What would you say comparing ACE and Bazille

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACE (Any Cable Everywhere) Bazille

Can you point out main comparisons and contrasts between these 2 please? Could you say that ACE is a kind of subset of Bazille? Or are they totally different?

Thank you!

Greg

Two different synths by miles.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

shroom81 wrote:Two different synths by miles.
O. hmmm.

They are both modular and they both come from U-he. But IMHO the similarities stops there. Bazille have a ton more functionality and they sound very different.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Power of the Bazille really comes from its oscillators

Besides pitch and volume you have 3 "unusual" parameters:

1. Phase mod
2. Phase distortion
3. Fractalization

Any of these can be modulated not just with lfos but also other oscillators - you can archieve very rich and agressive sounds this way which I would call a "trademark" of Bazille.

Ace shares similarities with Bazille but its more "classic approach" synth. Its very organic and full of character. "Chords" folder in preset menu is trully jaw-dropping. And the workflow is nice and fast.

Ace definitely isnt a "demo version" for Bazille. Its a different synth with different workflow and different character.

I had ACE for a long time before I got Bazille, but it was only after I learned how to use the latter that I really began to appreciate the former.

Both are excellent and complimentary IMO.

Similarities:

Developer
Modular

Differencies:

Everything else

While there are several differences, the driving difference beyond simply the additional complexity in Bazille, is that ACE has traditional VA style oscillators that give you the standard waveforms easily and allows you to easily morph between them. Bazille, OTOH, has marvelously complex and interesting oscillators but you'll have to think a bit more to get standard VA style waveforms, especially if you're trying to morph between them, and, IMO, it's unlikely that they'll ever sound exactly "correct."

IMO, ACE is absolutely the biggest bargain from Uhe and a great place to start wrapping your head around what you can get from audio rate modulation in software. Bazille is a marvelous synth, but, I think that you'll get more from it after you've spent some time with ACE. Also, to really get the most out of Bazille, you have to spend some time getting to know her oscillators.

Hi Killmaster

For me the biggest difference is the taste in synth.

I would say that Ace tastes a bit like liquorice, whilst Bazille has more of a nutty flavour.
Also, Ace is great to play if you're after the phattest thinness, whilst Bazille excels more at thin phatness.
Both can be viewed through 3D goggles but only Bazille looks good imho when you turn your monitor (or head) upside down.

By the way, u-he provide demos for both synths.
So rather than take our subjective opinions (which might not answer what you're looking for precisely enough), why not take them for a spin and see what desciptive terms you can come up with regarding their differences.

FWIW, Diva definitely has a fruity undercarriage.

Maykie wrote:Power of the Bazille really comes from its oscillators

Besides pitch and volume you have 3 "unusual" parameters:

1. Phase mod
2. Phase distortion
3. Fractalization

Any of these can be modulated not just with lfos but also other oscillators - you can archieve very rich and agressive sounds this way which I would call a "trademark" of Bazille.

Ace shares similarities with Bazille but its more "classic approach" synth. Its very organic and full of character. "Chords" folder in preset menu is trully jaw-dropping. And the workflow is nice and fast.

Ace definitely isnt a "demo version" for Bazille. Its a different synth with different workflow and different character.
Great! Thank you for your thoughts!

stimresp wrote:I had ACE for a long time before I got Bazille, but it was only after I learned how to use the latter that I really began to appreciate the former.

Both are excellent and complimentary IMO.
O great! I've been reading the Bazille manual recently and that's why I posted out. Its got so much going on and I was thinking, should I just "start" with ACE.

ghettosynth wrote:While there are several differences, the driving difference beyond simply the additional complexity in Bazille, is that ACE has traditional VA style oscillators that give you the standard waveforms easily and allows you to easily morph between them. Bazille, OTOH, has marvelously complex and interesting oscillators but you'll have to think a bit more to get standard VA style waveforms, especially if you're trying to morph between them, and, IMO, it's unlikely that they'll ever sound exactly "correct."

IMO, ACE is absolutely the biggest bargain from Uhe and a great place to start wrapping your head around what you can get from audio rate modulation in software. Bazille is a marvelous synth, but, I think that you'll get more from it after you've spent some time with ACE. Also, to really get the most out of Bazille, you have to spend some time getting to know her oscillators.
Thanks a lot! Makes sense. I was delving into Bazille and a little overwhealmed, thus the post!

dark water wrote:Hi Killmaster

For me the biggest difference is the taste in synth.

I would say that Ace tastes a bit like liquorice, whilst Bazille has more of a nutty flavour.
Also, Ace is great to play if you're after the phattest thinness, whilst Bazille excels more at thin phatness.
Both can be viewed through 3D goggles but only Bazille looks good imho when you turn your monitor (or head) upside down.

By the way, u-he provide demos for both synths.
So rather than take our subjective opinions (which might not answer what you're looking for precisely enough), why not take them for a spin and see what desciptive terms you can come up with regarding their differences.

FWIW, Diva definitely has a fruity undercarriage.
Haha, this has to be the best description I've ever heard! I feel like I get it right away! I own both synths, just never got into them and its time. Time is a factor, so picking one and going with it is important for me right now... thank you!

well, they're both spinoffs of the Berlin Modular project. owning both grants some sort of favor if and when the Berlin is ever formally introduced, i believe.

Thank you too - believe me, there's a few people here who might have got angry at my (perhaps flippant) reply :hihi:

Serious answer: if you've only got time for one then use Bazille.
I wouldn't call ACE a light or demo version of Bazille, but to me Bazille feels more fully developed (and it was also the later of the two synths created).

For time reasons, I often like to tweak third party presets more than design my own, and there are some truly astounding Bazille presets from the likes of Zensound and Leap into the Void.
ACE lacks such a wide range of excellent third party presets imho.

:phones:

Return to “u-he”