Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just add more modules and sell them separately just like Slate Digital does with their VMR modules

Great points for a possible Diva 2. But my only consearn is that Diva is too CPU-heavy at the moment. Fix that, and it will be the perfect soft synth (and Zebra 2 the runner up).

As we are dreaming; a hardware version of Diva (one knob-per-function) would be a dream, and a best friend to my new Ob-6;-)

onathanj wrote:Great points for a possible Diva 2. But my only consearn is that Diva is too CPU-heavy at the moment. Fix that, and it will be the perfect soft synth (and Zebra 2 the runner up).

As we are dreaming; a hardware version of Diva (one knob-per-function) would be a dream, and a best friend to my new Ob-6;-)
Urs said somewhere, maybe here, that they've gotten a lot better at solving the complex filter math in the five years since the release of Diva. In layman's terms: they could get the same, or higher, quality at much less CPU.

onathanj wrote:Great points for a possible Diva 2. But my only consearn is that Diva is too CPU-heavy at the moment. Fix that, and it will be the perfect soft synth (and Zebra 2 the runner up).
So you have money for Ob-6 but still can't buy $300 hex core i7?
OMG
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
OMG
Hey, been there myself. Sometimes it's one or the other! Plus that $300 processor, turns into a $150 mobo, then new RAM, might as well get a GPU...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
david.beholder wrote:
OMG
Hey, been there myself. Sometimes it's one or the other! Plus that $300 processor, turns into a $150 mobo, then new RAM, might as well get a GPU...
Mostly not - there are always several top of the line processor for any socket.

Even following your logic OB-6 requires: stand, wires, outboard fx, expensive sound card etc always more than price which is already high ~$2500-3000.
Last edited by david.beholder on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
david.beholder wrote:
OMG
Mostly not - there are always several top of the line processor for any socket.

Even following your logic OB-6 requires: stand, wires, outboard fx, expensive sound card etc always more than price which is $2500-3000.
Well, to your point, if I just dropped 3k on a synth, maybe I wouldn't be buying anything else for a while.

It's not even my synth, I'm just saying: everyone's in different financial straits and we all have different priorities. If I could afford an OB-6, then I hope I could also afford a house big enough to store all my gear because space is already getting tight in my office/studio. But I'd get the house before the synth, and definitely not both at once.

Who cares if onathan has an awesome synth and a slow PC? Maybe it was one or the other and he just wanted the synth more. Sorry, I've steered this thread further off topic. I'll shut up now. :oops:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Well, to your point, if I just dropped 3k on a synth, maybe I wouldn't be buying anything else for a while.

It's not even my synth, I'm just saying: everyone's in different financial straits and we all have different priorities. If I could afford an OB-6, then I hope I could also afford a house big enough to store all my gear because space is already getting tight in my office/studio. But I'd get the house before the synth, and definitely not both at once.

Who cares if onathan has an awesome synth and a slow PC? Maybe it was one or the other and he just wanted the synth more. Sorry, I've steered this thread further off topic. I'll shut up now. :oops:
I find it absurd as well.

Buy 3k synth and go complain about Diva CPU consumption instead of buying $300 processor and run 30-40 instances of Diva with no hiccups -- it's like buying sport car and complaining on gas prices/consumption or driving 20 y.o. toyota and complaining about slow acceleration.

If CPU is outdated it's quite stupid to expect it work well with modern plugins.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
OMG
It´s only people who haven´t tried a real analog synth with one knob per function that thinks it´s nothing special. In fact, the Ob-6 is a players instrument with instant gratification due to it´s fantastic sweet-spots. A thought trough hardware Diva could also fall into that category.

Since I cannot upgrade my 5.1 mac pro more, the alternative is a new mac pro, and it costs perhaps ten times more than your 300 dollar suggestion. And that, I can´t afford. Especially when my mac works well with every other soft synth. 3-6 instances with Diva is maximum for me.

david.beholder wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Well, to your point, if I just dropped 3k on a synth, maybe I wouldn't be buying anything else for a while.

I find it absurd as well.

Buy 3k synth and go complain about Diva CPU consumption instead of buying $300 processor and run 30-40 instances of Diva with no hiccups -- it's like buying sport car and complaining on gas prices/consumption or driving 20 y.o. toyota and complaining about slow acceleration.

If CPU is outdated it's quite stupid to expect it work well with modern plugins.
And the $300 dollar includes all the work I'd have installing all the things I collected over a couple of years, with all that serial number inputting, online activation, configuring, downloading software tools, giving Windows the look and feel I want etc. :P

Sometimes things are not as easy as they seem.

Please not another thread comparing hardware and software. It doesn't matter. This is a diva 2 wishlist thread.

2ZrgE wrote: And the $300 dollar includes all the work I'd have installing all the things I collected over a couple of years, with all that serial number inputting, online activation, configuring, downloading software tools, giving Windows the look and feel I want etc. :P

Sometimes things are not as easy as they seem.
WRONG! Your processor have no id, motherboard/network card does ;) i.e. no reinstallation would be needed at all.
onathanj wrote: It´s only people who haven´t tried a real analog synth with one knob per function...
I have like 10 of them incl. Prophet 6, Dominion 1, Oberheim SEM, still using Diva/Ace in actual production because of sound, scalability, recallability and workflow speed - no hardware piece gives it to me.
onathanj wrote:Since I cannot upgrade my 5.1 mac pro more, the alternative is a new mac pro, and it costs perhaps ten times more than your 300 dollar suggestion. And that, I can´t afford. Especially when my mac works well with every other soft synth. 3-6 instances with Diva is maximum for me.
In the price range of your mac mini I have PC that could run 30-40 U-he plugins and I think I still can upate to octocore - they should be cheap now - 3 years after build.

So it is "your computer suck" not "Diva is cpu hog".
Last edited by david.beholder on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Murderous duck!

ARP latch/hold is my #1 wish.

More models would be welcome, prophet, CS80, sh101, steiner-parker, wavetable oscillator...

I would also like an alternative mode for the 2VCO model with variable waveform selector instead of individual switches.
dedication to flying

onathanj wrote:
david.beholder wrote:
OMG
Since I cannot upgrade my 5.1 mac pro more, the alternative is a new mac pro, and it costs perhaps ten times more than your 300 dollar suggestion. And that, I can´t afford. Especially when my mac works well with every other soft synth. 3-6 instances with Diva is maximum for me.
Assuming you're on Logic Pro X then? Have you tried utilizing Track Freeze?

Freezing track is possible on every great daw today but its not ideal for my workflow even if I use it when I have to. I normally use Diva in draft mode to use more instances, and I wish it would be enough but it´s not ;-)

But back to topic, the heavy cpu-usage of Diva is still the only complaints people have as far as I´we seen among forums and musician friends. And thats from people who use great processors aswell. Not everyone make simple edm-ish music with a few synth instances per song. So improved cpu usage would be mostly welcome!

The only other wish is perhaps variable oscillators, a few more modifications (like 2 more add and multiply) and a shimmer effect;-)

Return to “u-he”