pressure is concerned. The bad part about controllers like the Rolis are that you can’t not send pressure. There’s no “aftertouch.” It’s “alwaystouch.” Roli makes its instrument have built in ways to put a threshold on input an scale it. I’ve been asking for this to be part of the control software, but it doesn’t look like they’re really interested in implementing that, so I’m kind of confined to software that has it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
bafonso wrote:
For a moment I dreamed there was a beta Diva version with better MPE implementation :)
Divas mpe implementation is pretty much complete for what the synth does (although expression scaling would be cool).
For me, expression scaling is the difference between being usable and not, especially when pressure is concerned. The bad part about controllers like the Rolis are that you can’t not send pressure. There’s no “aftertouch.” It’s “alwaystouch.” Roli makes its instrument have built in ways to put a threshold on input an scale it. I’ve been asking for this to be part of the control software, but it doesn’t look like they’re really interested in implementing that, so I’m kind of confined to software that has it.
I know what you mean. I no longer have a block but isn’t there a way to change the overall pressure curve in the dashboard?

You can run a script on incoming midi data in logic, maybe there's also a way to do it in bitwig. You could implement this easily using a script.

zerocrossing wrote:
bafonso wrote:
You can still get a lot of usability without the scaling, but it’s best to design patches where when you hit it with soft velocity come in slowly with the pressure and are meant to trigger the full pressure at full velocity. If that makes sense. You can’t teally use it as aftertouch like you would on a keyboardnwith aftertouch. This is perfectly demonstrated when using trillion patches with a Roli or linnstrument. You get crazy vibrato goingnon with every patch. Like you said it’s more of always touch, which is why pressure is a better word. But for that kind of expression where you might want to add a little something after the soundnis fully heard, you use the y axis because it’s totally independent. But pressure and velocity are usually related. Like a string being able to gently swell or attack straight away. U-he synths work pretty well when you assign something like cutoff to both attack and pressure so you have the choice of slow or fast attack. Some synths get weird conflicts with that.

Tip: Multiply pressure with itself for a more subtle curve.

So, following Roli's video posted earlier on how to set up frequency/cutoff for slide in Diva, in Reaper I'm not getting polyphonic filter response. Any slide affects all notes with VCF-1 Frequency set to controller 74 on 16 midi channels. Am I missing something here?
Assigning Pressure works and pitch is polyphonic.

Return to “u-he”