Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

:)

I mean not that I'm not a fan, I meant that the reason i bought repro-5 was not because i was a fan of prophet 5 (Becasue i didn't really know it!), but because it sounds amazing on its own right and am now consequently a fan of prophet 5.

thanks for the vid

Ploki wrote::)

I mean not that I'm not a fan, I meant that the reason i bought repro-5 was not because i was a fan of prophet 5 (Becasue i didn't really know it!), but because it sounds amazing on its own right and am now consequently a fan of prophet 5.

thanks for the vid
All I really meant was I did not think you were barging in. :D :tu:

Aaah :)

Okay. thanks for hospitality. Hope I'll be able to contribute something useful eventually

Urs wrote:
klinik wrote:Urs, with the new browser there is a easy way to navigate and change preset in remote using MIDI commands? Something like next/previous using MIDI? The only way for now is using the Midi programs folder. Thats could be fine when you have a "set" prepared for live use but not a solution when you are just auditioning preset, navigating and editing drom remote keyboards, etc...
I hope that has been taking in consideration when making the new browser!
That is independent of the new browser. The browser works on user input, which is fine to load files. MIDI however happens in a time critical manner, so neither file access nor memory allocation are allowed. We can probably figure something out where a MIDI control change triggers a fake user action, with a short delay to pass the info on from MIDI to UI. But that would still require the UI to be open, and it would indeed make sense to finish the browser first.
@urs
Oh yes, this would be realy great. I truely miss going trough the patches without touching the host computer. Any chance this could come to all U-He's plug-ins... please?

Cheers,
Joris

The topic died a litte bit, more than 3 weeks without a post...
I feel bad for plugin developers if even a top plugin doesn't get people interested and excited (enough to talk about it) for more than few months.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:The topic died a litte bit, more than 3 weeks without a post...
I feel bad for plugin developers if even a top plugin doesn't get people interested and excited (enough to talk about it) for more than few months.
Maybe there's just not much else to say about it. It's certainly a fantastic bit of gear and I hope the U-he folks sold lots of licenses over the last few months.

Mutant wrote:The topic died a litte bit, more than 3 weeks without a post...
Gee, I dunno, maybe they're all PLAYING the synth they're interested and excited about instead of TYPING about it in an online forum. Imagine that!

hakey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:they have resonance compensation built in. The very thing that people complain about in Repro-1

A minor gripe is that there isn't sufficient gain on the output knob to volume match high resonance and low/no resonance presets. Using the Sonic Conditioner is a work around, but not without drawbacks (preset browsing with fx disabled).
I assume the resonance behaviour on Repro-5 is by design and probably more authentic. But, is there a good way to deal with the huge increase in volume that happens on when you turn down the resonance?

jbone1313 wrote: I assume the resonance behaviour on Repro-5 is by design and probably more authentic. But, is there a good way to deal with the huge increase in volume that happens on when you turn down the resonance?
Usually people refer to this the other way around -- a huge decrease in volume as resonance goes up, but whatever ;)

The recommended approach is to work with the Output knob and the Sonic Conditioner effect to achieve your desired levels. SC alone should be able to get you wherever you need to go, level wise.

-M

jbone1313 wrote:
hakey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:they have resonance compensation built in. The very thing that people complain about in Repro-1

A minor gripe is that there isn't sufficient gain on the output knob to volume match high resonance and low/no resonance presets. Using the Sonic Conditioner is a work around, but not without drawbacks (preset browsing with fx disabled).
I assume the resonance behaviour on Repro-5 is by design and probably more authentic. But, is there a good way to deal with the huge increase in volume that happens on when you turn down the resonance?
No. That's how the filter is on an actual Prophet. Typical ladder design, it will always have a drop in volume when increasing resonance. Live with it :)

jbone1313 wrote:
hakey wrote:

Add a compressor

Thanks for all the replies, y'all.
mholloway wrote:Usually people refer to this the other way around -- a huge decrease in volume as resonance goes up, but whatever ;)
lol - I thought about that while I was typing my original post, but I just went with it. Most of my patches have a good bit of resonance these days, so only when I open up the filter (for the sick build-ups, man) does the volume crank up.
mholloway wrote:The recommended approach is to work with the Output knob and the Sonic Conditioner effect to achieve your desired levels. SC alone should be able to get you wherever you need to go, level wise.-M
I assume all that requires manual knob-turning. I'm looking for something more automatic, like a compressor. Speaking of compressors...
AnX wrote:Add a compressor
Good call! I mostly do not use velocity with my synth patches so that will probably meet my needs.
EvilDragon wrote:No. That's how the filter is on an actual Prophet. Typical ladder design, it will always have a drop in volume when increasing resonance. Live with it :)
I figured. I guess I'm spoiled, because I'm coming to Repro-5 from my DSI Prophet 6. The Prophet 6 *seems* to have some sort of resonance compensation - at least to my ears.

Funny side note: I often see people comparing the P6 to the P5. After using Repro-5, I can say that I MUCH prefer the P6 to the P5. For me, the sub-osc adds a huge dimension to the sound that I am missing in Repro-5/P5. That, of course, is no fault of Repro-5. If I never owned the P6, I would not know the difference. Ignorance is bliss/spoiled for choice. :)

Depending on how you plan on modulating resonance and how many mod slots you have available, you can use Sonic Conditioner to automatically compensate for the resonance without the need for a compressor/limiter. For instance...

1. Assign Mod Slot 1 to increase resonance via Modwheel (for example, you can pick whatever you want)
2. Set the depth of this parameter to your desired max level

Now, as you increase your modwheel, the patch gets quieter as resonance increases. So...

3. Assign Mod Slot 2 to increase the Sonic Conditioner gain via that same control in step 1 (Modwheel)
4. With the Modwheel (or whatever other parameter you assigned) set to maximum...
5. Adjust the depth of Mod Slot 2 until the Sonic Conditioner's output gain is roughly the same level with the Modwheel at max as it is at minimum

Result: increasing the Resonance via Modwheel automatically adds volume compensation via the Sonic Conditioner. When I've done it in the past, it's worked very well.

Great suggestion! Will try that!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:...
I ended up going with a modified version of your suggestion above by using Ableton's macros and an Ableton Utility device. Works great. And, I do not have any of the sound coloration given by the Sonic Conditioner.

Thanks again for the idea!

Return to “u-he”