MPE with Pan?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was experimenting with trying to use MPE with panning on Diva tonight. I'm using Rev 4078.

It appears that by the time you get to the pan mod, the oscillators have been combined and it's too late for MPE. I think it's just taking the average of the values (I tried Bitwig's pressure in this case) and Diva is panning everything in that direction. Is there some way to get this to work other than creating a pile of Divas each with their own pan amount?

I did try putting pressure on the filter cutoff and that did seem to work as I expected, and it sounded very nice. :)

Diva doesn’t have stereo oscillators or panning in the mixer, but most of the synths it’s emulating didn’t even have a stereo output. No need. Maybe the tool you seek is Zebra HZ? That’ll get you there.

How do you like Bitwig for MPE? I’m thinking of abandoning Live for it. I hoped to make due with Waveform, but it’s having issues running a jBridged plugin that I use a lot. Möbius. It’s basically the core of my workflow.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Diva doesn’t have stereo oscillators or panning in the mixer, but most of the synths it’s emulating didn’t even have a stereo output. No need. Maybe the tool you seek is Zebra HZ? That’ll get you there.

How do you like Bitwig for MPE? I’m thinking of abandoning Live for it. I hoped to make due with Waveform, but it’s having issues running a jBridged plugin that I use a lot. Möbius. It’s basically the core of my workflow.
In Diva, you can only pan per voice, not individual oscillators within a voice.

With my Linnstrument, I set Timbre to Modwheel (it does not require CC74 which the u-he synths do not support). I set Pan to -100 - set Pan Mod to +100 and use the Add modulator. In the Add modulator, I put Modwheel twice. Now I can play individual notes and pan them left to right depending on where I play the pad on the Y axis.

Zebra 2 (including HZ) does not support MPE like the other u-he synths do. Zebra 3 will.

Hive has panning at the Osc level and supports MPE.

The oscillators have the same pan of course, but VOICES can be panned apart.

I actually came up with a cool idea just after I posted this. Instead of relying on MPE, went with the pile of Divas approach. I split the expected notes I was going to use into three zones and used a note filter to filter out notes outside of the zone. Each zone has a diva followed by a pan device using some wacky modulation to create a random yet smooth individual pan for each zone. It sounds quite amazing now, and I didn't have to program any expressions into each note.
CrazyPan.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “u-he”