Repro - Aftertouch vibrato?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

New user here, loving Repro and just had a very basic question that is nevertheless stumping me.
As the title says, I just want to engage vibrato on aftertouch.
As a start, I tried the mini-tutorial on page 17 of the repro manual, where it says "LFO vibrato via modulation wheel", figuring I could replace the wheel with aftertouch once I had it figured out.

BUT...here is the problem I run into. The instructions say:
"LFO vibrato via modulation wheel
Load the -INIT- preset and turn OSC B down to minimum in the MIXER
section. Turn MOD LFO amount in the modulation section up to about
20% and switch its output to the WHEEL bus. In the TO column, select
WH (wheel) as modulation input for OSC A FREQ (the uppermost
switch). In the LFO panel, adjust the RATE knob to about 75.
We now have vibrato via mod wheel –
"

But as soon as I click in the TO column, selecting WH (wheel) as modulation input for OSC A FREQ (the uppermost switch) all sound stops coming out of Repro and I am stuck. If I turn OSC B back up I can hear it, but still no joy as far as vibrato goes.

Any tips?
Or an easier way to just get vibrato from aftertouch?
I tried using the cool drag and drop targeting tools too, but sadly to no avail.

Thanks in advance! :)

Make sure that other TO switches are set to OFF.

Things that you need for aftertouch vibrato: set MOD LFO to DIRECT, set OSC A and B FREQ to DIR, and then use the PERFORM section to add aftertouch to Modulation: LFO amount. Adjust the amount of aftertouch modulation. Done.

This is how I do it, though, because it leaves me with RePro-1's modulation section completely free for other things: set Aftertouch in PERFORM section to modulate MIDI: Master Tune. Set amount. That's it. Then vibrato is done simply by wiggling your finger on the key, adding or removing aftertouch.

I always just map AT to small pitchbend ranges so I can do vibrato the way I would with an acoustic instrument, ie by vibrating my fingers on the keys to slightly modulate tune. I prefer this as it feels more organic and controllable than assigning the job to LFO or even worse a 'vibrato' effect.

Thanks all, that did the trick!
Loving Repro-1, its great! Just started a track featuring it as the lead, enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/jkg2/songs-for-fcking
Last edited by 24dB on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

delete

(Sorry if this posts twice.) I'm interested in your AT > Pitchbend method. Does this produce vibrato that only bends sharp?
aMUSEd wrote:I always just map AT to small pitchbend ranges so I can do vibrato the way I would with an acoustic instrument, ie by vibrating my fingers on the keys to slightly modulate tune. I prefer this as it feels more organic and controllable than assigning the job to LFO or even worse a 'vibrato' effect.

Just do what I said above (third paragraph) - and yes, produces only sharp bends.

In Repro-5, can polyphonic aftertouch control vibrato depth? I found presets where P-AT works with filter cutoff, for example, but not with vibrato depth. Thanks. (Yes, I use a P-AT controller.)

Hi BG,

while I don't have a poly aftertouch controller at hand, if you say it works for filter cutoff, it might also work for modulation depths, in this case a modulation of LFO to oscillator. But it wouldn't work for independant vibrato speeds as the LFO in Repro-5 is monophonic, can't have separate speeds).
Also, since R5 only has two mod matrix slots, you can set up poly aftertouch vibrato for one oscillator only. Unless you sync them - you decide if that's the sound you want to go for.

It needs both mod slots to set up.
Use one mod slot to assign the LFO to an oscillator's pitch.
Use the other mod slot to assign aftertouch to the first mod slot's modulation depth.

Cheers!
Viktor

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:42 pm Use one mod slot to assign the LFO to an oscillator's pitch.
Use the other mod slot to assign aftertouch to the first mod slot's modulation depth.
Hey, it works! Simple, but I never would have figured it out. Thanks, Viktor.

Return to “u-he”