Diva on Ryzen

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

We had a brief test with Diva on Ryzen 7 1800X, and it seems to be a hell of a CPU:
  • init patch
  • resonance fully up
  • 16 voices
  • Divine mode
  • no Multicore
  • ... not a crackle 8)

I don't recall any CPU that does this off-the-shelf, and not for 500 bucks.

We'll do some more intensive testing and keep you posted.

- Urs

And I just updated my computar last year with an i7 4790k ...
dedication to flying

OC?

4damind wrote:OC?
Nothing. Zero overclocking.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

That's funny, I thought the ryzen might under perform intel on single core. Would an intel with similar specs crackle?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:That's funny, I thought the ryzen might under perform intel on single core. Would an intel with similar specs crackle?
Yes, I saw benchmarks with not so good results for single core apps but other benchmarks with multicore apps where Ryzen smoked a similar Intel (eg. I7 7700).

Wow, this is rather contrary to everything else we've seen so far. I'd have thought even an i3/i5 would be smashing Ryzen in a pure single core test!

Can you nail down why we're seeing such excellent results here? Something about the architecture that's amenable to divinity perhaps? There's that massive cache and all...

These are indeed exciting times on the CPU front!

Good news :tu:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Hehe, all we did was, ask ourselves "will Diva run on Ryzen?" - because inevitably, the question will come up. So we ordered & built a system and tried it. I think it's remarkable. That machine seems to fly.

Certainly, top of the line Intel i7 are in the same league, if not beyond. It's just, we don't have any similar CPU, it's the first time we have a CPU that fast.

My feeling is, we've got good times ahead - finally a break through in price / performance :-)

rod_zero wrote:And I just updated my computar last year with an i7 4790k ...
That's still a pretty great CPU.

Happy here with i7-6700K at 4.4 GHz (and it was less than $500 :)) :hyper:

Urs wrote:Hehe, all we did was, ask ourselves "will Diva run on Ryzen?" - because inevitably, the question will come up. So we ordered & built a system and tried it. I think it's remarkable. That machine seems to fly.

Certainly, top of the line Intel i7 are in the same league, if not beyond. It's just, we don't have any similar CPU, it's the first time we have a CPU that fast.

My feeling is, we've got good times ahead - finally a break through in price / performance :-)
You have a result with multicore? How many voices on divine before you get crackles,etc..?

I was very very wary of real world performance of these new AMD chips but benchmarks are coming from everywhere with great results. intel already slashed some prices. I hope intel finally gets going again and makes some significant gains in performance in a year or maybe two, the CPU market has been stagnant for quite a while.
dedication to flying

Honestly, I'm absolutely blown away by this. I mean, single core performance is pretty similar across all i-series Intel CPUs, and even with the potential huge increase in multicore power, weak single core performance was a concern for me with Ryzen as I do so much sound design in ancient single threaded apps like FScape and CDP.

Amazed that we're also starting to see use cases where single core performance pulls away from the competition. It's something I just didn't see coming.

Finally Intel get some serious competition! :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

I always buy AMD. They had the first 1 gb cpu (intel oc'd theirs) and every 5_7 years they come up with something good. (Which is roughly when i buy a new pc)
Bang for buck, they have always been the best option.
My current pc is a pretty old amd quad core (tho i dont have any probs with plugins), so i may get a new one in the summer.

Return to “u-he”